Dragon Quest VIII Heads to 3DS on August 27
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Square Enix announced on Wednesday that it will port its 2004 PlayStation 2 role-playing game Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi to the Nintendo 3DS platform. Square Enix also launched a website for the game
Square Enix has slated the game for an August 27 release, and it will cost 5,980 yen (about US$49).
The game will include a new story scenario and two new party members: a female thief named Gelda, and Morrie from the Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road arcade game. The game will also support the Nintendo 3DS platform's StreetPass system.
The port will add voiceovers for all the game's event scenes, and will also add an orchestral score performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra.
The game will come with in-game items as pre-order bonuses, which will differ depending on where the game is pre-ordered:
- Square Enix e-Store: "Candy Cane" (can equip on Yangus)
- Amazon.co.jp: "Healie T-Shirt" (can equip on everyone)
- Aeon: "Healie Cap" (can equip on everyone)
- Game Tsutaya: "Gold Bamboo Spear" (can equip on main character)
- 7-Eleven: "Lucky Pendant" (can equip on everyone)
- Yodobashi Camera/Yodobashi.com: "Metal Slime Tray" (can equip on everyone)
Square Enix first released Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi (Dragon Quest VIII: The Sky, the Ocean, the Earth, and the Cursed Princess) for the PlayStation 2 in Japan in 2004, and then in North America in 2005, with the title Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. Square Enix released the iOS/Android port of the game in Japan in December 2013, and released the port worldwide last May.