• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takuhii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Assassin_ wrote:
Quote:
i think this was in an old issue of Neo Magazine in the UK (about the only decent magazine going in the UK that talks about Anime).

Why is it that nowhere sells that magasine?
[/quote]

I buy mine from HMV, WHSMITHs seem to have stopped selling it, or have moved it to some obscure section of the store...
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I stopped trying to figure out the movie and just read the manga.

Much better IMO.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:
I THINK one of the shortfalls of the film was the ending, I recall he had to "do it on the fly", becuase the manga wasn't finished. I got the feeling he was trying to imply everything had come full circle and (Neo) Tokyo was destroyed by a mysterious explosion again (remember the explosion at the beginning fo the film is VERY similar to the one generated by Akira at the end). I'm afraid I haven't got the issue to hand anymore, but I do remember parts of the interview, because I still consider Akira to be one of the major turning points in Anime, despite it's plot holes and short-falls. The Manga certainly explains some of them (I'm slowly plowing my way through it)...

i didn't even no there was a manga >.<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
takuhii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
you don't know what you're missing friend
Guilhem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
The manga is very good but the part concerning the hunt into the city is too much long IMO: it slightly smells 'the longer it is, the better for the sales it is' I think

A very recommendable manga anyway Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Assassin_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:
Assassin_ wrote:
Quote:
i think this was in an old issue of Neo Magazine in the UK (about the only decent magazine going in the UK that talks about Anime).

Why is it that nowhere sells that magasine?

I buy mine from HMV, WHSMITHs seem to have stopped selling it, or have moved it to some obscure section of the store...[/quote]

Turns out it is still in WHSmiths (or at leest the big one in the trafford center), in the entertainment section. Its also in Borders, same section (allthogh I've only seen it at the stockport one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
I stopped caring when Tetsuo turned into a giant ball of snot...a stupid, nonsensical ending to a stupid, nonsensical movie. The butt-ugly character designs didn't do much for me either.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I believe that in the end, when Tetsuo started accumulating so much energy, he triggered a process similar to that of a birth of a universe (the doctor's words), only within himself. This fits snugly into the philosophy of solipsism, one of the least explored and least understood creation theories to have ever appeared. That's what PROBABLY happened to Tetsuo's... uh... personality? Essence? Soul? The mystery is in what happened to his body and the world around it. That there was a big boom similar to that in Akira's case, only many times bigger, is certain. It COULD be just the author's way to emphasize the significance of the events happening in the movie (similar to the "physical shock" in End of Evangelion), or it could mean something else that eludes me completely. Maybe Tetsuo's memory of the explosion can yield some clues... damn, I need to rewatch.
BOOMpass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I stopped caring when Tetsuo turned into a giant ball of snot...a stupid, nonsensical ending to a stupid, nonsensical movie. The butt-ugly character designs didn't do much for me either.

Shocked How else do you think someone would react if they were completely out of control of their own body? play a satisfying game of golf!? lol
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
BOOMpass wrote:
Shocked How else do you think someone would react if they were completely out of control of their own body? play a satisfying game of golf!? lol

You have a good point there, but still the movie as whole missed the mark for me. I never understood why it often gets mentioned with the first Ghost in the Shell movie as one of the "classics" of anime even though it's not in the same league.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
BOOMpass wrote:

You have a good point there, but still the movie as whole missed the mark for me. I never understood why it often gets mentioned with the first Ghost in the Shell movie as one of the "classics" of anime even though it's not in the same league.

I was more confused with Ghost in the Shell then I ever was with Akira. Personally I hate ghost in the shell because I thought the storyline was just boring and not there to pull me in. Graphically GitS was good but the story, gosts tryign to figure out what those are, who's the puppet master, what the hell is he talking about, just really broke my concentration and ultimately made me hate it. Akira I had no troubles. I did question alot of the items in the movie but it wasn't in the middle of the movie, I questioned them at the end. Where as GitS I was constantly questioning items DURING the movie, and which I can never get into a movie like that, however, after watching hte movie more then once I did understand alot more but still it never change the fact that I don't like the movie. The show is good but movie...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Assassin_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote
Darth_Blade wrote:
Well, I believe that in the end, when Tetsuo started accumulating so much energy, he triggered a process similar to that of a birth of a universe (the doctor's words), only within himself.

I acatully think thats what the universe it was set in was, in a previus universe, there was a guy called Akira who had a similar experience to Tetsuo, and had that universe spawn itself within him.

By the way, i recently lent my Akira DVD to my philosophy teecher to see what he thort of the ending, and i hate to say it but he never reeched the ending, and i think i mite have put him off anime for life >.<;; he stopped watchin when Tetsuo's stomach fell out, thinkin the rest of the filom was gonna be the same, and he just thinks the hole films just completely sick. And becos its the only experience he's had with anime, its the only thing he has to judge it by...
Assassin_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Boomer wrote:
BOOMpass wrote:

I was more confused with Ghost in the Shell then I ever was with Akira. Personally I hate ghost in the shell because I thought the storyline was just boring and not there to pull me in. Graphically GitS was good but the story, gosts tryign to figure out what those are, who's the puppet master, what the hell is he talking about, just really broke my concentration and ultimately made me hate it. Akira I had no troubles. I did question alot of the items in the movie but it wasn't in the middle of the movie, I questioned them at the end. Where as GitS I was constantly questioning items DURING the movie, and which I can never get into a movie like that, however, after watching hte movie more then once I did understand alot more but still it never change the fact that I don't like the movie. The show is good but movie...

I actaully didn't think GitS was that grate. The art was amazing, the story was intriging and the action was good, but it just wasnt put together in a way that made me reelly CARE about what happened to the caras, and becos of that, the action didn't effect me and i wasnt able to get into the story. Anyone no what i meen?
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The manga is pretty expensive up here. Is it worth buying? It runs for about %$36 bucks a graphic novel.
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, just buy them from amazon.com for like $17 USD each and plus the shipping it's still hella cheaper than $36 CAD per volume.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6