• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Cup champions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I think something along the lines of Bamboo Blade or Princess Nine -- somewhere between those two -- would make for an interesting show about soccer. I realize Bamboo Blade was only a mostly female team but I really liked the tone of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A Mystery wrote:
I find it hilarious to see how the players act like they're wounded terribly by the opponent, but then, a few seconds later, stand up and play like nothing happened. (Oh yeah, and hysterical Dutch fans would make it even weirder)

You need to watch NBA (i.e. American pro) and college basketball sometime, then. Happens all the time there, too.

As for "hysterical fans," just do a search sometime for "crazy NFL (American) football fans." The more outlandish ones can probably match anything that the Dutch fans come up with - see an example here for some of my hometown fans. And that's not even really an extreme example.

I agree. There is definitely plenty of play acting in every sport, but it seems people only like to point at football (soccer) as the only sport it occurs in especially by the likes of ESPN who are heavily invested in "American" sports. In every NBA game, you hear players scream at the top of their lungs when they get tapped on the wrist or arm as if something is broken and then immediately shoot a foul shot perfectly fine afterwords. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Hungry Heart - Wild Striker had a girl's soccer team. Admittedly the show isn't about them - the main focus is on the boys' team - however from the few mid-season episodes I've seen the story of the girls' team seems to make up a fairly big B-plot.
kami-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
I would like to keep my thread from becoming a rant on poor sportsmanship. I realize bad acting occurs on every professional stage. But so does heroism. Let's go back to Japan's quarterfinal win over Germany. a few minutes into overtime Japan's star player, Homare Sawa takes a painful kick from a German player in a spot that, to put it mildly, would make every man grimace. She was down for several minutes. I didn't need to be an OB/GYN to know that she was in a lot of pain. Yet to the surprise of almost everyone she refused to leave the game for a substitute, and later in overtime she made a picture perfect pass to Karina Maruyama for the game-winning goal. I know it can be annoying as hell to watch Ronaldo writhe around after a simple foul. But what Sawa-sama did made me fall in love with soccer all over again. As I've said before, this is a great story. I hope like hell it gets the go-ahead.
kami-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A Mystery wrote:
I find it hilarious to see how the players act like they're wounded terribly by the opponent, but then, a few seconds later, stand up and play like nothing happened. (Oh yeah, and hysterical Dutch fans would make it even weirder)

You need to watch NBA (i.e. American pro) and college basketball sometime, then. Happens all the time there, too.

As for "hysterical fans," just do a search sometime for "crazy NFL (American) football fans." The more outlandish ones can probably match anything that the Dutch fans come up with - see an example here for some of my hometown fans. And that's not even really an extreme example.

as a die hard Minnesota Vikings fan, I'm probably just as guilty. And us Viking fans don't have a championship to celebrate. God save us all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2