• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Chairman, CEO Alfred R. Kahn Retires

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Some of you seem to be under the impression that this will magically change the practices of 4Kids in their treatment of anime.

Protip: It probably won't.

Of course it won't; everybody knows that. Still, the absolute best we can hope from them is better ADR, minimal changes, and subbed episodes online ASAP. And I hope that they could take another look into producing some of their own shows again instead of going with the "all anime" strategy they're currently focused on. Because believe or not, when they wanted to, even 4kids Entertainment was capable of making quality programs.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
That's "up to $1.5m" ... 4Kids has to survive another six months for him to get the full amount.

I'm curious as to why you keep saying that. It's a contract that says 4Kids will pay 6 quarter million dollar payments over the next half a year. I didn't see anywhere that says 4Kids gets out of the payments if they file for bankruptcy. Are you just assuming that this contract will be one of the financial obligations that 4Kids sheds should it file?
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
I wish 4kids would follow the pratices of other anime companies when it comes to making anime ok for children. They should dub anime uncut and then edit it for tv like how it was on toonami. That way it will be ok for tv and at the same time the older fans can by the uncut subbed releases. If they did that they would probably get some cred back.
darkrunner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Some of you seem to be under the impression that this will magically change the practices of 4Kids in their treatment of anime.

Protip: It probably won't.

That's not a bad thing, though. They release subbed Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds (and Sonic X, I believe?) on their own website, Toonzaki. The only reason they don't have original Yu-Gi-Oh! is because the rights to Yugi's voice actor expired, or something like that. Their practices, on the internet at least, are much getting much closer to all the other anime dubbing companies.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So any chance the new CEO will make positive changes rather than well, for lack of better words, the changes or for lack of changes that occurred during the time of the last CEO?

Does this change what 4kids did to One Piece? Not precisely, but this might be the time to start anew with a new CEO.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter anymore. 4Kids is gonna be gone. Kahn has $1.5 million chillaxing at Madoff's old pad. Forget it.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Given the way that 4Kids really dropped the ball on both Winx Club and Huntix, small wonder why Viacom's Nickelodeon snapped up the Winx Club franchise in no time flat.

I wouldn't be surprised many of the anime properties licensed by 4Kids ends up in the hands of FUNimation, Nozomi Entertainment and Sentai Filmworks....
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
He had a pretty good run until the last 5 years. He did Pokemon good, and even swindled the Japanese for some money, teaching them a great lesson. He did Yugioh enough justice ... IMO ... to some extent. And I hear he was nice to his employees. Everyone needs to retire, it was time for him after working for over 25 years.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
agila61 wrote:
That's "up to $1.5m" ... 4Kids has to survive another six months for him to get the full amount.
I'm curious as to why you keep saying that. It's a contract that says 4Kids will pay 6 quarter million dollar payments over the next half a year. I didn't see anywhere that says 4Kids gets out of the payments if they file for bankruptcy. Are you just assuming that this contract will be one of the financial obligations that 4Kids sheds should it file?
Yes, from the kind of results they were reporting, I am assuming that if 4Kids is taken into Chapter 7 liquidation by senior creditors, there won't be enough money to pay all the secured creditors in full, so the unsecured creditors will be left with something between diddly and squat.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't have many feelings over this, not really ever dealing with 4kids's properties and the like, but let's hope we get a new leader for this company who know's what he/she's doing.

The only problem I see is that a vast majority of anime, even ones for Japanese kids, are too risque to come over here without censorship. This is less a problem in the anime, and more in America's draconian "PROTECT TEH CHILDREN!!11!!" bullcrap. I'm a conservative, and I still think they take it too far.

Then there's the problem of the Animation Age Ghetto. I really wish that America would let go of these draconian puritanical values and realize that kids can take a lot more than we give them credit for. Until that happens, we'll probably still have to deal with censorship...
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't have many feelings over this, not really ever dealing with 4kids's properties and the like, but let's hope we get a new leader for this company who know's what he/she's doing.

The only problem I see is that a vast majority of anime, even ones for Japanese kids, are too risque to come over here without censorship. This is less a problem in the anime, and more in America's draconian "PROTECT TEH CHILDREN!!11!!" bullcrap. I'm a conservative, and I still think they take it too far.

Then there's the problem of the Animation Age Ghetto. I really wish that America would let go of these draconian puritanical values and realize that kids can take a lot more than we give them credit for. Until that happens, we'll probably still have to deal with censorship...

Agree with you there since there are worse things that can affect children than television. Heck there was once a time when television was worse than it is now due to it being reserved for family programs only. Besides part of the problem is that people is people live in ignorance, fear, and denial. While the most extreme things technically must be censored, the minor trivial things do not.

Also I am glad that Al Kahn is retiring since Kahn had openly insulted the anime and manga community and rely on the kinds of survey's which in my view are partly inaccurate, since surveys can never really bring an exact estimate on what society does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3