• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin to Be 2-Part Shin Kyoto Video Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
The first series ended because there were too many fillers and people lost interest. And now they for some reason they don't wanna finish it even though that was the idea people got and they were happy with it. And then they change it to a movie remake? What a bunch of SOBs!

And speaking of fillers, Japanese studios really do need to do something about them. If the first series had not had so much filler then no one would have lost interest and we wouldn't be seeing these pointless remakes.

I hope one day all filler-infested anime will receive the Dragon Ball Z Kai treatment and anything incomplete would go on to be finished. That was RK's problem and that's why this is happening -

Or if they don't at least give us just an ending, like Urusei Yatsura movie 5 and InuYasha: The Final Act.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although....If they make this movie Samurai X style...I might just be interested again, I always thought Kenshin should have been as dark and intense as that, not that RK itself was bad or anything.
Ushee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Now that I've had time to cool down a little I don't think this is a terrible idea.

People have already made very good points about how a fresh perspective could make this arc more interesting, and how it can generate fan interest which could lead to more movies/a series in the future. The only worry I have is that by skipping that first arc you are missing out on some character development so the 'firefly scene' won't have as much as an emotional impact as the tv series. I just hope they don't dive right into the action and can establish some development beforehand.

EDIT:
There's also a spelling mistake in the second paragraph where Misao is called Miso.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I hope one day all filler-infested anime will receive the Dragon Ball Z Kai treatment and anything incomplete would go on to be finished.

Yeah because we know how well that worked out for Kai. Rolling Eyes
Moli_Malone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
I just hope this is a simple "prologue" to the Jinchuu arc, like the animation movie of ANJ of 1980, prologue to ANJ-2...
LaSean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
The first series ended because there were too many fillers and people lost interest. And now they for some reason they don't wanna finish it even though that was the idea people got and they were happy with it. And then they change it to a movie remake? What a bunch of SOBs!

And speaking of fillers, Japanese studios really do need to do something about them. If the first series had not had so much filler then no one would have lost interest and we wouldn't be seeing these pointless remakes.
That was RK's problem and that's why this is happening -

Where are you getting that from? I never heard anyone complain about RK. To me RK is perfect as it is, filler included. Now bleach on the other hand needs to cut filler cause most of its filler was pointless and had no bearing on the plot. Anyway I'm just happy for new RK even if its a retelling.

And I don't remember any filler in RK like I do in other shows. So the filler in RK couldn't have been bad or noticeable like in bleach,naruto, inuyasha etc
scriver058

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

That was RK's problem and that's why this is happening -

Where are you getting that from? I never heard anyone complain about RK. To me RK is perfect as it is, filler included. Now bleach on the other hand needs to cut filler cause most of its filler was pointless and had no bearing on the plot. Anyway I'm just happy for new RK even if its a retelling.

And I don't remember any filler in RK like I do in other shows. So the filler in RK couldn't have been bad or noticeable like in bleach,naruto, inuyasha etc

EVERYTHING after the Kyoto arc of the original anime was pretty noticeable filler, and while IMO it wasn't totally bad, collectively those 30 some odd episodes were terrible enough together that viewership fell off, and the anime was canceled.

I personally wasn't thrilled that this new Ruroken turned out to be a retelling of the Kyoto arc, but if this is good and eventually leads to Jinchu then I'm all for it.
Yuxing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this is just the opening act, and an actual series will follow sometime in the future. = =||||||||||||||||||||
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
The first series ended because there were too many fillers and people lost interest.

Where are you getting that from? I never heard anyone complain about RK. To me RK is perfect as it is, filler included. ... Anyway I'm just happy for new RK even if its a retelling.

The entire 3rd season was complete filler (as well as about a quarter of the first arc). If it followed the manga, it would've gone into the Jinchuu/Enishi arc from the Kyoto arc, which it did not. Reviews gave it Ds, and the friend who got me into RK, warned me to stay very very far away from s3.

When I rewatch RK nowadays, I skip all of first season fillers, and then watch the entire Kyoto arc, and then stop.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
So, they're animating a compressed version of the arc that was already done justice in the TV series.

My god, it's like its own punchline.
...except no one is laughing. Confused
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think this is great personally. The video quality was absolutely crap for any of the RK sets released here in the US. If this does well you have a good chance of seeing the Jinchuu arc. So I see absolutely nothing that is a real problem here in the long run.

Now, for those who say they'd prefer this to also cover the first arc, I would have to agree with that. It does seem a little odd for me to cut into the middle without redoing the first part, but again, perhaps they do it later? I don't know. If anything this may just be to see if there is significant interest.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The video quality was absolutely crap for any of the RK sets released here in the US.

Yeah well the series was first released during Media Blasters' early DVD days (which was around 2000) and those same discs were used for the later sets which is unfortunate. If they were to release a remastered version similar to what Berserk & Magic Knight Rayearth recently got then it would be a lot better than the original discs in both video & audio quality and would be worth double-dipping for.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sign me up! Can I haz Blu-ray preorder nao?
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Not to pile on but...I'm going to pile on:

The fight with Shishio was fine in the anime. Redoing it is pointless.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
I hope one day all filler-infested anime will receive the Dragon Ball Z Kai treatment and anything incomplete would go on to be finished.

Yeah, worked out GREAT, if you ask me! If I remember correctly the ratings for Kai were in the Top 10 almost every week! As much as I'd like to believe FMA:B was a smashing success, it really was kinda ineffective in the ratings, falling below 5 million most weeks, despite the fact that it had a timeslot that was the Japanese equivalent of part of an NFL game.

As for Rurouni Kenshin, it is kind of a let-down that it won't be a new series, if only because now there's no excuse for the whole thing to return to [adult swim] as a package deal.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

Yeah, worked out GREAT, if you ask me! If I remember correctly the ratings for Kai were in the Top 10 almost every week!

You're right that it did have good ratings but the show did poorly in merchandise & home video sales which is one of the reasons why it ended the way it did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5