• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not News: Cameron on Battle Angel

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
According to an article in the British newspaper The Independent, James Cameron has confirmed that Battle Angel iis definitely his next project, contrary to rumors heard elsewhere. Although the article is mostly about Titanic-related issues, Cameron also talks about the development of new motion-capture technology to be used on the film and how excited he is to get working with it.

Credit Animenation for the source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
A few sites are reporting that James Cameron confirmed that Battle Angel is his next project in this interview.

He said not such thing and neither does the interviewer. It si stated that the project is in production, but says nothing about "Project 880" which may or may not come before Battle Angel. (he could easilly be working on both simultaneously).

In short, there's no news, merely a confirmation that he is working on Battle Angel, which he's already said a dozen times.

For fans of Cameron and Titanic, the article may be interesting. But for those interested in Battle Angel it says nothing new, there's just a cursory mention of the project towards the end that includes information that has already been posted on ANN and other sites.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it the most compelling thing in the world when we need to find a cure for Aids and millions of people are dying in Africa? No, on that scale, it's not a priority. But you have to think of the Titanic in terms of a feature film or a novel - something that touches people's emotions. Wrecks are human stories. They teach us something about ourselves.

Why would I want a shallow guy like him to direct GunM again...?

Quote:
"Unfortunately, our Western society tends to celebrate the wrong people, people who entertain us in a very superficial way but don't entertain us intellectually. I don't have any problem with those folks, I just don't think that they should be put on a pedestal."

I don't think he recognizes the irony of his comment.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Credit Animenation for the source.

Actually, I read about it at AiCN yesterday, but didn't post on it.

Since everyone's making a big deal of it though, I'm going to have to mention why I didn't post on it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tempest: If he's not that serious about it, he should probably just sell the anime back to ADV.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tempest: If he's not that serious about it, he should probably just sell the anime back to ADV.

I don't think I said that he wasn't serious about. Nor do I think anything I said implied that he wasn't serious about it.

If anything, what I said implied the opposite, but that would have been unintentional.

-t
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Is it the most compelling thing in the world when we need to find a cure for Aids and millions of people are dying in Africa? No, on that scale, it's not a priority. But you have to think of the Titanic in terms of a feature film or a novel - something that touches people's emotions. Wrecks are human stories. They teach us something about ourselves.

Why would I want a shallow guy like him to direct GunM again...?

Yeah...care to explain how what he said was shallow?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:

I don't think I said that he wasn't serious about. Nor do I think anything I said implied that he wasn't serious about it.

True, but your argument supports his lack of interest in the project. It's just something on his slate that he keeps bringing up in a desperate attempt to stay relevant. If he really cares, he'd do it. And there's no excuse for him not to, considering his reputation.

Andre:
Quote:
Yeah...care to explain how what he said was shallow?

He thinks a few hundred people dying in a shipwreck is more important than millions of people dying of AIDS.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He thinks a few hundred people dying in a shipwreck is more important than millions of people dying of AIDS.

So anyone who doesn't make a movie about AIDS is a failure as a director (forgive me if he made a comment relating to the subject)?
As for his directing BAA, I still don't think it's a bad idea. He's great at making big-budget action epics, and while it's unclear how he'll deal with the existentialism, I don't think there are many other directors who would know what to do with the matterial. Can you just let go of your never-ending vendetta against the guy for a second and admit that it could be an interesting idea?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha:
Quote:
So anyone who doesn't make a movie about AIDS is a failure as a director (forgive me if he made a comment relating to the subject)?

I'm not saying he needs to make a movie about it. I'm just saying that he needs to respect both tragedies.

Quote:
Can you just let go of your never-ending vendetta against the guy for a second and admit that it could be an interesting idea?

I actually don't dislike him. (That much...) I just am getting tired of him saying he's going to do something, and then finding out he's just shooting another documentary.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

He didn't say it was more important. He said it was more compelling, more enthralling. An event or topic can be direly important but that doesn't necessarily mean its captivating or grabs people's attention. Here we are almost a century after the fact and Titanic is still a major topic of books, movies, and television. Even before the movie came out a decade ago if you asked anyone what the worst maritime disaster was more often than not you'd be garraunteed to get Titanic as the response even though there have been worse disasters with higher death tolls. Here you have the "unsinkable ship"-perhaps man's greatest engineering achievement-going down the first time it sailed. That aspect of the disaster alone said a great deal to people in 1912 as well as people today. The appeal of Titanic is best viewed in the sense that it acts as a kind of parable or universal lesson about man's nobility and his fallibility made all the more relevant by the fact that it actually happened.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not saying he needs to make a movie about it. I'm just saying that he needs to respect both tragedies.

Again, what makes you think he doesn't respect it? While I agree that millionare celebrities should make an effort to give back to the world, just because he doesn't act like Bono doesn't nessisarily mean that he doesn't respect the tragedy.
Quote:
I actually don't dislike him. (That much...) I just am getting tired of him saying he's going to do something, and then finding out he's just shooting another documentary.

That's true I guess. Then again, the guy has enough money to do whatever he wants, even after Linda Hamilton bagged half.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...either I successfully made my point (which is unlikely) or my Titanic geekery got crossed with my anime geekery with catastrophic results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1