• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Drops Lodoss Wars Release Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's not surprising that a company that's on very thin ice wouldn't want to release a twenty-two year old OVA

I can't believe it's been that long since it came out. I remember watching it a few times as a kid back in the day. Deedlit is still one of my favorite female characters of all time.

Sucks that MB decided to drop plans for it right now. I have no clue what happened to my CPM release (I still have TV show though... ><).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
The question is, WHO will be willing to pick up LODOSS WAR now?

If Media Blasters won't do the job, likely bets would be either Rightstuf or Discotek since both are known to release older titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another title for Discotek to pick up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:
The question is, WHO will be willing to pick up LODOSS WAR now?

If Media Blasters won't do the job, likely bets would be either Rightstuf or Discotek since both are known to release older titles.

Actually, I think RightStuf might be a really good choice. They have had good relationships with the New York Anime companies and VAs (they got them to do voices in their dubs). If New York doesn't have another Anime distributor providing work for these work-starved VAs in the Big Apple, then why not Right Stuf?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
So are they releasing anything anyone wants at all this year?

I'm still hoping MB's plans for releasing KITE (1998,UNCUT,RM) in BD form is still on track (April 24th).

Like a couple of others recently posted, Lodoss Wars seems right up Discotek's alley. If MB couldn't get the HD masters from the licence holder in Japan, though, Discotek or anyone else might have the same problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought a used copy of Record of Lodoss Wars for a decent price, so I'm good. Thanks for asking.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame Media Blasters for wanting to license what truly sells, but wow, just wow.

The times are changing and I am not sure if all that change is for the better.

But there went any chance of Bakuman being continued though with MB. If they are willing to drop Lodoss Wars, a series that could appeal to just about any demographic, then there is no chance for Bakuman, at all.

Essentially, you better bundle up, as this would be a very cold day in summer before Bakuman is going to be continued, let alone completed.
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, poop! There goes my last thread of interest in anything Media Blasters/Anime Works had been working on. Can't say I'm surprised, I assumed this was eventually going to happen. It Just sucks to see it official. Here's to hoping someone else grabs it.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
So are they releasing anything anyone wants at all this year?

I'm still hoping MB's plans for releasing KITE (1998,UNCUT,RM) in BD form is still on track (April 24th).

Like a couple of others recently posted, Lodoss Wars seems right up Discotek's alley. If MB couldn't get the HD masters from the licence holder in Japan, though, Discotek or anyone else might have the same problem.

Meaning that it could very well be a long time before LODOSS WAR ever reaches USA in BD format.
teknokrat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I received notification from TRSI yesterday that my Ikkitousen Great Guardians preorder was canceled, and MB was officially canceling the release. And just a few days after they put it on "hold".

I see the Bakuman BD is still on the site, and my Kite BD order hasn't been canceled so its not doomsday yet, but I would not be surprised with anything now. They better follow through with Queen's Blade at least (don't judge too harshly, I have very diverse tastes and watch a bit of everything).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
And I'm one of the few who'd choose Queen's Blade over Lodoss War. How should I put it; You can't fool me by saying Lodoss War was a good series as I've seen it. Or at least the OVA but as I understand it, the series rewrites the latter half of the OVA before continuing on with its own thing only with a much lower animation budget. So no explanation/continuation of the only decent plot thread of the OVA, 'k...

It was the classic fantasy anime but that's "was". But it is good news that Media Blasters has plans not only to continue with Queen's Blade but also to dub whatever shows they release. So that's a few OVAs next year and one possible series in about two years...

Pity about Bakuman though; They were so excited about getting it too. Was it the kind of series people could get excited about like they thought? I know Queen's Blade is a series that's easy not only to dismiss but also ridicule; However, there's more to it than just T and A. {Like lots of T and lots of A...} and I was happy when it came. I mean, when I got the two BD sets.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman was delayed because the first DVD didn't do as well as they had hoped, so apparently they're trying to work things out with the licensors.

As for Queen's Blade, the possibility of that continuing is likely, as that is a seller for them. That and they at least have a slate of June/July releases (or re-releases), so... they're probably trying to get some revenue.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
It's good to hear they'll dub all of QB at least. It's a terrible show, but I watched the first season in passing on Netflix, and I really enjoyed hearing Excel screeching again...hopefully she doesn't damage her vocal chords and get replaced again.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it. I'm expecting in a few weeks to hear that they aren't going to dub it after all.

Looks like Media Blasters will be dead soon. Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like buying up Queen's Blade is a good way to help Media Blasters right now.

Sucks about Lodoss, but there's really no point in reissuing an extremely outdated master on new dics. Lodoss requires a new transfer for it to be watchable, and even then I'm not certain it would look all that spectacular beyond the first episode.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Yoohoo…oh, Discotek… Surprised

And all of this is to the surprise of no one. MB's downsizing aside, something was up when nothing was mentioned of it in the past two years and they were focusing on other titles. Perhaps something was up from the start when such a small company said that they would be remastering the series themselves. I hope Discotek or someone gets ahold of the both series. A remaster would be good, too, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I still haven't forgotten about MB's lacking promotion of GaoGaiGar after their initial excited announcement. That they dropped the ball again and have been messing up and suddenly dropping other shows is becoming less of a surprise and more of an expectation. On top of that, maybe they should not be picking up so many shows and plan their releases better if they can't handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7