• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't inflict Sengoku Collection on anyone, folks should check out episode 5, just because it's not the kind of show you'd expect do a specific parody of spoiler[Bowling for Columbine].
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).
I checked out the last episode since you mentioned this (Space Brothers was on my to-watch list anyways, so I skimmed through the episode). Going by the preview of ep. 6 where they actually showed the inside of Johnson Space Center, it does look fairly accurate but it's been a few years since I've been there. The metro bus that you see at the beginning of ep. 5 is spot-on for the triple-digit routes (one of which does take you from George Bush Intercontinental to the downtown area), and I recognized a few of the downtown buildings. Looks like they did a fine job there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for The Stream to make a comeback. With this many shows, including at least two that have yet to stream here, I'm a little surprised that there aren't two people tackling this. I'm watching less, and I feel a little overwhelmed.

Watching:
Lupin III
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Kids on the Slope
Tsuritama
Jormungand

Dropped:
Space Brothers
Medaka Box

Admiteddly, I only watched the first episode of Space Brothers but I was bored to tears. I can appreciate what other people see in it, but all I see are its shortcomings -- which, to me, there are many. Medaka Box I dropped after four episodes. I hear that there is a change coming, but it would have to be drastic to get me back.

Will watch:
Eureka Seven: AO
Sankarea
somestupidloser

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Before the season started, I felt that there really wasn't much that I would find particularly to my tastes. As the season rolls on however, I have to say that this is probably the deepest anime season that we have seen in a year. Tsuritama seems to be a case where a show has a pretty simple concept behind it, and the creators did everything in their powers to make it as polished as possible. It becomes further proof that the two most important keys to success are a deep roster of characters and great execution. It also helps that the music and visual direction are absolutely superb.

In another note, I find it fitting that Bamboo completely didn't include Acchi Kocchi, because it really is unremarkable. I never enjoyed the cookie-cutter slice-of-life type of show, but I'm really a sucker for Tsumiki/Io. The weird thing I see with it is that the show is really externally pushing the idea that Io is "clueless" to Tsumiki's feelings, but Io's character and demeanor seems to suggest otherwise.

Also, while people really point to Tsuritama and Mysterious girlfriend X as being the weird shows here, Sankarea is seriously a trip. It's decent enough to where I haven't had any trouble watching all of it, but I can't seem to decipher the overall mood of the show. Is it supposed to be serious/dark? Or is it supposed to be a lighthearted comedy? It's leaning a lot towards the former, but the show is also sending some really mixed signals. Combine that with the actual subject matter of the show, and it's really shaping out to be a weird story.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
aye more drama in the fourms but what else is new lawl for me personally I am only watching 6 shows this season

Is this a Zombie?! of the dead

Dusk Maiden

Upotte!

Sankera

Kids on The Slope

MGX

That's it really I have others shows to watch but nothing that I want to keep on watching until I can marathon them. Lupin III and Medka Box. I am to burnt out right now.. aye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
These are the shows I'm watching, ranked:

1. Fate/Zero 2
2. Haiyore! Nyarko-San
3. Kore wa Zombie? Of the Dead
4. Sankarea
5. Accel World
6. Natsuiro Kiseki
7. Acchi Kocchi
8. Hyouka
9. Space Brothers
10. Medaka Box
11. Sengoku Collection
12. AKB0048
13. Queens Blade Rebellion
14. Polar Bear Cafe
15. Phi Brain 2
16. Rock Lee and Ninja Pals

Overall, its an okay season... Not really as good as Fall, but better than Winter. Pretty much everything in my top 10 is safe from dropping, and Sengoku, AKB and Queens Blade will probably be finished, but if they get worse I'll drop them. The final 3, especially Rock Lee, need to improve fast or I'll drop them. I'll probably give them each one more episode.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I just can't into Fate/ Zero like I could get into Night.

I don't know why. I watched the first season and I just don't think I'm all that interested in the second. I like constant backstabbing and sinister as much as the next person (hell, I'd say I like them more.) but it can't carry a show for me, sorry to say. Half the characters I don't really like, aside from Lancer, Archer and MAYBE Saber. Not really a big fan of the Masters this time around.

On the other hand, still loving Pirates (Can't believe they had THAT scene from the novels in Episode 17. No romance they said. spoiler[ Madoka and Lan end confirmed for Lagrange Season 2 ] Nyarko's amazing. Really wish it were more episodes then the 12. Still watching Aquarion live with a bunch of friends (with me summarizing).

I'm really loving ACCEL WORLD. Especially since Episode 4. Was not expecting that at all. I'll be checking QB: Rebellion though. If only because the original was my guilty pleasure for a while.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, after reading the whole thread, all I can say is that people are all over the shop this season. Normally there's a standout or two, but very few people seem able to agree this time.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Well, after reading the whole thread, all I can say is that people are all over the shop this season. Normally there's a standout or two, but very few people seem able to agree this time.

as stated before I am personally burnout on most stuff now. I did watch nearly every show this season or gave epiosde one a try. The ones that didn't make cut are either due to part that I want to marathon them like eureka 7 AO, Hyouka, or I just didn't care as for such series like Sengoku Collection (Parallel World Samurai) or
Medaka Box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

The great thing about this season is how family friendly it is. I was able to convince my Dad to watch more than 1 episode of both Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers with me. I can't really remember him enjoying any anime before, and it's so great to share the medium I enjoy most with him. I don't think it'll last the whole season, but I think he liked Space Brothers most, so maybe I can convince him to watch a few more episodes of it...

Thanks! And I agree with this a lot. I think this season has a lot of great titles that can easily enjoyed by people who have never watched anime before, because they are very real stories. Both Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope are very relate-able, especially for those who skew a little older. I think Kids on the Slope is very nostalgic, while Space Brothers kind of reflects down moments in life that we've all had. Mutta is one of my favorite characters from this season.

Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).

Nodame Cantabile and bunny drop where the only show my mom really liked and now all three of us LOVE kids on the slope. also my dad really likes space brothers.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lessee, now that OZMA and PMMM are over, on my Crunchyroll Queue I got the following ~ the Queue is in broadcast order starting near the weekend, not order of preference.

Fate/Zero
The Knight in the Area(*)
Bodacious Space Pirates
Folk Tales from Japan(*)
Space Brothers
Polar Bear Cafe
SKET Dance (*)
Kids on the Slope
Tsuritama

(*) ~ wouldn't follow it if it weren't available on Roku / Crunchyroll Android app.

Also following Jormungand ~ the bar is substantially higher for series that aren't on Crunchyroll, since I can follow Crunchyroll series on my Roku and on my Nook Color. Crackle is the only other site that gives that combination, and the stuff it has that Crunchyroll doesn't are catalog titles.

Its about twice what I was following in Fall or Winter, so obviously for me its a good season.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Its about twice what I was following in Fall or Winter, so obviously for me its a good season.

I think that is the case for everyone
how was ozma? also I would highly recommend checking out the first two episodes of accel world
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
At least you were able to get two shows out of the way, Bamboo. =D I'm curious to see how many get crossed off as the week goes by.

somestupidloser wrote:

In another note, I find it fitting that Bamboo completely didn't include Acchi Kocchi, because it really is unremarkable.

Because no one is streaming it in the west. It's a really fun show though. It's a super cute, fluffy, funny in parts, non-offensive, easy watch. It's a nice show to unwind to.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
At least you were able to get two shows out of the way, Bamboo. =D I'm curious to see how many get crossed off as the week goes by.

somestupidloser wrote:

In another note, I find it fitting that Bamboo completely didn't include Acchi Kocchi, because it really is unremarkable.

Because no one is streaming it in the west. It's a really fun show though. It's a super cute, fluffy, funny in parts, non-offensive, easy watch. It's a nice show to unwind to.

So it's like Kimi to Boku?
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
superdry wrote:

somestupidloser wrote:

So it's like Kimi to Boku?

I never watched Kimi to Boku, so I wouldn't know. Someone who has can probably chime in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11