• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Types of otaku that annoy you?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well I could honestly write the equivalent to a 10 page essay on how much I hate the anime fandom, but since I obviously can't do that here I'll keep it breif Laughing

Sub Elitists- Like many of you have said, these guys can be a really pain a lot of the time usually complaining oh "X character sounds so annyoing, his voice was much cooler in japanese" or "this guy really doesn't know how to act". I have nothing against people having preferences, but I seriously draw the line at people thinking english VA's can't act. I've watched enough anime in japanese to be able to discern acting quality and I can say that the majority of the time, dubs are usually on par with or at the very least not very far behind the japanese version acting wise, and while the cases where the english version is superior are rare, dubbing has gotten to a point where it's much rarer to find a dub that's completly awful.

Blind Fanboys- These guys can seriously get on my nerves. Their the the kind of fans who try to act like EVERYTHING in a certain work is deep or meaningful and that people are "haters" for not seeing the author/director's vision. I get that people want to defend their favorite shows but there's a line some people have where if you say even ONE negative thing about the series your on their hate list. As much as I like anime, nothing is flawless and I;m willing to admit a lot of my favorite series aren;t anywhere near perfect. Others should be capable of doing the same to some extent.

The Grudge Holders- Out of all the kinds of anime fans, I think I issues with these guys the most. These are the people where if X-licensor does something they don;t like, they never let it go. Take Viz for example. It;s been like what, about 2 years since the thing with Monster and some people STILL won;t shut up about it. I get being angry over a series not getting a proper release but holding onto it for that long is a bit ridiculous honestly and some seriously need to learn how to move on. My belief is this: if a company has a title you really want and, it's getting at least a decent release, BUY IT. At the end of the day the shows matter more than the companies do and I think it;s a shame to let a grudge stop you from owning a title you think is awesome(mind you Viz hasn't released much of substance since then, but again it's just an example).

The Elite Snob- Pretty much the opposite of the blind fanboy, these are the guys who lurk around forums just to insult a show and by extent the people who watch it. While as I said before, no show is flawless and those who think otherwise should be corrected to some extent, these guys will do nothing but rant about a show they don't like and make a show of it. If you don;t like a show, your free to state so but if you don;t like the show, there's no reason to lurk around that show's forum and insult people. Just say your piece and leave. Constantly going back to make fun of them just makes you look like a prick.

The Anti-Localization Guys-These guys are like the sub elitists but much, much worse at times. The ones who insist that pretty much everything in a translation whether it be subtitles, manga translations, or a dub, have as much japanese in them as possible and get angry if even one thing is translated in a way they don't like. Everything from lack of honorifics to attack names being translated is something for them to attack. I can get being angry over a bad translation, and I;ve certainly had issues with how certain series have been localized, but some of the complaints they have get to the point of nitpicking, and you get to the point where you wonder why these guys don;t just import things so they don't have to deal with certain localizations if they hate them so much(of course some do, but certainly not enough of them to justify the complaning).

And...that's all I can think of at the moment. More may come to me.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The types of otaku that annoy me are...

1) The "Long Running Shounen Anime Otaku"- the kinds of people who go on and on about how awesome anime like DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc... are and how epic they are, despite the folks that complain about all the fillers, talk about how certain fights are lame, and etc..., yet they're still willing to say it's the best anime they've ever seen.

2) The "UC Gundam Worshipper Otaku"-I don't like these kind of otaku because they say how awesome and epic every single UC Gundam series(those with Tomino's involvement) is the best ones ever made and look up to Tomino as some type of god, without any regard to whatever flaws each of his series he directed has. For example, say someone who's seen Char's Counterattack and found characters like Quess Paraya and Hathaway Noa completely annoying and useless to the story or how bad the first half of ZZ Gundam is, but still rate it highly because of their loyalty to UC and refuse to give it a lower score. I don't like it when they flame folks who don't have characters like Amuro Ray or Char Aznable up in their Top 5 Favorite Gundam characters list and for liking any one of the AU Gundam shows better. Yes I like UC Gundam, but I am not going to worship it as the best thing ever.

3) The "Clannad/After Story Otaku"-I don't like it when these otaku worship the ground Clannad/After Story walks on and say it's the best thing ever while talking down to the other Key shows like Air, Angel Beats!, and Kanon/Kanon 2006. I find it rather disheartening when Clannad otaku flame people who don't feel the same way they felt about it and prefer either Air, Angel Beats, or Kanon/Kanon 2006 as their all-time favorite Key series.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
As was predictable from the opening, one thing running through this thread is a pointless "I hate sub fans" current. Occasionally hedged with a distinction between "sub fans" and "sub elitists", to be sure, so that it can duck any actual confrontation. ("No, I wasn't talking about you!")
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
The Fanfic Writers-Those who write fan fiction about shows they've seen or anime characters they want to get together. Usually, this is with zero regard for continuity and is ripe with character assassination and contradictions, not to mention bad grammar and spelling errors.

Anime fans who make absurd blanket assumptions: There are very few categories in life that 100% suck. Sturgeons's Law , people, Sturgeon's Law!

And before you get all holier-than-thou: I haven't written fanfics in over 2 years. I stopped and moved on to original fiction.

Whoa. Touchy. Reread the quote paying special attention to the bolded word and how it applies to the sentence. If I wanted to totally disregard the possibility I would have used a different word that didn't imply a measure of doubt such as absolutely or always. So you're barking up the wrong tree, and if that doesn't apply to you as you said than you have nothing to be miffed about.

Back on topic another one that bugs me is:

The Japanese Title Pureist Type-The people who still refer to licensed series by their romanized Japanese translations when they have perfectly fine and often easier to say, type, and remember English titles. Such as people calling Fullmetal Alchemist, Hagane no Renkenjutsu or calling Rumbling Hearts, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and the like. Both might be technically correct, but the English one would probably be understandably recognized by more people and easier on new fans.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't there be an anime-fans-I-like-thread? I like the posts that are meant to be funny, but so much hate makes me a bit sad Sad. I do understand it might feel like a relief to share these less nice anime-fan-experiences.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
The Grudge Holders- Out of all the kinds of anime fans, I think I issues with these guys the most. These are the people where if X-licensor does something they don;t like, they never let it go. *snip*

This actually kind of ties into with what I was going to add. The Company Partisanship People. These are people who seem to think that they have to pick one company and shout war-cries for them and "stick-it" to the other companies. Nothing wrong with preferring a certain company, but come on. I remember back in the mid to late 2000s this pretty much was restricted to "I like this company's dubs and/or releases to the others," but there seemed to be minimal (if any) actual hate shown for the other companies. Now, whenever Sentai licenses something I see posts like "Yeah, suck it Funimation!" or "Dammit, Funimation should have got this one, not Sentai!" Recently, with the Toonami thing, i even saw one guy criticizing Funimation for getting Panty & Stocking fans to beg Cartoon Network to get that show on the Toonami block; claiming that they were "forcing the fans to do things," and "taking things away from Viz, not being fair to Viz." Like, really? Not only are you criticizing a company for using effective marketing and giving the fans a voice, but you fail to understand the basics of business. Just... stop it! Mad
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
You can try, but praising threads are always much shorter than complaining ones. How much times can I write about those transactions made verbally literally with no thought that someone can deceive me?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Can't there be an anime-fans-I-like-thread? I like the posts that are meant to be funny, but so much hate makes me a bit sad Sad. I do understand it might feel like a relief to share these less nice anime-fan-experiences.

I don't see why not. If you want to make it go ahead.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
True, who doesn't like to complain? But I'd like to read some positive topics as well.

To contribute a bit to this thread (since I'm here now): When anime fans (or any people) have a bitter never ending argument on the forums, which doesn't get anywhere, takes up a large portion of the thread and leaves both sides annoyed, even if one or both of them says they don't care.

(are you deceived on a daily basis? I hope not)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Obsessive Yaoi Fangirls-The people who can't talk about anything without without commenting on which guys they think would make the best couple...even when the show doesn't include any hint of that kind of stuff at all. They write a lot of fanfics too, but that's the next one...

I think I move more in the circles of obsessive yuri fanboys, who will complain vehemently when the male and female leads get together, despite it often being a forgone conclusion as soon as you see the OP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised how quickly this thread grew. I guess we all have that annoyance in the fanbase. I decided to add a few things I forgot:

People who support characters for the wrong reasons- Whenever I see obsessive fangirls of a certain villain, they ignore how evil their acts were, call them 'misunderstood,' and call the main character a jerk for killing them. On TV Tropes, we call that the 'Draco in Leather Pants.' For example, Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts. Fangirls ignore that they've killed people to make a heart-shaped moon and kidnapped Kairi, and yet Sora is the bad guy for killing them. And lets not forget Haruhi Suzumiya fantards. If the writer didn't want us support her, the fans make that hard to believe. Whoo-hoo, support a controlling, blackmailing, extorting, potential rapist. And while I want to strangle Haruhi if she were real, I heard that she eventually developes, but the people I'm talking about supported her ever since she stole the Computer Club's equipment.

Old School Elitists- The people who act like every anime made before the year 1999 is so superior. There are some concepts that haven't aged well, and yet they're too blind to see even the old shows had flaws. They say people hate old anime for being old? Well, I say you hate new anime for being new.

Obscure Anime Hipsters- Otaku who hate shows like Naruto and One Piece for no other reason than being 'overrated.' The people who think a true anime fan watches the crap nobody likes, but immediately dismiss it once its fanbase grows. The ones who think you're not a true anime fan because you like anything from Shonen Jump. The people that could use a good punch in the stomach.

Recolor Artists- You ever see OCs that are basically an already existing character with a new hair color? This mostly occurs in Sonic the Hedgehog. If you those are uncreative, I saw a ripoff of Toshiro Hitsugaya with red streaks in his hair. They weren't even trying to conceal that he was someone else's work.

People that judge a franchise based in its fanbase- "I hate this show because of the fans." How many times did you ever read that? Naruto, Evangelion, Sonic, and even Twilight had this kind of dismissal. I think you should hate a series based on its quality, not the people that watch it.
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
And lets not forget Haruhi Suzumiya fantards. If the writer didn't want us support her, the fans make that hard to believe. Whoo-hoo, support a controlling, blackmailing, extorting, potential rapist. And while I want to strangle Haruhi if she were real, I heard that she eventually developes, but the people I'm talking about supported her ever since she stole the Computer Club's equipment.

Everyone should be able to find there own reasons to like a character. There should be no "wrong" reasons. I, for one, enjoy Haruhi's antics very much. I take heart that she is not a real person. Haha. I support Haruhi and all of her stealing and extorting. She's a different type of character, good characters get so boring, sometimes you have to spice it up a bit.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

The Anti-Localization Guys-These guys are like the sub elitists but much, much worse at times. The ones who insist that pretty much everything in a translation whether it be subtitles, manga translations, or a dub, have as much japanese in them as possible and get angry if even one thing is translated in a way they don't like. Everything from lack of honorifics to attack names being translated is something for them to attack. I can get being angry over a bad translation, and I;ve certainly had issues with how certain series have been localized, but some of the complaints they have get to the point of nitpicking, and you get to the point where you wonder why these guys don;t just import things so they don't have to deal with certain localizations if they hate them so much(of course some do, but certainly not enough of them to justify the complaning).

Funny thing with this kind of nitpick fan is someone would need to have an understanding of such things as honorifics to be able to pick up on the discrepency between what was spoken versus what was in English text. If you are aware of things like this, then what are you actually complaining about? Certainly not that you didn't understand the dialog in the show. After years of watching sub shows, I ignore parts of the subtitle text when it is common Japanese phrases, honorifics, etc that I have learned over time from years of watching. I don't claim to know the Japanese langauge, but some things stick when you hear it enough.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
True, who doesn't like to complain? But I'd like to read some positive topics as well.

To contribute a bit to this thread (since I'm here now): When anime fans (or any people) have a bitter never ending argument on the forums, which doesn't get anywhere, takes up a large portion of the thread and leaves both sides annoyed, even if one or both of them says they don't care.

(are you deceived on a daily basis? I hope not)

No, but I'm still wondering how irresponsible I was to pay in advance to people advertising on forums never bothering about basic security eg. asking to sell via ebay Razz I must admit that it worked everywhere.

I also think that Net as a space is a place where we can't isolate from annoying behavior so we are more sensitive to that. In real life on personal level we can deal with those who fit us and pay attention to positive traits.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I don’t see a problem in taking otaku to mean ‘fan of anime and Japanese culture’ in English. No language has any intellectual property rights on its words and no other language is obliged to obey another. If that were so, a whole range of languages from English and Chinese to German would be entitled to file grievances against Japanese. (Of course, most of the world would be entitled to file them against English) Borrowing is a common strategy for filling a semantic hole in a language. Of course, if otaku begins to take a derogatory meaning, that’s not very objectionable either. I’ve never really embraced being an otaku and am not likely to ever do so, but I can accept it for the purposes of this thread.

The kind of otaku that I don’t care for are defined by certain behaviors and beliefs. These aren’t necessarily linked, but they do tend to occur together. I can’t say just how common they are, some aren’t too frequent and all vary in severity, but people who exemplify them, to my despair, assuredly do exist.

1. Grossness: When I was in high school, I never understood the stereotype of nerds being ill-groomed, rank and filthy. My friends and I were, despite having largely coalesced around Dungeons & Dragons, a pretty clean, reasonably well-kept lot. I’ve showered every morning and brushed my teeth twice daily for most of my life. I did not encounter embodiments of the stereotype until my college Japanese classes, wherein one of the students seemingly had no idea how to take a shower. The one day I had the cruel misfortune to sit behind him, I could barely pay attention to the instructor as I battled my revulsion at his stench. I have never been to a convention, but I have a feeling that I would encounter a few other examples of this problem there.

2. Superficial Elitism: Few things make my heart and estimation of a person sink like seeing them shamelessly dismiss something for reasons unrelated to its artistic quality, namely its era, whether real or stylistic, and whether it lacks an English dub. I can accept people who admit that they can’t really enjoy something outside of certain aesthetic range, but the ones who seem proud of having these limitations or who deride things outside of them frustrate me. It’s akin to reveling in ignorance and provincialism.

3. Anti-Intellectualism: One of the most frustrating habits I’ve noticed among some anime fans is the hostile rejection of thinking about and discriminating among anime. I have seen people angrily, indignantly rail against analyzing anime at anything more ambitious than kiddie-pool depth and insist that people who deem some anime in a season to be of poor, or even just mediocre, merit really hate anime. To me this is almost backward, or at least narrow-minded. At the very least, I would think that somebody who has seen enough anime and applied enough thought to have standards and opinions beyond good or bad should rank at least as high as the high-endurance watcher. Who loves food more? The picky gourmand or the gluttonous competitive eater?

4. Misguided Japanese Nationalism: Some anime fans have a strange, probably badly misguided fixation upon Japan and Japanese Otaku. They accept the tastes of the Japanese Otaku are as canonical and dissent therefrom as western heresy. They faithfully exalt Japan, often deriding the West on the next breath, and their beliefs are strongly, though often unconsciously, skewed toward favoring or even just excusing the Japanese. They will hail Japan for virtues without really wondering about whether they really are virtues or why it might have them. Policies, laws and institutions become matters not of right and wrong, good and bad or wise and foolish, but of Japanese and gaijin. I suspect that these types might feel disaffected from their native culture, thus they project a comfort idealization onto Japan to comfort and validate themselves. They problem being that besides being an incomplete, immature and dubiously accurate understanding of their cultural golden calf, it’s heavily drawn from an idiosyncratic, modern subculture, not the mainstream or traditional culture.

5. No True Otakuism: A distressing byproduct of most of the traits that annoy me is a tendency among some to dismiss and decry the unfaithful as not being true Otaku. (Who knew that they were really Scottish!) This has the obvious problem as there is no Pope of Otaku to determine the liturgy and dogma of being an Otaku, so this is mostly self-serving arrogance. It’s also meaningless because it’s purely personal. It is meant to delegitimize and cast out on personal grounds. Sneering down one’s nose at those who don’t obey a standard of otakudom set almost solely by one man’s ego answers no questions and makes no arguments about why that standard and what it represents are good or right. It makes liking anime not about quality or pleasure, but about fealty. Ironically, those most ardent about who is a, “true otaku,” or, “true fan,” seem more concerned with group identity than the ostensible focus of that identity.

6. Being Painfully White, Straight and Male: Anime fandom seems to attract heterosexual males of predominantly European descent and among them are reliably a few who are really into what they like without much regard for anybody else. Exploitation and infantilization of women, crass stereotypes of other kinds of people and homosexual relationships, except for the hot lesbian ones, are good for either laughter or scorn. They can be so prickly and protective of these portrayals they sometimes twist them into good or more honest thing, sometimes diverting attention to the supposedly failure of western animation to incorporate these features. They take any pleas for decency as, “PC bullshit,” or try to divert attention toward the predominantly imaginary problem how they are persecuted. There is, to be fair, a considerable range on this, from those who make the occasional misstep in this direction because they haven’t thought of it or don’t know better to the outright sexist bigot.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19