• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cliches in anime that need to die.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd ad another annoying cliche.

Child Abusers getting away with the offense- I know it's played for laughs, but every time I see an adult punch a child in an anime, I get uneasy. Kogoro Mouri from Detective Conan is a primary example. He screams at Conan like a drill sergeant, throws him across the room, and strikes him because he doesn't want his ego bruised. He does it in front of the freaken cops, for Christ's sake. You'd think Megure would question his parenting skills. In fact, a lot of the adults in that series are child abusers. Teachers, Kogoro, and Heiji's father beat children until their names are "Toby." I think this child abuse PSA sums it all up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-zxWY3vsY
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You'd think Megure would question his parenting skills.

Why? Clearly the disciplinary actions Mouri takes are proper within the confines of Detective Conan. Maybe if those lumps Conan received lasted longer than a few frames before he turns back to normal it would look more violent than slapstick.
supern3rdtendo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The angry flatchested girl. Gosh, that is so annoying. It stopped me from watching Soul Eater. .__.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
supern3rdtendo wrote:
The angry flatchested girl. Gosh, that is so annoying. It stopped me from watching Soul Eater. .__.

Wait. Are you talking about Maka? Uh... she's really not very angsty at all. If you stopped watching Soul Eater just because of that, then you're really missing out on a good series. Maka is actually pretty collected and stable.
supern3rdtendo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
supern3rdtendo wrote:

Wait. Are you talking about Maka? Uh... she's really not very angsty at all. If you stopped watching Soul Eater just because of that, then you're really missing out on a good series. Maka is actually pretty collected and stable.

I was getting annoyed with her in the first episode. She does have a quick temper though. I am reading the manga though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
supern3rdtendo wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
supern3rdtendo wrote:

I was getting annoyed with her in the first episode. She does have a quick temper though. I am reading the manga though.

Maka's an awesome character. Soul Eater's first two episodes are its weakest ones (aside from the three Excalibur ones). I encourage you to pick it up again. It's a very fun anime. And when Maka hits Soul, it's normally because he deserves it. Anime hyper
She reacts badly to when she sees him around other women because of
spoiler[her father who constantly cheats on his wife.]
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
These are turn offs for me these days.

Highschool: I guess since I'm in my 30s I don't really connect well with the theme. I find myself rolling my eyes or fast forwarding through scenes. That's one of the reason I gave Bleach up years ago. I can't get into the teenage angst thing and a entire episode of angst irritated me to no end

Overemphasized physiques. Years ago I did not mind certain characters being top heavy, now it looks a bit juvenile. Then again it just depends on what type of style show you are looking at.

Harems. The only harem themed anime shows I could tolerate years ago was the Old Tenchi stuff but I usually skip this stuff now. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. Could it be sexism? A horde of girls loving one guy and just that guy while he has so many choices?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The Third Doctor wrote:
Harems. The only harem themed anime shows I could tolerate years ago was the Old Tenchi stuff but I usually skip this stuff now. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. Could it be sexism? A horde of girls loving one guy and just that guy while he has so many choices?

I actually have no problems with harems in Anime per se. My most favourite show ever - RahXephon - is a Harem, with the main character being surrounded by three pretty teenage girls and five beautiful women. Two of the women hit on him at various points and another is completely in love with him. There's also Bakemonogatari and its sequel Nisemonogatari. The lead male is surrounded by six different girls, all of whom love him, and that doesn't include his two sisters who also have naughty thoughts towards him. Sounds bad, but it is surprisingly good.

My gripe lies not in that Harem exists but in how the harem elements are so often used poorly and lazily. They are usually used (along with fanservice) as crutches to prop up weak stories, which is why Harem has become so closely linked to bad Anime. Some shows like the ones I mentioned above actually have good writing anyway and Harem is just an element to the story. But they are the exceptions; most Harem series are just awful.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
"Flying towards the camera" fanservice.

Look, if a chick is hot, she's gonna be hot. I really don't need her tits being shoved in my face. I really don't. Just let her act normally and let the sexiness feel natural.

I'm watching Asobi ni Iku Yo! and I've definitely noticed that Eris is far, fat hotter when she is acting normally and not having her tits shoved in the camera.
exnecross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RahXephon - is a Harem

What RahXephon did you watch? The one I watched was about a giant robot that fights NGE-esque baddies.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
exnecross wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
RahXephon - is a Harem

What RahXephon did you watch? The one I watched was about a giant robot that fights NGE-esque baddies.

And then there was the RahXephon that was Slice-of-Life mixed with Drama, then there was the RahXephon that was Science-Fiction, and finally there was the RahXephon that was all about the Romance.

This may be news to you, but shows can be multiple genres. Sounds strange but believe me, it's all true.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Third Doctor wrote:

I actually have no problems with harems in Anime per se. My most favourite show ever - RahXephon - is a Harem, with the main character being surrounded by three pretty teenage girls and five beautiful women. Two of the women hit on him at various points and another is completely in love with him. There's also Bakemonogatari and its sequel Nisemonogatari. The lead male is surrounded by six different girls, all of whom love him, and that doesn't include his two sisters who also have naughty thoughts towards him. Sounds bad, but it is surprisingly good.

My gripe lies not in that Harem exists but in how the harem elements are so often used poorly and lazily. They are usually used (along with fanservice) as crutches to prop up weak stories, which is why Harem has become so closely linked to bad Anime. Some shows like the ones I mentioned above actually have good writing anyway and Harem is just an element to the story. But they are the exceptions; most Harem series are just awful.

I can throw in some knowledge on the harem b.s. even I'm sick of it myself. Most of the newer harem anime are based off of adult visual novels which just makes me cringe because of how lazy or shallow the adapts end up being.

I think the harem genre works best as a sub-genre in some shows like Index with touma's case of misaka, msiaka imouto, index, ange etc but still be fun and engaging to watch on the magic/science fiction elements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, what makes a good harem series is:

1. You like all the love interests and could honestly see each one with the protagonist.

or

2. You have one favorite ship that you'll never betray but you still love all the characters and just want everyone to stay together, like a family.

If a series can accomplish one of these, I really give it props. But 2. can be a little frustrating if the protagonist never ends up even HINTING their choice. The Tenchi Muyo OVA series drove me up the wall with this.

Still a great series though. Probably because it has a lot more to offer than just "girls and fanservice". lol

Quote:
I think the harem genre works best as a sub-genre

I'm quite inclined to agree. If it's the focus of the entire show, it tends to be....well......bad. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8