• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 50% of Evangelion Movie Funds Raised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You seem to have a low opinion of the intelligence of Japanese directors there mate.

Nope, you're just building up on my thoughts. What I meant is that the INDUSTRY is lightyears behind. I've seen Kurosawa. I've seen Kitano. They're brilliant. Now let's take two movies: say... Kikujiro and Doom. Check imdb to see how much money each of them made. Now compare the value of both as works of art.
Get what I mean?
Quote:
You should get yourself a safer chair to sit on.

An evil dragon broke my favorite comfy chair yesterday Anime cry
Quote:
You stated condesendingly that Japanese directors are somehow inferior in a blanket sort of way that meant all Japanese directors were "lightyears behind" the rest of the world.

And they are - most Japanese movies are not for you average popcorn moviegoer. Those that are suck pretty badly in comparison with their western counterparts and those that are not don't market.
Quote:
Have you ever seen "ring" or "The Grudge"?

I've seen all "Ringu" movies and three "Ju-Ons" (if I'm not mistaken, these were the second, third and fourth - the fourth seen on a big screen). Ringu is so-so as a horror movie - if I saw it now I'd get bored in a matter of minutes, but back then it was something new to me. Now I'm used to Japanese horror movies about evil dead kids. Ju-On 2 and 3 (or was that 1 and 2 - damn, after a year I'm still confused *_* ) were pretty good, but seriously, they were shot without professional camera equipment. They look just right to convey a scary feeling on a TV screen, but on the big screen they'd just look stupid. Like Ju-On 4 did. Ringu: Basudei was great in terms of character development, but all of its other features would've been deservingly bashed if western critics got a good hold of it. Ringu 2... this one I really should re-watch as I don't recall more than a few scenes from it.
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I really dont feel like quoating a bunch of people, so I'll touch on some statements.

When it was brought up about devolping the charcters in only a three hour movie, who said there will only be one movie? I did some math, and I figured that you could tell most of Eva's story in four, three hour movies. Fist movie deals with the first 9 episodes, second movie with the next 9, third movie with the next 6, and the last movie is a live action version of "The End of Evangelion" (I am skipping the final two episodes, because as much as I love them, I really dont see a studio greenlighting an hour of streight talking that takes muptiple viewing to even come close to understanding.) So, make the first movie and leave a cliffhanger. If it flops, dont make the other movies. If it succeds, continue as followed.

And, Japan make some wonderfull live action movies. A recent one is called "Nobody Knows." it is about a 13 year old boy carring for his brothers and sisters after his mother abandons them. One of the sadest movies I have ever watched.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
A lot of what I was thinking seems to already be on the first page. I have my doubts about how this is going to work. Typically, I've heard of the "summarizing" and "spin-off" types. I don't think a summarizing will work here, but a spin off might not work either. If the original creators of the anime can doing most of the planning and writing, I'll have fewer doubts. But as of now, it's only a thought, not something that is actually in production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5