• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osamu Kobayashi: Hayao Miyazaki's New Work Is About Zero Fighter Designer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t1213121

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Some movies are only more serious because they depict blood and actual people dying. I don't care for that. I just loveeee how "whimsical" Miyazaki's works are.

By the way, a movie about a fighter aircraft designer doesn't mean it's going to glamourise WW2. It could still have some anti-war elements to it, I'll just wait and see.

I hope we get more news on Takahata's new film too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
No one said it has to have blood and violence, it's more about the tone of a work than anything. Mononoke is Miyazaki's most serious film yet, and I'd want to see something with that approach to a film like this over everyone being jolly and happy go lucky in aeroplanes with big stupid toothy grins and prehensile hair. I don't dislike that side of Miyazaki's work, but a biopic ain't the place for it.
t1213121

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
I know nobody said anything about gore and violence but that is how many people judge the seriousness of a film. A "whimsical" film can have serious themes. And a less serious movie doesn't mean it's bad too.

But now I get what you're trying to say about a biopic having no place for that. But anyway, personally, I don't have any specific expectations when watching a Miyazaki's movie (except that it has to be great). His creativity is boundless, who knows what he'll come up with.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
This sounds neat. Another great film I will be in no position to afford to watch any time soon.
Psychedelic.Ink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Of course going to be anti-war film!
When they first release news about it they were saying it was going to be a biopic about a designer/engineer who wanted to create something beautiful, now we know is the Zero Fighter, but in creating something beautiful he created a war machine.
Found the link:
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#More_Details_on_Miyazaki.27s_Next_Film
Sound like one of those contradictions about life Miyazaki is so interested about.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
This sounds neat. Another great film I will be in no position to afford to watch any time soon.

Ughh I knowwwww! I like that there are so many feature films coming out these days, but the fact that fans in the US have to wait upwards of two years to see them kills me dead!! Still, for Hayao Miyazaki I will wait forever!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Psychedelic.Ink wrote:
Of course going to be anti-war film!
When they first release news about it they were saying it was going to be a biopic about a designer/engineer who wanted to create something beautiful, now we know is the Zero Fighter, but in creating something beautiful he created a war machine.
Found the link:
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#More_Details_on_Miyazaki.27s_Next_Film
Sound like one of those contradictions about life Miyazaki is so interested about.

Thanks a lot for the extra info! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
wow, the idea of Miyazaki tackling historical subject matter sounds absolutely amazing
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm fascinated by planes! I'm sure Miyazaki can do this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2