• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Well, there's $150 on hold in bank account, meaning Bakemonogatari will be shipping out soon. Hell. Yea. Now I just have to hope it gets here by Wednesday.

Awesome, I checked my bank account when I saw your post and I too have the hold. I doubt mine will get here by Wednesday since I didn't choose any expedited shipping options, but good to know it should be shipping out soon!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Got a $25 gift card for GameStop in today, which I immediately used on:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin, aka the Persona chapter that never came over here. Also, you fight Hitler at the end. I don't know too much more than that about it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I just received from amazon: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind box set. I like the size and weight of the 2 hardbacks. I also like the wrap around art work on the covers. I'm not so sure about the sepia type color used for the art on the pages. Its not a robust sepia color, instead it feels more like a faded color. I'll have to see if it grows on me, but I don't think it has the same dramatic quality that black and white can have. I don't know if the original Japanese version is the same. It seems that instead of translating sounds on the pages they made an index with page numbers and sounds translated. I actually find that annoying. I'll have to make time this weekend and sit down to read it.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
RightStuf has Bakemonogatari reserved for my order. Yay! Now to wait on news about Nisemonogatari...

Also tossed in a preorder for Qwaser of Stigmata part 2. I've realized with my past few orders that I have my credit card number memorized. I'm not sure how that makes me feel.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Crunchyroll Mystery Box for $16 ($21.98 after S&H), and here's what I got (I'd appreciate your opinions! I haven't even heard of most of these):

Unboxing images:
http://i.imgur.com/e7Uv6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/R2k2L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A521u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iSmDR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LfTto.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0Rt90.jpg

List of DVDs in alphabetical order:
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar Summer Special
Appleseed
Black Heaven Vol. 3
DokKoiDa!? Vol. 1
Elemental Gelade Vol. 3 (L.E. metal plate)
Fafner Vol. 2
Gad Guard Vol. 1
Gantz Vol. 9
Girls Bravo Vol. 3
Girls Bravo Vol. 5
Girls Bravo Vol. 6
Gregory Horror Show Vol. 1
Gun X Sword Vol. 1
Gun X Sword Vol. 5
Gun X Sword Vol. 6
Heat Guy J Vol. 1: Super Android
Heat Guy J Vol. 4: Hidden Fangs
Kurau Vol. 2
Mao Chan Vol. 1
Serial Experiments Lain Vol. 1
Someday's Dreamers Vol. 1
Star Ocean EX Vol. 2: The Dragon's Teeth
Starship Operations Vol. 2
Submarine 707R
Tenchi in Tokyo Vol. 3
Tetsujin 28 Vol. 2: Tetsujin Vs. The Mafia
The Law of Ueki Vol. 1
The Law of Ueki Vol. 2
Vandread Vol. 3
X [Five]

Last edited by Jackstick on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The lack of most of them being volume 1's makes it not really worth it in my opinion. Tastes vary, but you can't really get a feel for a show if you're just sampling a random episode, at least I can't. If it was a selection of first volumes, that would had made it a really good deal since you could see what you liked and didn't and you wouldn't just be dropped in the middle of a show you know nothing about. That's my $2 (inflation) on the subject though.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The lack of most of them being volume 1's makes it not really worth it in my opinion. Tastes vary, but you can't really get a feel for a show if you're just sampling a random episode, at least I can't. If it was a selection of first volumes, that would had made it a really good deal since you could see what you liked and didn't and you wouldn't just be dropped in the middle of a show you know nothing about. That's my $2 (inflation) on the subject though.

Yeah, I didn't expect to get this many mid-season DVDs. I'll probably end up selling most of them for at least a dollar, but I think I'll keep the movies and at least sample the Vol 1's that I have.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
@Jackstick
If you like slow, heartfelt series, then you should try getting Kurau volume 1. It's a really well-done series, at least in the character department, and the bond between the two main characters is just so genuine yet inexplicable. They obviously love each other, but not in a way that's easily pinpointed as romantic, sisterly, mother-and-daughter-like, etc.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, all that for 20 bucks? Even if it is random volumes, that's still a good deal. Kurau* is a really good show, but you'll probably want to start from the beginning. Serial Experiments Lain is also very good, but for that one you need to start from the beginning. Gantz... is really bloody. I can't get past that but if you can it has an interesting mystery.
Overall, nice haul Jackstick!

*My current avatar is the titular Kurau. That show has some great action and world building with two great leads. If you're interested, errinundra just did one of his famous reviews on the show (there aren't any major spoilers, but some small ones that shouldn't bother anyone).

Bought from RightStuf:
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo DVD Complete Series
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit DVD Holiday Bundle
My Beautiful Girl Mari/A Tree of Palme DVD Double Pack
Romeo X Juliet DVD Complete Series

How much I love Black Friday sales! It was difficult to restrain myself from getting even more, and RightStuf hasn't even revealed their best deals yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Received today from RACS

Figure - To Aru Kagaku no Railgun Ruiko Staten 1/8 scale
Figure - Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: Haruhi Academy Uniform Version Figma
Figure - Little Busters: Natsume Rin 1/6 scale
Figure - Bakemonogatari: Senjogahara Hitagi Emotion Style 1/8 scale

I should note that these were all part of the ongoing figure sale. I placed the order Wednesday afternoon.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh no I hope Bakemonogatari doesn't ship soon for me. I don't want to be overwhelmed with anime to watch. I've totally fallen behind with viewing schedule. Thanks ASU.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I got the Bakemonogatari shipping notice by E-mail today.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Decided to go ahead an partake in a bit of the TRSI sale by getting:

Allison & Lillia (both parts)
GTO: 14 Days in Shonan v. 1-4
Moribito
Toradora! holiday bundle

Not sure how I'm going to feel about the Moribito super jewel cases, but oh well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The Moribito super jewel cases are sorta cool. They are the same highth and width of a regular DVD case and about the same thickness of a slim line case. The only problem I ran into is, like an ordinary jewel case they are hard plastic and a bit brittle.

In the case of Moribito they take advantage of the clear plastic to increase the art work available.

I have since picked up the bluray and have given the set away.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Just received the first four Baccano! LNs from Yesasia! Very Happy I wasn't expecting to get them before Thanksgiving, so it was really exciting to see these in the mail^^ This is my first time importing anything, so I'm happy they got here okay. I haven't taken the little Durarara!! jackets off yet (I can't decide if I want to take them off or not.) They should be good Japanese practice^^

And while I was waiting for these to arrive, I picked up a couple manga:
Paradise Kiss volume 1 from Barnes & Noble
Fruits Basket volume 21 from TRSI
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 977 of 1400