• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should ANN re-examine its policy on off-topic discussions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
Attempts to corral discussions into One Certain Thread are doomed to failure. The AoA debate is going to crop up in every single thread where AoA is a factor. That means every single AoA announcement thread is going to turn into a discussion about their prices (as long as they maintain their high price policy). That's just the reality. Some people may deplore it, but there you go. Dub vs. sub. Moe vs not-moe. Lolis: pedo-bait or not? Fanservice vs. non-fanservice. These are the perennial discussions here at ANN and they won't be kept to Certain Threads. And my aggressive tone on this was precipitated by Dessa's pissy tone in the first place. Be reasonable and I'm more than happy to be reasonable back.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't find it worth discussing? Why then, did I start the other thread? As I stated in my post, it's not off-topic, it's a tangent. And when it turns into 5+ pages of arguing, it's past the point where it should be separated out of the thread.

A five-page soapbox discussion?

Ugh, you have my sympathies on this one. I can totally understand why you'd want to excise the tumour.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Attempts to corral discussions into One Certain Thread are doomed to failure. The AoA debate is going to crop up in every single thread where AoA is a factor. That means every single AoA announcement thread is going to turn into a discussion about their prices (as long as they maintain their high price policy). That's just the reality. Some people may deplore it, but there you go. Dub vs. sub. Moe vs not-moe. Lolis: pedo-bait or not? Fanservice vs. non-fanservice. These are the perennial discussions here at ANN and they won't be kept to Certain Threads.

Isn't that precisely why the mods ought to shut down the Aniplex price issue pretty quickly just like they do with all those other discussions you mentioned? Of course, you're right that even if the mods shut it down it'll keep coming up but so will every other problem the mods deal with. That's why they have mods though. To deal with this stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
I don't see any evidence that mods shut down those other perennial discussions, either.

@ dtm42 - please save us your scummy hypocrisy. You're capable of soapboxing for 20,000 pages on a topic as riveting as skirts that don't float in zero gravity so please spare us your tripe.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't see any evidence that mods shut down those other perennial discussions, either.

As far as I can remember the moderators have done something every time I have complained about a thread being derailed. At the very least they posted a reminder about staying on topic, which is usually enough. Sometimes the thread would die after that, but that just indicates that people were done discussing the original topic.
I think that if the moderators do not do anything it is quite possible that they did not know that anything needed to be done, because nobody bothered to report it.

There is a problem that I have with off-topic tangents that I don't think has been mentioned here.
The tangent might be about a subject that I would like to discuss but I cannot because I do not even know that the discussion exists because it is buried in a thread about a topic that is of no interest to me.
If the off-topic diversion is worthy of discussion it should have its own thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As far as I can remember the moderators have done something every time I have complained about a thread being derailed. At the very least they posted a reminder about staying on topic, which is usually enough.

But as I have already explained, discussing the price of a solicitation in a a solicitation thread is neither offtopic nor tangential. No detail of a release whether it be price, what kind of release it is (hybrid, sub-only, dub-only, DVD, BD, combo etc) is offtopic or tangential in a solicitation thread. Just because somebody decides they want ALL posts about one element of a solicitation (i.e. price) in THEIR PERSONAL THREAD doesn't mean other users have to abide by that. Are we going to have a separate thread to discuss AoA packaging? A separate thread to discuss the limited number of outlets AoA's products are made available through? A separate thread to talk about those instances when AoA decides to release something DVD-only? A separate thread to discuss when AoA decides to release something sub-only? Let's not be stupid, shall we?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Except the bitching is about their general pricing, with only occasional nods to the specific solicitations - it's hardly on topic in the thread, especially not when one exists specifically to discuss the topic itself. Yes, people will whine about the pricing on any AoA-related thread, but that doesn't mean it should be allowed to stand.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Except the bitching is about their general pricing, with only occasional nods to the specific solicitations - it's hardly on topic in the thread, especially not when one exists specifically to discuss the topic itself. Yes, people will whine about the pricing on any AoA-related thread, but that doesn't mean it should be allowed to stand.

Precisely.

If the discussion about AoA's pricing was always targeted at specific solicitations then there wouldn't be a problem. The trouble starts when it is just the same old soapboxing and whining about Aniplex and their prices in general. And just because thread after thread has already been afflicted by whining and tantrums does not mean that the Mods should stand idly by as yet another thread falls victim as well.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Touma wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As far as I can remember the moderators have done something every time I have complained about a thread being derailed. At the very least they posted a reminder about staying on topic, which is usually enough.

But as I have already explained, discussing the price of a solicitation in a a solicitation thread is neither offtopic nor tangential.

My comment that you quoted was a response to your statement about the moderators not shutting down "those other perrenial discussions." I was not saying anything about the solicitations thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well as far as that goes, I've seen those discussions go on for length in threads. I guess you and I must have seen different threads. Kind of points out that anecdotal evidence isn't all that useful, I guess.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Here's the deal, AoA's treatment of their licenses and product is very much an issue when it comes to those announcements. The thread is about two things, the company and it's licenses. If people see something they like being licensed to a company they don't they have the right to voice their opinion on it.

The bottom line is what people seem to want is for threads to become "fanboys only" and be exclusive only to those with good things to say about the topic. Discussions do not work that way however and we're not going to shut down people who criticize something and say "you can only criticize it in this other thread". Like it or not, in a thread where a company with controversial retail practices and what they are licensing is the key topic then those controversial retail practices are going to come up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
But should the discussion about how expensive AoA's prices are really take up 5+ pages? Aren't the participants of the discussion just going around in circles by then?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The bottom line is what people seem to want is for threads to become "fanboys only" and be exclusive only to those with good things to say about the topic.

That's absolutely untrue. I can't stand Aniplex. I hate them and their prices. I'm just sick to death of seeing the same tired, circular argument envelop every single thread related to Aniplex. I mean, at this point I pretty much avoid any Aniplex thread for this reason, which, in regards to the solicitations thread, is a real shame since it is a very useful resource for information.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I mostly agree with what Blood- is saying, it is better to have discussion when it comes up, but at the same time, look at what happens when people are given wide latitude to push the boundaries of off-topic discussion. Take our friend snomaster:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1260976
who created yet another "why not have <SHOW> set in America?" thread in the Anime forum. I admit I posted a rather poor-taste tongue-in-cheek reply and thus it got moderated (apparently someone didn't find my sailor moon-fairy tail cross over idea amusing), but hasn't he been told not to make more of these america-hell-yeah fanfiction idea threads? To me, it seems to me that the problem of off topic discussion is not limited to posts within threads, but to threads not being apropos to the board upon which they are posted.

To be honest, I don't really understand why we can't have a "General" discussion board or a "Free Speech" zone where people are welcome to post their unrelated discussions. Or even better, a "Debate" zone that would host discussions of perennial, hot-topics in the anime/manga fandom.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:
I don't really understand why we can't have a "General" discussion board or a "Free Speech" zone where people are welcome to post their unrelated discussions.

We do, it is the community forum, subscribers only. It is a perk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4