• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
I like it a lot. I actually prefer the cleaner and more professional look, what I'd expect from the internet's most trusted anime news source. As for bugs I'm also having the problem with copyright bar being squeezed into the right side of the screen in IE7. I'm also having a sort of annoying problem in the forum where the date/quote/report bar on each post is a random thickness, sometimes as much as 6x the size it should be.

While we're at it I've got a suggestion. How hard would it be to add a news report submission form linked to the news tab? I know emailing is easy enough, but sometimes I just don't want to hassle with logging into my Yahoo mail and going through the compose steps. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd much rather do a one step submission right from the site, I've seen various news sites incorporate these. Just a thought.

Oh, and if you could update the forum with a spellchecker... Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

The thing about 1024 resolution is that not everyone actually surfs with their browsers sized the full width.

I don't either, not on my iMac, not on my laptop running Ubuntu. Site looks good on linux though, using FF 1.5.something. But having to scroll horizontally using a touchpad is a tad annoying.

Can't the main column be implemented with some float: command? I have some knowledge of html and ccs, but not much.

Smile
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
I dislike the new layout, IMO looks more amateurish.

The old design was simple yet professional looking plus have the toolbar on the left hand side meant easy navigation.

Can we please have a TEMPLATES to choose from in MY ANN. I would like to use the old ANN skin.
lledra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
I really like the look. Very clean and very professional looking. But also miss the ANN girl.

Very Nice job though!!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote

Everything is spaced out which is good since I always felt the old one felt very cramped especially with the forums.
MJP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
Agreed with area88. I don't come to ANN because I want some corporate derivative that tantamounts to something only financial analysts would want/need to read. I come to ANN for its warmth and community. I think there should be an option to use the old format. I can't force it or anything, but I can say that this new format is just not good to me and it smacks of a wannabe aesthetic move.

ANN doesn't need to improve much. More reviews would be great, but they aren't necessary. This reskinning is just blasé.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
I want the old theme back as well
buttercupboxer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
Fantastic redo! I'll miss the old characters, but the new site looks clean and roomy! Now how about a favicon? I'd recommend an "A" with your "i's" dot in the center. or something.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
Here are a few of the different Layouts that we plan on introducing relatively soon:

800x600 Skin
PDA Skin
Right Column Menu (similar to Old Layout for all you die-hards)

The ability to make Simple Skins (changing colors, graphics, fonts, etc...) will be available very soon. The new format makes these types of skins very easy to work on (everything is in a few image files and the CSS file).

More complicated skins, like what could be done (but was rarely done)* on the old site, where users can change the site layout, might be made later, if there's sufficient demand for it.

*(The skin feature on the old site allowed you to completely change the layout, but it was a complicated task. Most people simply changed the graphics, colors, etc... )

You'll see an example of a skin on the site later today.

We'll also try to port as many of the skins that were made for the old ANN. Starting with the most popular first.

For those of you who miss Jadress, it'll certainly be easy to re-insert her with the skins.

While she's gone from out logo, we plan on introducing her to other parts of the site (like the way she shows up in the 404 for example). So don't worry, you'll get your Jadress fix. ANN just wouldn't be ANN without Jadress.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
buttercupboxer wrote:
Fantastic redo! I'll miss the old characters, but the new site looks clean and roomy! Now how about a favicon? I'd recommend an "A" with your "i's" dot in the center. or something.

We're working on a mini-logo, as soon as we finalize that, we'll use it for the favicon.

Maybe we'll have a contest to pick the mini-logo.

-t
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I miss the old site, although the place did kind of need a revamp. I logged on and spent the first minute or so with my mouth hanging open in horrified shock.

The layout is too big, a lot of people don't surf with giant 1024 displays and I HATE being unable to see an entire page.

It's too...white? I'm literally squinting right now against the glare.

The ads are too prominent? I look on just about any page, and what pops out and distracts me from everything else is the enormous header ad. Ok, kudos to the ad for doing its job, but it really depresses me when Web sites give more space to ads than to their own name.

Does this mean the usual X-mas logo design contest is off? Sad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Does this mean the usual X-mas logo design contest is off? Sad

Absolutely not.

We'll announce details for it later this week.

-t
rpb3000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
/r/ ports of all the old skins now please kthxbai.

No, really, I like need those chibi cat girls (Fancia Feast) whenever I open my browser. They were the primary reason I have ANN as my homepage... The new site is more functional... put please please please port over compatible versions of the old skins. In fact, I would've done that before taking it out of beta, so that everyone would have their set skin in the pretty new format to look at when they first saw the new site. It'd be, like, magical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Wow!! Quite a surprise. Overall I think the new layout is very clean and professional. It'll take some getting used to. My only problem thus far is that the seach text field and button get cut off at the top, though they still work fine. I'm using Safari. I LOVE the news separated by day- very handy.

Hmmm.. just kidding about not having other problems. The tab buttons at the top seem to be getting stuck every now and then and many links don't seem to work yet. For instance, I clicked "Views" went to Columns and clicked "Buried Treasure" and it took me back to the main page. This happened when I clicked other links from the sub sections as well. I'm sure it will take a bit to work out the kinks.

Also, it won't let me vote on the poll.. and I couldn't have taken it already, because that poll must have just gone up with this new layout!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
The new layout surprised me this morning. I really like the new layout. Just doesn't seem as bland as the old one became.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9