• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hung Over

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Can anyone remember why people got worked up over Those Who Hunt Elves, or Sorcerous Stabber Orphen?
Yes: the dubs of those shows. Sadly the dub of Orphen got toned down due to fan complaints, leading to a humorous on-disc outtake involving Stephen Foster but also reducing the dub-induced humor. I pine for the days when Foster went "all in" on his dubs. It's hard going through his disinterested dubs that are all too common today (it's like he put the effort in on Horizon and then went back to just going through the motions on the subsequent dubs).

I think that this Answerman column approached the "happy medium" between the dry columns that we first got after the switch and the "so snarky that they could have been ghost-written by ANN's executive editor" columns that we've been getting of late.
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know why you felt the need to use a racist word on this forum. There is no place for that here.
This very answerman column used the word "Gaijin"... Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I just woke up and read this week Answerman. I never thought my question would be answer until I saw it and I'm so happy my question is answered!!!!

Justin, thank you for answering my question (and also for answering Poonk, another ANN users) on why J-dramas are hard to license then K-dramas and anime. Now it makes sense why Japan didn't ride on the drama fad when K-dramas got popular outside of Asia. When K-dramas got outside of Asia, other Asian countries like Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Singapore started to subtitled their dramas for international and non-Asian audiences. I mentioned a Taiwanese dramas was dubbed in Spanish and broadcasted in Latin America due to K-dramas being so super popular over there. I never understood why Japan didn't ride on it, but after reading this Answerman article, now it make sense.

Sometime I wish Japan could learn from their Korean and Taiwanese (and other Asian neighborhood) when it comes to exporting drama and music outside of Asia. I love anime, but I also love drama, dramas (even from Asia) can teach you a lot about a country's culture and history. If it wasn't for Chinese historical dramas, I wouldn't have studied Ancient China in college, I'm sure historical J-dramas that take place in Ancient Japan would get anime fans wanting to learn more about ancient Japan. Historical K-dramas did this and now I read that people outside of Asia want to study more about ancient Korea (Joseon, Goryeo), and yep historical dramas did that. Another article I read have said that Korean pop culture including K-dramas have helped caused a surge increase in Korean studies including Korean history. I think Japanese history class would've increased outside of Asia if Japan had exported more dramas including historical one outside of Asia, in my opinion. Dramas are better then anime and films when you want to learn more about culture and history of a country, there something in J/K/C-dramas that can appeal to non-Asian people and help understand that country culture and history. I'm sure J-dramas even historical one can help anime fans understand ancient Japan better then anime.

I like to add my thought:

Justin "Answerman" Servakis wrote:
Japanese talent agencies are also so spoiled for the level of control they have in Japan that they pretty much don't know how to play well in other markets. Agencies are used to writing marketing disguised as content DIRECTLY for publications, dictating how, when and which photos of their stars can be printed where. The agencies use the threat of withholding access to their stars to enforce these demands, and they get surprisingly little blowback. Some agencies also have yakuza ties, just in case someone was considering screwing with them.

Wow, and I thought SM Entertainment had negative reputation (refer to JYJ, and how they stopped JYJ from appearing on Korean TV after the three left TVXQ and the contract dispute). But turns out Japanese entertainment agencies are much worse then SM. Add that Japanese entertainment agencies don't have any knowledge of global marketing and globalization unlike their Korean and Taiwanese counterpart.

Quote:
In the case of TV dramas, the agency known as Johnny & Associates (Johnny's Jimusho) is thought by many to be one of the most difficult. Johnny's controls Japan's most popular boy bands and their members, from SMAP and Tokio to V6 and Hey! Say Jump!, and get those guys placed in pretty much all of the popular dramas. Johnny's requires approval on every step of the process, and have a reputation for being so difficult that many companies in Japan refuse to even attempt to work with them. To give some indication of how ridiculous they can get, Cyzo Magazine reported earlier this year that with SMAP's Takuya Kimura reprising his lead role for the Space Battleship Yamato live action sequel, the agency is demanding that all the space battles and CG be ditched in favor of human drama with lots of close-ups.

Yeah, it just what Poonk had stated and look like Poonk would be happy to know his/her theory is correct. I read an article from popmatters about Johnny's Entertainment. Yeah interesting read for some of you that are curious about that agencies. From reading the part about Johnny wanting live-action Yamato to be less sci-fi more drama tells me Johnny's Entertainment is more negative and messed up then SM Entertainment.

Quote:
Movies tend to be easier to license, as the contracts involved give the talent agencies less say over international deals. But for TV dramas? Forget it. Even if you could navigate those disgusting, fetid waters far enough to actually get to release something, the amount you'd have to pay to license it would surely bankrupt you, and the approvals process would probably prevent you from even getting a DVD out. Not worth the trouble, not worth the expense.

Well that backs up Lord Geo's theory on why Japanese live-action film can be licensed outside of Asia when J-drama can't. As of now on Viki, Dramafever, and Crunchyroll, only less then 10 J-dramas when I can find over 1000+ K-dramas, and 50+ Chinese-language dramas.

Quote:
Every once in a while one of these agencies attempts to do something with an American media outlet, and is quickly taken aback and insulted when Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone either a) doesn't care about their pop star that doesn't speak English; and/or b) uses an image in a way they consider improper. And then they take their toys and go home.

It was the same for K-pop, they got ignored by global media and didn't get a lot of attention in early 2000's when K-pop took over Asia. Sure BoA and Se7en failed to break into the US, but that didn't stop Korean entertainment agencies from doing it again and again. but K-pop has gotten more global attention in 2011-2012. After Gangnam Style, K-pop has gotten more mainstream worldwide attention and now 2013 is considered a big year for K-pop in US and around the world. Geez, even Billboard has a dedicated column for K-pop, something that J-pop and J-rock wasn't able to do.

My message to the Japanese entertainment agencies: If you want your idols, stars to get more attention and recognition around the world, you have to work very hard just like Korean entertainment did. Sure I want to see AKB48 to get the same recognition like Girls Generation did, I sure want to see EXILE to be Japan's equivalent of Super Junior, the same thing for Arashi, I would like to see them getting the same love around the world like TVXQ and JYJ gotten. But they have to work hard and Japanese agencies has to use the internet and proper marketing. Japan never made use of this and now look what happen, K-pop gained that upper hand. I like to note that South Korea was #1 in ICT Development ranking for the last 3 years. I noticed Japan didn't made the top 10 on ICT development ranking. If Japan want to replicate this, they have to use the internet and proper marketing and it wouldn't hurt to gain some knowledge about globalization and global marketing, that's how Korea did it. Japanese entertainment agencies, don't let mainstream global media shame you like that, it happened to K-pop too but that didn't stop K-pop from taking over the world.

Now I wondered when will Japanese agencies will wake up to see that they're falling behind on international scale. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Seriously, this conversation is really starting to go into "real fan" territory, so let's just stop it with this post. Just because someone only likes 1 or 2 shows per season doesn't make them any less of an anime fan than someone who tries to watch as much as possible. Shut up with this "real fan" bull**** and just let people enjoy what they enjoy, even if it isn't as much "new" stuff as others would "prefer".

The only one bringing in the "real fan" BS is you. It is obvious from the following messages that others got what I meant, while you chose to go into insta-offend mode.

And I quote:
Quote:
There are people that are in category 3 (and there is nothing wrong with that), but they think they are in category 2. If someone only finds one or two acceptable shows per season, there is a good chance they are in category 3.

Does it really matter to you if people think they are an "anime fan" (i.e. your category 3) if they aren't quite as "hardcore" as some others (i.e. your category 2)? If you really give a damn about stuff like that, as in actually bothering to define stuff like that, then I think you're thinking about it too hard. You bring up liking stuff like movies "on the side", and I can agree with that, but bringing it up on a place like a forum where people talk anime is kind of pointless. If someone wants to call themselves an "anime fan", even if they only watch a couple of newer shows every year, then by all means they can go an call themselves that, and I won't judge them by trying to "correct" them by categorizing them as something else based on their viewing habits.

Granted, I personally never really use terms like "hardcore" or "casual", mainly because gamers have used & abused those terms to the point where they are absolutely nothing more than personal ego-stroking. Therefore, the very idea of categorizing fans like that is something I just find silly & pointless. Can someone be "harder" of something than another? Sure, but does it really matter who's "more of a fan" in the end? I don't think so.

I'm not someone who goes to the theater often, but I still consider myself a fan of movies & even certain directors, actors, etc. Sure, I may not be up there with the likes of Zac, Justin, or any other person who goes to the movies heavily (or even went to school for related subjects), but I'm not going to think of myself as any "less" of a fan of something because of that. Do I value their opinion & feelings on these things? Sure, but that has more to do with experience & overall knowledge, not because I look at them as more "hardcore", or anything like that.

You want to categorize fans, which means that you might want to put the "value" of one type of fan over another. All I'm saying is that categorizing fans, whether it's "real" or "casual" or "hardcore", is absolutely ridiculous & has no point other than to stroke egos. Enjoy what you enjoy & that's all. Don't like what another person thinks? Then have a conversation about it; that's what a forum is for, after all. But trying to put a "value/category" on another person isn't going to help matters.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Geo. Geo Geo Geo.

Please actually pay attention to what he's saying, and not what you think the subtext of what he's saying is.

His point is manifestly obvious, and the same phenomenon occurs in all sorts of different hobbies. YOU are the one suggesting that there is a value judgement in it, not him.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
You want to categorize fans, which means that you might want to put the "value" of one type of fan over another. All I'm saying is that categorizing fans, whether it's "real" or "casual" or "hardcore", is absolutely ridiculous & has no point other than to stroke egos.

I'm afraid you are wrong. Categorizing fans is what companies do when producing any kind of movie, anime, game, etc. You may not like or accept it, but there ARE different categories of anime fans out there. Casuals who only watch the random anime, casuals who only watch stuff on toonami, fans who only watch dubs, fans who only watch subs, fans who import from Japan, etc. And like it or not, some categories are more important then others. The most important category is the one in which the members buy anime directly from Japan. To the anime industry, that is the most important category. To the R1 industry, the category that watches dubs is more important then the one who imports from Japan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Hey, can I do a little shameless self (well, company) promotion?

For the past year or two, Yomiuri TV Enterprise has licensed our drama series to CR almost every season.

Deka Suzuki, Secret Agent Erika, Taburakashi, Town Doctor Jumbo, Random Hero, and currently streaming Hakuba no Oojisama...

So
1. Kenrishouri is not impossible for new drama, with proper preparations.
2. The biggest limiting factor is viewership numbers/money at this point.

So if you want more jdrama, watch more legally available jdrama! That'll convince CR and other sites to put the extra effort needed to secure the licenses. Right now jdrama is a lot of work to license for not much return compared to anime.

Well a few weeks ago, CR's Social media manager asked on the forum about J-dramas. I don't know if this indicate that CR has gotten more J-dramas. But I'm sad that Japan is not taking proactive role into exporting J-dramas outside of Asia. I wish NHK World would be more like KBS World. NHK World doesn't broadcast J-dramas nor anime except NHK World Premium which you have to pay while KBS World, no additional package. I heard TV Japan subscription is getting more expensive. One thing that stink about dramas on NHK World Premium and TV Japan is that the dramas aren't even subtitled, just only 1 or 2 J-dramas on there are subtitled yet all dramas on KBS World are subtitled for a worldwide audiences. KBS World beside broadcasting on satelite TV, they even have their own Youtube channel and it has a lot of variety shows, dramas, and other stuff (Music Bank, etc..), yes all from South Korea all uploaded on there for global audiences to watch. As a matter of fact, I'm currently watching an episode of Hello Counselor from KBS World Youtube page while I'm typing this. Smile

Now NHK World has their own Youtube page too, not a lot of interesting thing on their YT page, and less then 120 video uploaded on NHK World (while KBS World has about 7,000+ video uploaded on YT).

I wish NHK World YT page can be more like KBS World YT page, all variety of entertainment uploaded on there for anime/drama fans for me to watch. KBS World YT page with all entertainment uploaded on there is the reason why the Hallyu is still active.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:

To be honest, I lament the fact that the circumstances of the US industry mean that your company only works on discs for NISA, rather than other studios also being willing and able to outsource to you.

Viz is starting to use him too. I know at least Accel World was authored by Justin. I hope Viz continues to give him work. ^^

Oh! Well that's positive. Certainly from the point of view of someone at Viz having the presence of mind to think, "okay, let's get someone who knows what he's doing."

Too bad it's for a show I don't want anything to do with. But maybe one I care about will be next!

Quote:
Quote:

More power to the majority of fans who don't notice or don't care about minor or even major quality deficiencies. And I mean that sincerely, since the point of all of this is to enjoy it. But, fundamentally speaking, there's a severe lack of justification for the minor problems present in even things that Sentai and FUNimation released just this month, highlighted by the fact that there's nothing wrong with the work that you put your name and MediaOCD's name on.

A reason why I don't quickly buy newer Funimation and Sentai releases anymore. I'd rather read feedback from others before making a purchase. Funimation gets a huge strike against me since they're stuff is always (almost always?) brighter than their JP counterparts. I don't know why they mess around with the black levels (I think this is the correct term). With Sentai - their QC with their discs is so up and down.

I know I'm in the minority and Funi's stuff is decent overall (a little less so with Sentai). So, like you, I have no problems with fans not noticing or caring about quality deficiencies since most of the time you need a copy or screenshots of the JP BDs to really notice.

You can still, in a vacuum, pick out the compression artifacts in Sentai and Maiden Japan releases (and I'm not just talking about the crap 1080i ones). And the fact that every single Sentai and Maiden Japan menu to date is a shamefully blocky mess (I know it's just a menu, and is probably low on everyone's priority list of things to be at all critical about, but come on, where's the excuse for having it look like a lousy jpeg?).

But really, we've been seeing issues for years with DVDs, where the inherent limitations of the format meant art if acting even in the best of situations. Now, there was still a comparative gap, where Japanese DVDs would look better than their US counterparts, but in neither case could problems be completely overcome. So, if people can be okay with that, then any of the results on Blu-ray here are a step forward.

The disappointment is that there's really no reason for it with the Blu-ray format, as evidenced by the fact that the vast majority of Japanese anime Blu-ray releases are pristine, as are the titles that Justin has worked on.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
If you have the same tastes as them (like I do), you will obviously enjoy the medium a lot more but there are still some stuff out there for the crowds who don't like your standard anime offerings.

I still can't believe some people don't understand that simple fact. I'm not talking about the people who are sad about it, but the people who are outraged that more anime that they like isn't being produced. I'm sure you've all seen in on this forum as well: a new show show gets made, it's an adaptation of a popular manga or LN, and the first page has half the comments like this "Why the hell is this getting an anime and not X" or "Why Japan?" etc.

How about those of us who understand this, but still bemoan it as short-sighted, insular, and creatively bankrupt? I think Justin's correct in that the tide has started to turn over the past few years, but there were a good 4 or 5 years there where the collective industry output was just dire.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
How about those of us who understand this, but still bemoan it as short-sighted, insular, and creatively bankrupt?

You are a hardly as annoying, since you at least understand why it's happening. It's not the people that don't agree with the current trend that are annoying, it's the ones that don't understand why and act as though the industry would make a lot more money catering to them.
In reality, the industry goes where the fans want it to do. 5 years ago, that might have been mecha, 2 years ago, incest.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the complaint that the anime market is being overtaken by moe was legitimate up to quite recently, but that's become less and less relevant. We get plenty of variety these days, even if not all of those shows are good.

Justin raised an interesting point about the fact that we once had mainstream shows that gained widespread appeal with western audiences but not any more. I often see people wondering why this doesn't happen any more and recently I've started thinking that the big anime boom of the last decade had less to do with the actual shows themselves and more to do with the viewers, ie anime gained enough exposure at just the right time (when kids and teens were still looking to television for most of the entertainment) to attract attention as a novelty, not necessarily because the shows themselves had some intrinsic quality that made them
uniquely suited to cross-cultural appeal.

In other words it's not that the shows have changed, it's that the viewers and the environment has. After-school cartoon channels aren't as big a thing, TV in general isn't as big, the people who were into anime as kids and teens grew up and mostly lost interest (or pursued the fandom into more "hardcore" avenues) and the new generations growing up latched onto other crazes.

These discussions so often seem to be predicated on an assumption that anime should or could have had lasting mainstream appeal in the west, and some confluence of factors, whether economic or creative, conspired to cut its popularity short- factors that could theoretically reverse themselves and allow anime to regain the stature it had in the boom years. My view is a lot simpler: anime as a massively popular mainstream entity was only ever a fad, whose time passed just like all fads pass. The current status of anime in the west, as a niche product bought and appreciated by a relative minority, is its natural state and not an anomalous result of poor fortune.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I think the complaint that the anime market is being overtaken by moe was legitimate up to quite recently, but that's become less and less relevant. We get plenty of variety these days, even if not all of those shows are good.

Which fairly recent shows are you watching? I'm still spying the detail-less, age-ambiguous (ie:underage-looking) character designs that have been described as "moeblob" for the past few years. Some blobs are more detailed than others but we're not out of the hole yet.

I'm also not noticing this variety of which you post. We have kids shows and we have shows that pander to the ever-insular otaku oligarchy. Ecchi comedy is the only genre that I've been able to count on to have a chance to not be directly pandering to the tastes of said oligarchy or to be praising the members of that oligarchy (ie:the NEET glorification of the past few years).

The only show that kinda fits the bill is Attack on Titan. Sad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
My view is a lot simpler: anime as a massively popular mainstream entity was only ever a fad, whose time passed just like all fads pass.

I agree with this to an extent. I think anime fans have simply diversified. Anime/manga was a gateway into Asian Media, and many anime/manga fans are now also fans of Japanese/Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese music, manga and dramas. You only need to look at the US anime convention scene to realize that there is still a huge fanbase, and for many cons, their attendance levels grow by a couple thousand every year, with new conventions continually popping up primarily on the West Coast. Something is still drawing people to attend these cons, especially those that are willing to spend hundreds of dollars and travel hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to attend.

At this point, I don't think that anime is merely a "fad", but something that is likely to be around as long as children are exposed to it in the US. Without children viewing 'cartoons' like Pokémon, the likelihood of them viewing other anime, as well as moving on to other forms of Asian media, is going to diminish. Animation, as well as other media, is likely to become more global in nature as those that have been exposed to it will grow up, get jobs and gain greater ability to spend more on entertainment. The US comic industry seemed to head that way; Child fans grew up, had disposable income and eagerly pay to view live action movies featuring their former heroes and whatever events and merchandise they generate. Anime is likely to head this route too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I saw Those Who Hunt Elves a few years ago and got tired of it immediately. Like everyone's always tired to tells these people, the 90s wasn't only Cowboy Bebop, you forgot all of the shit along the way because of selective memory and strongly biased opinions

And great, I just knew that if someone asked about drams mdo7 would go on his "muh Korea" tirade. Now we never need to have that ever asked again, lest he never shut the hell up anywhere else. But really, if they make money on the dramas, and they're comfortable with the profits, there's nothing they "need to learn" from Taiwan or Korea. They have the power and control to force their demands, they have the leverage! Korean and Taiwan do not, so they sell their works out cheaper.

The whole Cool Japan angle is something the government wants for tourist bucks, anime, manga, and drama companies don't necessarily need to worry themselves over it, they don't need a Hallyu wave or whatever to save them.
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
To this day, I'll debate the slight against Saber Marionette J too, with Bob. That was a highly entertaining series. Granted it was in an era more dominated with Harem Comedies. It's still great compared to other ones of it's time.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

And great, I just knew that if someone asked about drams mdo7 would go on his "muh Korea" tirade. Now we never need to have that ever asked again, lest he never shut the hell up anywhere else. But really, if they make money on the dramas, and they're comfortable with the profits, there's nothing they "need to learn" from Taiwan or Korea. They have the power and control to force their demands, they have the leverage! Korean and Taiwan do not, so they sell their works out cheaper.

The whole Cool Japan angle is something the government wants for tourist bucks, anime, manga, and drama companies don't necessarily need to worry themselves over it, they don't need a Hallyu wave or whatever to save them.

Given Japan's population decline that keep getting worse every year, it could be inevitable that Japan may have to export dramas and music outside of Japan in the future because the population decline could hurt the local market in Japan. Japan may in the future may try to replicate it's own hallyu wave in order to do something about the population decline that and Japanese artists could be getting jealous their Korean counterpart are getting more worldwide recognition then them. Also because Korea was the first Asian country to replicate this wave, other Asian countries may try to repeat what Korea did, Taiwan is going to try to do this since Taiwan is facing population decline, that and Taiwan is similar to South Korea in term of globalization and making use of ICT. So it's very likely Taiwanese pop music in the future could end up becoming popular outside of Asia after K-pop. Indonesia is also trying to replicate a wave similar to Hallyu. Japan is falling behind when it comes to dramas and music.

Also what about people in the US, and Europe that want to watch J-dramas?? I want to watch them, yet Japan's entertainment's weird and wacky laws and agreements prevent that from happening, and I'm not going to resort to torrent to watch my J-dramas. walw6pK4Alo, you may not be a drama fan, but wouldn't it hurt to maybe watch one drama (from Japan, Korea, or Taiwan) to see if you like it or not. It doesn't hurt to watch one, beside dramas replaced most of my problem with anime coming out these day (even the one that are aimed at otaku).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17