• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Offers Toradora! Blu-rays With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
as long as she doesn't try and sound like Rie Kugimiya but still be an angry teenage girl, I'll be happy

Last edited by getchman on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm not a romance person, so I'll skip this...
I'm not a "romance person" either, but I appreciate quality work, which is it what this show is.

I have no problem with romantic work and can appreciate their existence and quality. I just have difficulties getting invested in the romantic exploits of characters unless its part of an over-arching plot, if that. The only romantic-type film/series I've really enjoyed to date has been Her.

When I say I'm not a romance person, I mean I don't care for it in real life (as an aromantic) and that apparently carries over to what fiction I enjoy. That's not to say I'm not happy that people are getting it or denying that it has quality beyond a romantic comedy. It just holds zero appeal to me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think Toradora! is being dubbed because, like others have already mentioned, it has been a great seller for NISA. I honestly do not expect to see older NISA releases get a dub mostly because the majority of the titles are niche. Toradora! is a very special that could become a mainstream success with a dub.

Perhaps future NISA releases like the critically acclaimed The Eccentric Family could get a dub, but I think it is a too niche title. Only time will tell. I think seeing more dubs in NISA releases would be a positive thing. I hope they are smart about it because they are a niche company with nowhere near the level of market penetration a Funimation has.

Yeah, sadly Eccentric Family is probably too niche to get one, would probably be a lot of fun too Sad
I'd absolutely double-dip for an Occult Academy dub to go with that show's gorgeous animation.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Super excited about this! This was one of my favorite shows in recent years. And now I can finally get it on both BluRay and with a dub!? Yes please.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
varmintx wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm not a romance person, so I'll skip this...
I'm not a "romance person" either, but I appreciate quality work, which is it what this show is.

I have no problem with romantic work and can appreciate their existence and quality. I just have difficulties getting invested in the romantic exploits of characters unless its part of an over-arching plot, if that. The only romantic-type film/series I've really enjoyed to date has been Her.

When I say I'm not a romance person, I mean I don't care for it in real life (as an aromantic) and that apparently carries over to what fiction I enjoy. That's not to say I'm not happy that people are getting it or denying that it has quality beyond a romantic comedy. It just holds zero appeal to me.

I'm not a tsundere person, yet I'm buyin one of these premium blu-ray sets because eventually it will be gold in the secondary market. It's kind of worth it when you think long-term.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
More cast of characters are listed here:

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=toradora&pfile=staff.php

Quote:
Yasuko Takasu/Nanako Kashii - Karen Strassman
Yuri Koigakubo - Elizabeth Thomas
Koji Haruta - Brian Beacock
Hisamitsu Noto - Jason Baker
Maya Kihara - Mela Lee
Sumire Kano/Inko - Wendee Lee
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Wendee Lee is the parrot. should be interesting
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Will buy in hopes that they dub NagiAsu and Love Live!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I'm generally not a fan of these later dubs since they punish those who bought the first release. But its basically been long enough that anyone who did has probably got some mileage out of their DVD. Plus, they're going right to a cheaper standard edition for those that may have already shelled out for a collector's edition and just want the show itself. Anyway, I hope this translates to more dubs or at least more BDs from them in the future.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
ChexGuy wrote:
Filia from Skullgirls = Minori. What.

Kyubey = Taiga and Madoka = Minori. Double what. Shiemi Moriyama = Minori and Yukio Okumura = Yusaku. Aoi Asahina = Taiga and Kyoko Kirigiri = Ami. Quadruple what.

But really, I am very happy over this latest development. Between this and Attack on Titan, 2014 is definitely shaping up to be a great year so far.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Given Answer-Justin's comment a few months back that Hulu is beginning to generate serious money for anime companies, I kind of wonder if NISA isn't going to ultimately make more money long-term by having a nice, accessible dub on Hulu generating advertising revenue ad infinitum. After all, a romantic comedy like Toradora! will be made particularly more attractive to casual fans with a dub.

If they put the dub on Hulu I will be really happy. Likewise if Netflix gets it (I know that it'd be up to Netflix to buy it, and I'm not sure they've bought any NISA licensed series before. But if Knights of Sidonia does well for them...)

I hate to say it, but I'm really not a disc person. I like to watch TV live or internet streaming as-it-airs, and I prefer TV shows (deep serialized storytelling) to movies (one-shots--it's like comparing novels to short stories). So even though I like dubs, I'm finding that with more shows simulstreaming I'm watching more subs than ever before. It's weird.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
About time we get a dub from this show, now all we need is some dubbing from Sound Of The Skies, Saki, and Girls Und Panzer and we are all set Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
^ uh, I think Sentai *did* dub Girls Und Panzer.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^ uh, I think Sentai *did* dub Girls Und Panzer.

Oh really? When did that happen? I didn't know that :O
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Dec 3rd, 2013
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8