• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
This "X series is not a shoujo, it's a whatever other demographic" discussion is giving the "Inaho/Slaine shot first" argument a run for its money on the "most inane discussion that people get really angry about" category
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
I'd love to see Hikari no Densetsu get licensed. I know it's a sports anime, but its classified under shojo and ran in a shojo magazine. It's probably unlikely that it will get licensed considering it's from the 80's tho, but a girl can dream.

Oohh, I forgot about that one! I've been reading the manga in French, and it's terrific. I actually think it may be a more viable choice than some other sports anime, since rhythmic gymnastics has so many elements of dance in it. That might give it a broader appeal. (As you said, a girl can dream...)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
This is nothing like Slaine/Inaho. Chihayafuru and Hataraki man are josei. That is FACT, not open to discussion.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I would say the most tragic unlicensed shoujo are all the huge properties currently airing in Japan for years now. Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Aikatsu, and PriPara being the big four giant titles.

Add in Pretty Rhythm and that would make five.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the "Tragically" part myself; Even His and Her Circumstances would have hit the shoujo "50 and over" club if the manga was fully adapted; It's not because of the story or characters are so rich and developed but it's because the manga itself was inflated for serialization. There's only so much you can do with one romance before you start repeating or ruining your own story. I wouldn't mind watching either Boys Over Flowers or Marmalade Boy, I just wouldn't know at what point would I get sick of it, though I did make it through all of NANA and Honey and Clover.

But those were specifically about larger casts and weren't "leading girl" shoujo romances.

I liked Paradise Kiss but more for its design than its story. For this show, the sexual politics, as well as those wonderful side characters, could have used a little fleshing out and I think 26 episodes would have made a better fit than the terse 13.

Chihayafuru? You can have deep characters and complex personal situations, only without the obscure game hook. Either it's the point of the show and you watch it for that reason or else it's wallpaper and it can just be easily ignored like it was part of the setting description. I watched Saki which was about Mah Jong and I now know less about Mah Jong then when I started the show; I'm never going to repeat that mistake.

Minky Momo is all about the ending, or so I've heard. And having heard about the ending, I don't want to watch the show. Tragically, indeed.

Hatakari Man does seem to be the kind of show I'd like but it's also an 11 episode manga adaptation so it could also be a little incomplete or rushed, which I don't like.

My own choices:
I really liked the show Ultramaniac; It's not licensed, it's shoujo and it's longer than the manga. It's not the greatest shoujo in the world but I'll still take it over any otome adaptation.

I've added Fancy Lala to my anime collection; That one is honestly tragically unlicensed and obscure. And I bought it as a blind buy at that.

But look on the Brightside here: Discotek is more likely to rescue these shows than any other company. I just say that as Viz and Funimation have already disowned them and neither are likely to license old shows.

My pick for the poll is Assassin Tao Pai Pai from Dragon Ball because if you can wear a pink dress with the words "Kill You" on it and still take people by surprise then you've earned some sort of distinction. I also jokingly considered Alucard and was surprised to find him on the poll.

He's not the deadliest, he's just dead... as are his targets. Gunslinger Girls? They're mild cyborgs, not terminators. I consider Assassin and True Assassin from Fate/Stay Night to be in show jokes about, well, assassins. I mean, they're all assassins, it's the plot of the show.

My second pick was the cast of Basilisk.... but they canceled each other out.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
I don't care if it is shoujo or Josei, the fact that Chihayafuru is not licensed here is a travesty. I have a lot of respect for Siren Visual, not only did they pick up Chihayafuru but another great Josei series Nodame Cantabile.

edit: Although my real wish for Chihayafuru is not the anime (which I have imported from Australia) but the manga. I am so upset that I will not be able to own the whole story.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
law240

Love Hataraki Man waiting for subs was agony I don't really care about the classification I just wanna own it at this point
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:
I would say the most tragic unlicensed shoujo are all the huge properties currently airing in Japan for years now. Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Aikatsu, and PriPara being the big four giant titles.

Add in Pretty Rhythm and that would make five.

*high five*

I have all the Blu-rays and DVDs of Pretty Rhythm (all three series), so I don't need an English release PERSONALLY, but the first two especially are awesome, awesome series that need to be experienced by the English-speaking community officially.

Also, the arcade game is fun. Wink
lys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is nothing like Slaine/Inaho. Chihayafuru and Hataraki man are josei. That is FACT, not open to discussion.

Yes, it's a fact (ParaKiss is also borderline josei; it's been established that Hataraki Man is Actually Seinen), but I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about shows aimed at female audiences and group the shoujo/josei market together, especially when both are relatively small markets in anime. Shoujo itself has a range of ages targeted—young girls, high schoolers—those are separate categories even if they don't have separate names. As a female fan who enjoys female-targeted media, I like quite a lot of shoujo AND josei and while I have a nerdy love of categorizing and sorting them by their respective magazines and demographics in my head, there's no need to get so picky about it in a post like this. The point is, shows for women and girls have some titles we really wish were available. I'm MORE interested in this list because it doesn't stick to just "by-definition" shoujo titles.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

This is not an argument about fact, it's an argument about inanity, and yes these little complaints are inane at this point.

In fact, from this point forth, if all anyone feels like contributing to the thread are pointless comments about how "X is not shoujo," which has been mentioned by multiple people by this point and which Lynzee has already addressed and explained on the first page of this thread, then I'm just deleting your comment. Thank you.

========

lys wrote:
I may be part of the problem: I'm the obvious target of shoujo and josei media, buying dozens of shoujo manga series in English and Japanese, but I don't care about anime and don't typically buy more than... like, 1 series a year? Even if I think it's a great series, I rarely get farther than a few episodes in before I either buy the manga (if available) or add the manga to my own personal tragically-unlicensed list (or add it to the list and buy it in Japanese, if I'm really determined).

I do wonder if this is a sort of trend (rather than just my individual preference), since even in Japan the anime that gets produced leans more heavily toward a male demographic, while manga seems like a fairly even split (or at least, there's such an abundance of manga for everyone, no demographic is lacking in content).

(Side note: I am female in case anyone doesn't know). In terms of number of series, I'm the opposite where I buy more anime than I do manga. In terms of the amount of money I spend, it's probably close to 60/40 (anime/manga), and the amount that I consume tends to be 90/10. However, I tend to prefer shoujo/josei more now than I did when I was younger (I was adverse to lots of girly things in my preteens/teens) so that might be changing.

Anyways, I almost always prefer anime adaptations to the same material that is covered in the manga due to the auditory experience. Music helps heighten the emotional experience for me, so I really cherish BGMs, OPs, EDs, etc. Voice actors and ambient noises also help improve the experience. The times where I don't like the anime adaptations are when they deviate from the manga's plot and I prefer the way the manga told the story (i.e. Chrono Crusade and Victorian Romance Emma) and/or when I can't get used to the different character art styles. Of course, whatever material doesn't get covered in the anime I then rely upon the manga to finish, so I do often end up rating the manga higher than the anime because I get the full story.

Which brings me to willag's Top 7 List of Shoujo/Josei Manga She Wants a Full Anime Adaptation of (And Will Probably Never Get):
1. Yona of the Dawn - Heck, I'll go ahead and put this at number 1 since we're actually getting an anime adaptation of the first 40+ chapters. I'd love for them to continue milking it while they can, especially since we still don't have the manga licensed over here. Crying or Very sad One of many shoujo adventure fantasy on this list.
2. Please Save My Earth - The anime removed a lot of the humor from the manga to make a more dramatic experience. I still absolutely love the manga, additionally because of the humor, but I'd love to see a full dramatic adaptation of it.
3. Basara - I haven't seen the anime of it, and it's not really a high priority since it isn't a full adaptation. One of my favorite shoujo adventure fantasy ever.
4. 7Seeds - By the same author as Basara, this shoujo adventure fantasy manga doesn't have an adaptation, and I never expect it to considering its length, age, and the fact that it's still ongoing. *tears*
5. From Far Away - Another shoujo adventure fantasy that I don't ever expect an adaptation for.
6. Story of Saiunkoku - There probably won't ever be a full translation of the novels online (just short summaries), so having an anime wrap up the story would be great.
7. Chihayafuru - I haven't been as enthused with where the manga has been going recently due to personal preference, but I'd still like to see a full adaptation since we're unlikely to get the manga over here.

Also, I've tried several live action adaptations, but I just don't seem to care for them. Live action doesn't have the wackiness that I prefer animated or drawn material to have. Anime/manga tends to be more visually expressive. Also, live action makes things more down-to-earth and realistic, which removes a lot of the cartooniness or visual gags that I love. So I'd rather have anime adaptations than live action adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Chihayafuru and Hataraki man are josei. That is FACT, not open to discussion.

It is not a fact because there is no official, universal definition of "josei" in the context of anime. Whether or not it is appropriate for any particular show is a matter of opinion.
It might be a fact that the original manga was published in a josei magazine, but the anime could be changed significantly.

Even in manga josei, shoujo, shonen, and seinen are just the general demographic of the magazines. Those words do not define the stories.
Magazines can, and do, run stories that they hope will appeal to people outside of the normal demographic and bring in new readers.

Those demographic terms are really not very useful for describing anime, especially anime in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Shoulda just used the catchall "shoujosei".
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
What is funny I had gotten second box set of marmalude boy probably will still in print. I was thinking I find set 1 eventually as I had seen episodes from it already. I didn't tell years later when I found a dealer at AnimeNext selling sets pretty good price too. Like 100 for the whole set.
Saints Tail I found at suncoast all except one or two volumes of dvd. Including the last box.
Some of these maybe harder to find but there have been ways to find them decent prices. not as much as one time.
I haven't seen this one mention but Phantom Thief Jeanne (someone did I missed it first time looking). I enjoyed the manga somewhat from what I got to read and sad anime never got licensed. Note to self: Pick up viz release Phantom Thief Jeanne I don't have at animenext.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I really liked the show Ultramaniac; It's not licensed, it's shoujo and it's longer than the manga. It's not the greatest shoujo in the world but I'll still take it over any otome adaptation.

My pick for the poll is Assassin Tao Pai Pai from Dragon Ball because if you can wear a pink dress with the words "Kill You" on it and still take people by surprise then you've earned some sort of distinction. I also jokingly considered Alucard and was surprised to find him on the poll.

LOL I added Alucard, but that might be cheating if we're not counting the undead as legitimate kills. Tao Pai Pai gets style/meanness points, but nearly everyone in original Dragonball is half in the bag all the time, so sneaking up isn't all that difficult.

I like Ultramaniac too, it's one of those little series that starts out cute/fluffy, but sneaks up on you with FEELINGS. Amazon still has it at normal prices though, so I think it's still in-print.

willag wrote:
Which brings me to willag's Top 7 List of Shoujo/Josei Manga She Wants a Full Anime Adaptation of (And Will Probably Never Get):
[abbr] Yona of the Dawn, Please Save My Earth, Basara, 7Seeds, From Far Away, Story of Saiunkoku, Chihayafuru.

Also, I've tried several live action adaptations, but I just don't seem to care for them. Live action doesn't have the wackiness that I prefer animated or drawn material to have. Anime/manga tends to be more visually expressive. Also, live action makes things more down-to-earth and realistic, which removes a lot of the cartooniness or visual gags that I love. So I'd rather have anime adaptations than live action adaptations.

We have very similar tastes Smile I would add 12 Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt (from the same author) to the list though. Basara drags in a few places in the manga, but I actually feel the adaptation is still worth watching, despite being criminally short. It at least gets far enough to tease you with the Blue King. Saiunkoku could've gone on for another 39-ep run and I still wouldn't have felt sated though :sigh:

Several josei live-action series do have the wackiness you describe, but the one that most readily springs to mind is the Taiwanese one for Skip Beat (Extravagant Challenge). If you're at all familiar with the series, the drama retains much of Kyouko's fanciful/comedic nature, even down to using CG for the "grunge spirits" that are her hallmark.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Awwww Marmalade Boy! I loooooved that show. SO cheesy but SO good! Same with Boys Over Flowers which SERIOUSLY should get an anime reboot to go along with manga anyway.

Deadliest assassin...EVERYONE IN BLACK LAGOON, Hei in DTB before well...the second season happened, Zwei in Requiem for the Phantom, Claire "Vino" Stanfield in Baccano! and oh yeah did I mention EVERYONE IN BLACK LAGOON?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7