• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [2015-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
It's nothing to do with Hikigaya or some quiet scenes in the episode, though, which I still really liked. It's more about Yukinoshita who's kind of experiencing an out-of-character treatment. I'm not sure it may be just me, in eps 2 near-ending she said her objection on Hikigaya's method in her coolness as usual, but in this episode, I think she got emotional over it too suddenly, or that in one scene, her expression is animated to exaggeratedly in showing her emotions, imo, to the point that it feels out-of-character.

Yukino keeps a very tight rein on her emotions, but she is most defintely *not* emotionless. The reason, I think, for her outburst was that even after what had happened to Hatchiman in the past as a result of his methods, he was basically setting things up another instance of the same thing. This is clearly self-destructive behavior on his part, and Yukino just couldn't stomach watching him do it again, and especially not giving it even tacit approval by working with him on the case. If you listen closely, you can almost hear her fishing around for reasons *other* than the one that is probably the most important to her. I thought she was pretty deseperate to keep Hatchiman from torpedoing himself get again.

On a different subject, I am really, *really*, REALLY tired of hearing people say "It gets better. Really, it does!" Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. There's no guarantee either way. None of us know for sure what the future will bring.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
This is my favorite show of the season. While BBB wins artistically, this one has my heart. I'm many years from being a teen but this story hits me viscerally. It's being told beautifully and obviously subtly enough that many of those watching it are being fooled in the same way the characters themselves are. It happens to all of us but it isn't often portrayed in anime in a way that makes a viewer (re)live it.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
That Episode 1-3 review seemed more like an analysis that you would see on an anime blog than a review, but I absolutely loved it, and perhaps for this type of show where there are so many things going on between the character interactions, analyzing the characters' personality probably gives a better idea of what the show is about.

EDIT: The review forgot to mention the important fact that Hachiman built that protective shell around him mostly because of his bitter experience in the past in middle school. Although I don't think the show will deal much with what happened in the past, I am curious about whether the reason why Hachiman became the way he is now is because he is easily hurt emotionally or because the girls ostracized him. I am asking this because I have personally experienced that in the past, and I think I am suffering the same problem Hachiman is experiencing in the show. Its a pretty interesting topic.
Angel10701

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

On a different subject, I am really, *really*, REALLY tired of hearing people say "It gets better. Really, it does!" Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. There's no guarantee either way. None of us know for sure what the future will bring.

Yeah, at this point, I have no idea where Studio Feel might go with this show. Either they adapt to volume 9 with volume 7.5 being adapted as the last few episodes, or they adapt to volume 10, which would bring about a cliffhanger.

Don't get me wrong, it does get better, the problem is how the studio will drag things out.
KatamariSkill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of the best reviews I've read on this site. Well played and thought out.
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I can't agree with 90% of what the reviewer is saying. It's clear he isn't really understanding the meaning behind the characters, the reviewer is misinterpreting so much. What he does get right is the art and animation are quite good, and clearly has greater production value than last season, and that the characters are nuanced, deep, and layered. Unfortunately the reviewer is totally misinterpreting what's going on so much of his review doesn't sit right with me at all. I'm glad he likes it, but he doesn't seem to really get what's going on at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
I'm glad he likes it, but he doesn't seem to really get what's going on at all.

Well then, since you seem to be such an expert, would you like to explain what's actually going on with the characters?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
Unfortunately I can't agree with 90% of what the reviewer is saying. It's clear he isn't really understanding the meaning behind the characters, the reviewer is misinterpreting so much. What he does get right is the art and animation are quite good, and clearly has greater production value than last season, and that the characters are nuanced, deep, and layered. Unfortunately the reviewer is totally misinterpreting what's going on so much of his review doesn't sit right with me at all. I'm glad he likes it, but he doesn't seem to really get what's going on at all.

I think there is a lot of room for multiple interpretations of the characters, their interactions, and especially their motivations.

For example, in Nick's interpretation of Episode 2, it's pretty clear that (a) Yui has a crush on Hachiman, (b) Hachiman knows that Yui has a crush on him, but (c) Hachiman does what he does in Episode 2 even though spoiler[he knows it will upset Yui. ]

There's actually another interpretation I've heard, though: (spoiler-tagged, just to be safe) spoiler[(a) Yui has a crush on Hachiman, (b) Hachiman does not realize that Yui has a crush on him, so (c) when Hachiman does what he does in Episode 2, he sees that Yui is upset, but he doesn't really understand why.] I'm not sure which of these interpretations I prefer, or even which one is more depressing.
Snufalufagus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
This is the anime I most anticipated this year. I was a bit wary of the change of animation studios and at 1st it was a bit jarring as only Yui looked almost the same. But now I feel that it a definite improvement as overall animation quality is better. But what was most improved to me is how shots are framed with tonal shifts. The perspective they used when they are in the club room to show the emotional distance that separates them in episode 3 was particularly good. I am extremely happy that they exceeded my expectations.
The story so far is exceptional I have no knowledge nor want to have any knowledge of the light novels. I want to have my own expectations and hopefully they are broken. It must have come as a great shock to Yui and Yukino to see Hiki "get serious" as he did in ep 2. To me they probably thought what he was doing all this time as somewhat self deprecating when it was actually destructive. I can understand Yukino's anger and Yui's angst over what they witnessed. It feels to me that Hiki is angry too. To him it must seem like he is just doing what he had been doing all along. The sudden turn from acceptance to anger, well he must think he is losing again.
"Anyone nice to me is nice to others too. But I always find myself on the verge of forgetting that. If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl. And so, niceness is a lie. I would always hold expectation. I would always misunderstand. At some point, I stopped hoping. An experienced loner never falls for the same trap twice. A lone warrior, surviving hundreds of battles. When it comes to losing, I’m the strongest."
From past perceived experience he must think he is about to be alone again. It must feel like he is about to lose his place yet again. It must be very frustrating I cannot wait to see what happens.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
I really like where the story is going with all the deep character interactions, but I really hate how Hayama always points out little nuances about characters without giving the audience a chance to find them out themselves. Like in episode 3, he just straight out said Haruno "smothers the things she loves, and destroys the things she hates". In episode 4, he mentioned how Iroha never shows her true self to people she doesn't care about. Those are information that have no context in the past few episodes, and probably won't be relevant for another few more episodes, so I see no point in him mentioning them at all and basically makes a show that is complicated seem really generic.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I agree. It would have been nice to figure those things ourselves rather than have the series just tell us them matter-of-factly.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Especially since the show is really good at "show, don't tell," the fact that it then follows up with the telling anyway is kind of a pain.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
I personally thought that against Hachiman's talks of not be pitied and why would he do such things for others, it actually did affect him positively. He said that he was losing resolve of his ways of how he deals with things, which is good because it is bad for him.

And he did know that it was hard for Hayato to say that to the girls because he finds it incredibly hard to be negative.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And he did know that it was hard for Hayato to say that to the girls because he finds it incredibly hard to be negative.

Orimoto and her friend were being such a pair of rancid twits that I would find it remarkable for him not to eventually say anything. After all doing so would put an end to or at least push back on all the negativity coming from them.

Yet I am not really clear on why he set up that date in the first place, and why he got so much help from Yukinon's sister in strong-arming him into it. Hachiman wasn't going to get anything out of it but what were they expecting?
Snufalufagus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Lols I just wrote a post hoping expectations are broken and BOOM ep 4. Look at all those shattered expectation pcs looks like I need a dust pan. Just like with Log Horizon SQUEE.... Not very manly but I just could not help it. At the end of season 1 Hayama was the 1 person who was hurt at what Hiki put himself thru. Though he was the only one to actually witness it. This is his apology to Hiki about the beginning of season 2. But seriously that teacher told him it hurts to watch someone you care about be hurt. A lesson that both Hiki and Yukino need to learn. It seems likely that Yui is that teacher. They should be ashamed of themselves. Cause it hurts. So Hayama the only thing you needed to do was to ask him to please STOP IT!!!!!!!Blunt, obvious, and say it over and over again as many times as necessary. Cause if you are not obvious some one "strong at losing" can always find a way to dispute it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8