• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Gets New ViVid Strike! TV Anime Series in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies? It's possibly a joint venture since Yui Ogura is signed to King while Inori Minase is Sony Music the parent company for Aniplex. I always wondered if some dispute over who got distribution rights for that awful Vivid anime is what caused them not to be released.

Considering all the "drama" that happened when Tamura left it's pretty clear she went away in bad terms. Which may have been caused a lot of strife inside the production committee as well.
As far as I can tell, Nanoha as a franchise with this name is basically dead at this point. This is a way for Seven Arcs to try and keep it going in another way.

Can you PM an explanation of this? Last info I saw about that was very vague and basically just said she was leaving with no real reason. She's been in new stuff since then, so I figured she just changed companies...I was just happy she didn't retire, but never really saw info on what happened.

She had a huge falling out with King Records. These guys are notorious for being real bastards that can even make Aniplex who basically worked an animator to literal death among other things almost look downright decent. Just look up the Kokoro Connect incident and what one of their producers did and see just one reason I loath the cocky arrogance of the anime industries producers and how it's IMO toxic enough to flat out ruin a lot of anime both indirectly through neglience and directly through stunts like what happened with Kokoro Connect. Anyway it seems like she's in a better place at I'M Enterprise now which is just a straight traditional voice talent agency and not a music company like Aniplex or King. That's how she's still getting work, just don't expect the big promotions she used to get with King Records stuff anymore.

I'd suggest people read up a bit on the big producers in the industry, but I'd also caution that it can reveal such unsightly information, seedy backroom politics and favoritism that it might sour you on anime like it kind of did for me. Nowadays I'll only even watch something if it has a certain level of freedom from production committee meddling and politics which kind of eliminates 95% of late night anime unfortunately since almost all of it is controlled out of Aniplex, Kadokawa, King, Bandai Visual and the like who are music and/or publishing companies looking to promote their products, not people interested in making great anime for the sake of it no matter what they claim to placate fans.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
There are too many unknowns to be sure what's to "blame" but I still think Tamura leave was the nail in the coffin. Ever since the Vivid reveal things have been progressing in an increasingly odd way:

- Vivid announced to be A-1 thing with some of the most generic reasons (aside Seven Arcs working on Dog Days);
- no BD ever going on sale;
- teasing a S2 of Vivid then going completely silent (and this clearly isn't a S2);
- no mention of the third movie ever again.

And there's the announcement without any kind of reference to the Nanoha name or anything, with even a new main character.
Something happened behind the scenes and I think it's not only money-related. THese kind of things seems to appear more frequently as well (see Shingeki no Bahamut - Manaria Friends sudden cancellation for example).

Quote:
Just look up the Kokoro Connect incident and what one of their producers did and see just one reason I loath the cocky arrogance of the anime industries producers and how it's IMO toxic enough to flat out ruin a lot of anime both indirectly through neglience and directly through stunts like what happened with Kokoro Connect.

I actually witnessed it first hand and it was very unpleasant to say the least.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
It took me a while to notice the project is not called "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid Strike", but simply "ViVid Strike".
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Notice that King Records is involved, so do not expect Nanoha or anything, since Yukari Tamura left them. And I assume that's one of the reason VIvid never got BDs.

Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies? It's possibly a joint venture since Yui Ogura is signed to King while Inori Minase is Sony Music the parent company for Aniplex. I always wondered if some dispute over who got distribution rights for that awful Vivid anime is what caused them not to be released.

That's kind of what I was wondering. Thing is that with the two movies, while they were both King/Sony co-productions, Seven Arcs was still the main animation production studio and was on the production committees for both movies (as they were for each of the first three TV series too), so it was really more of a three-way partnership. ViVid was the first and only installment of the franchise where Seven Arcs seemingly weren't involved at all as animators or producers, even though I'm pretty sure they also have a partial ownership stake in the franchise alongside King, and I'm wondering if that was part of what fouled things up for the BD releases, if the three parties couldn't come to an agreement on how to split up the revenues because of Seven Arcs' non-involvement or something. Or maybe Seven Arcs was unhappy with the product A-1 put out and just preferred to squash it - that wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting more details about this. If they're bypassing the rest of the ViVid manga and the poorly-received Force and just giving us a completely brand new story, that's an intriguing decision (though potentially very wise, if it turns out well).

And I'm guessing - based on the franchise's traditional sports car theme, that "Berlinetta" should be the official romanization for Rinne's last name, since a Berlinetta is a type of sports coupe (most often associated with Ferrari, though Maserati and Alfa Romeo have also used the label).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Wait, we're not getting the third movie?!? Nooo! Crying or Very sad

I had no idea about any of this drama, and as a very casual fan of the franchise who has only seen the two movies, I was sort of just patiently waiting for the third one. This really sucks.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Wait, we're not getting the third movie?!? Nooo! Crying or Very sad

Well, nothing officially has been said about it being canceled but.... well, nothing of any sort has been said on it for like two years so yeah, so between that and all the other stuff that's happened with the franchise, all signs point to it being dead and never happening.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies?

3 out of 4 new cast members are signed to King Records and A-1 is no longer involved. The only thing that points at Aniplex involvement is Inori Minase's agency being Sony Music Artists.

These guys are notorious for being real bastards that can even make Aniplex who basically worked an animator to literal death among other things almost look downright decent. Just look up the Kokoro Connect incident and what one of their producers did and see just one reason I loath the cocky arrogance of the anime industries producers and how it's IMO toxic enough to flat out ruin a lot of anime both indirectly through neglience and directly through stunts like what happened with Kokoro Connect. Anyway it seems like she's in a better place at I'M Enterprise now which is just a straight traditional voice talent agency and not a music company like Aniplex or King. That's how she's still getting work, just don't expect the big promotions she used to get with King Records stuff anymore.

Yukari Tamura has worked for I'm Enterprise for the entire length she was with King Records. She moved from the closely related Arts Vision there at roughly the same time as she switched from Konami Digital Entertainment. She has always been able to get work without King (or Konami) tie-ins.

Kokoro Connect producer was transferred into irrelevance a year and a half ago while the generally very well liked Akio Mishima has moved fairly high up (although this has reduced his direct interaction with artists, something that seemed to be an issue with Yukarin)

Relaunching the Nanoha IP minus Nanoha is better than it dying off entirely I guess but the circumstances hurt.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Had no idea that there was any drama and bad feelings going around. That's a real downer.

On the other hand, I am really interested to see where they go with this. I'll admit that I haven't seen any Nanoha in a long time, nor have I actually read or seen any Vivid. From what I've heard/read/whatever it's not that great, but I was planning to give the anime a shot.

Now I'm curious as to what they're going to do now that (they're probably) going to start the series from scratch and not tie it to previous series'. They might mention things in passing or show those ol' "still-image and narration" flashbacks when necessary.

I believe that any references to previous series' will be:
Mommy and Mommy were great mages who saved the world several times and served with the Dimension Police
Oh yeah, they had some friends
Mommy damaged my not-Linker Core when she saved me from (that scientist guy), and that's why I'm training to regain my powers
...and that's it. Maybe some references or in-jokes about other characters from the franchise.

...and then at some point Vivio regains her totally-not-Sankt-Kaiser powers and goes Super Saiyan and meets her evil counterpart, Vivio Black.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Judging from the looks of it, this new season(?) of MGL Nanoha will be the first time neither Nanoha or Fate will appear at all within the show, perhaps due to the...plethora of unfortunate circumstances, some of them involving Yukari Tamura, mentioned up above.

Well...I hope ViVid Strike turns out alright, but with Nanoha and Fate potentially being left out of the spotlight, I'm not sure if the show will have as much staying power as the preceding seasons, even with Vivio and Einhart around.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the new project but it's hard to have a new entry in the franchise without Tamara or Mizuki. Nanoha will always be my favorite magical girl franchise. I have wanted for years to see someone in the states to rescue the license from limbo. So that I could support it without having to track down dvds that have been marked up by alot.
sakura8818

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
I would be lying if I say I'm not disappointed if they are going to completely remove Nanoha and Fate from this new series.

I've been watching Nanaho series for a very long time, probably since I was young so Nanoha holds a lot of childhood memories for me. So when they announced Vivid last year, I was pumped, even though I was slightly disappointed it was not animated by Seven Arcs Pictures. But then I was like fine, it should still be good, it's Nanoha after all. But then it turned out horrible, at least in my point of view. I've read the original manga and the anime was totally not what I was expecting. They character designs was the ultimate turn off for me. I know they were trying to go for the "moe" or "cute" route since it involves a lot of young girls but they could have at least cut down the moe/cute shit for the adult characters. And the whole series was just a no for me.

So even though this new series isn't going to have Nanoha or Fate, or any of the older characters in it, I will still give it a shot. And I'm just going to hope for the best, that hopefully Seven Arcs Pictures is just going to give it the justice it needs.

P.S: Just saying, would anyone would like to see Mahou Senki Lyrical Nanoha or Sound Stages be animated? Because that would be awesome.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Hmm...what if the girl in the picture is Vivio, but this time she's Nanoha's biological daughter? That way you can "have both at once". Mommy's too busy with work to show up, but her legacy lives on.

...would give her even more motivation to save Vivio in the parallel-dimension version of Strikers, if it occurs at all.

Now I want to know if it is indeed an alternate dimension. What if Vivio is the same age and Nanoha's the same age and they're rivals ARGH
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
If there's no Nanoha, then what's the point?

Disappointed. Tuor is disappointed.

I think I'm going to go watch the cut on Youtube where Subaru goes berserk. That usually makes me feel better. Razz
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Hmm...what if the girl in the picture is Vivio, but this time she's Nanoha's biological daughter? That way you can "have both at once". Mommy's too busy with work to show up, but her legacy lives on.

But it's not the Chris/Sacred Heart over there on her arm. So no - it's not Vivio.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
..........what's the point of still going with this series? They just scrapped the two main characters that started this whole franchise. As A Nanoha fan for a long time, I was happy to see this. Then I read the comments stating that Yukari is no longer with the people recording this and that she left on a bad note. That made me sad. I didn't know this went down. And that really disappointed me. I really loved the interaction's between Nanoha, Fate and Vivio. It was adorable, but now they just ripped it all away.....

and who is that Person in the picture that sure isn't Vivio. She's Blonde. It looks kinda like Nanoha from the back but the clothes and everything is different. don't tell me they're making a character sort of look like Nanoha, change her name and make her the new important character in Nanoha's place. That's another humongous kick to the gut......

And I just Noticed. this is the first time Nana isn't singing the Opening song in a Nanoha series. Why didn't they bring Fate back? did Nana leave too or something? and also usually In Nanoha the Two people who Sing the opening and closing songs are the main main characters. You're telling me the two names I don't recognize are going to be the "replacements" for Nanoha and Fate?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4