• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: New Game!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote

First "passable", then final version. Chose that angle for the final version because it's easier to spot. And Hifumi's character is the last one.

The hair has a handful more of highlights to it and the shades are stronger (Hifumi's character does too), her eyelashes are slightly different and more expressive (Hifumi had that too), the ribbon has an extra shade (Hifumi added that too), and her ear and overall face has sharper lines and stronger shades, that's all she added in her last try. She also took from Hifumi the idea to give the clothes many more folds and small shades to those, and she gave more depth to the skirt's fold, that is compared to her first attempt.

If there is a difference between the two, it's probably only one, and I might be wrong, but it's actually how they coloured the skin, Aoba's shading seems a bit sharper than Hifumi's, but that's probably unintended since it was done by the same person, Miki Mutou.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Another fun episode, though Aoba should really, really be careful about disclosing details about her work to her friend. Everybody who works at a video game studio has to sign a non-disclosure agreement regarding the work that they are doing up until the game's release. Letting her friend know that they're working on the next Fairies Story and even the simple description of the background character she's designing is very likely a breach of the NDA.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Another fun episode, though Aoba should really, really be careful about disclosing details about her work to her friend. Everybody who works at a video game studio has to sign a non-disclosure agreement regarding the work that they are doing up until the game's release. Letting her friend know that they're working on the next Fairies Story and even the simple description of the background character she's designing is very likely a breach of the NDA.

Maybe I missed something, but didn't she wait until they said it was okay to talk about it? The previous episode showed her trying her best to talk about her work without mentioning what the game they're currently working on is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
First "passable", then final version. Chose that angle for the final version because it's easier to spot. And Hifumi's character is the last one.

Thanks for posting that and yes, I did see the differences but I think they are largely indistinguishable. Nothing that warranted a full week's of effort. When those characters would be wandering around in the background of some action you would certainly not notice that detail, and certainly not notice anything if the rendering including local lighting conditions. All those subtle highlight touches would be absorbed.

(A few months back I taught myself OpenGL programming which is something I have never used professionally. My models were built in Blender which isn't as sophisticated as the Autodesk tool but I was amazed at the capability that now exists even in the cheapest desktop graphics hardware and for that matter smart phones. But I know the stuff Aoba is learning now.)

Yagami said more than once the character appeared "stiff" (well yeah it is in a static pose) but I don't see any change that "fixed" that. At that point I was wondering if Yagami (and peers) were actually hazing Aoba. I'm rather glad that wasn't the case. The girls in the cast are all so sweet and I don't think we really need any rough sides to them. It seems that she was just wanting Aoba to really come up to full speed.

I LOL'ed at Hifumi's "help."
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yagami said more than once the character appeared "stiff" (well yeah it is in a static pose) but I don't see any change that "fixed" that. At that point I was wondering if Yagami (and peers) were actually hazing Aoba. I'm rather glad that wasn't the case. The girls in the cast are all so sweet and I don't think we really need any rough sides to them. It seems that she was just wanting Aoba to really come up to full speed.

That whole process remained me of a Developer Commentary track in Half-Life 2: Episode Two, about how much work goes into creating a believable, life-like character, when a successful end result will be, "Yes, that's the character I remember," while if they didn't invested the time into altering and upgrading the character model, players will notice that the model is a bit dated and/or unsatisfactory. Even far away, nameless, randon, endlessly-reoccurring characters, like the enemy the Combine, were given touch up at some spots in the game to make them appear more dynamic and "less robotic".

**If anyone is interested, you can listen about the creative process that went into creating Half-Life 2:Lost Coast, Episode One, and Episode Two here. It might give some additional context about some of the elements of the show.**
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Valhern wrote:

Thanks for posting that and yes, I did see the differences but I think they are largely indistinguishable. Nothing that warranted a full week's of effort. When those characters would be wandering around in the background of some action you would certainly not notice that detail, and certainly not notice anything if the rendering including local lighting conditions. All those subtle highlight touches would be absorbed.

(A few months back I taught myself OpenGL programming which is something I have never used professionally. My models were built in Blender which isn't as sophisticated as the Autodesk tool but I was amazed at the capability that now exists even in the cheapest desktop graphics hardware and for that matter smart phones. But I know the stuff Aoba is learning now.)

I LOL'ed at Hifumi's "help."

I think it took her more time to figure out what to do rather than actually doing it. And considering that her work was already passable, it's likely that Yagami made up an excuse for Aoba to improve herself to a more satisfactory work for her and not be content with "just okay". Of course nobody is going to notice that and Aoba says that too but I guess the gist of the message is that you should pour everything into your art rather than making it acceptable?

Considering that Aoba already figured what to do, it should take her much less time to do another character. Whenever you find out a better way to do something your pace certainly will pick up, especially if it's something you struggled with a lot.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yagami said more than once the character appeared "stiff" (well yeah it is in a static pose) but I don't see any change that "fixed" that.
An overly literal translation, perhaps. The word 硬い (katai, "stiff", "hard") when referring to a facial expression means something more like "serious".
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
I think that, besides being fanservice it's also chaarcter gaze, when aoba sees yagami inn her underwear she sees the whoel of yagami and how aoba considers it unprofessional, while lesbian2 sees yagami in her underwear she zooms out to yagami's sexuality.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ep 4 review wrote:
Aoba ends up saving most of her money, though she does spring for a cake on her way home.

Aoba springs for a cake for her parents, after looking in the shop window of a clothes store and remembering that her parents bought her the expensive suit she is wearing. Aoba is not a spoiled girl and has a good family. Dad spoiler[breaks down in tears] and mom spoiler[eats the whole cake.] lol.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the time with the older members of the cast.

One thing did stick out this episode, What the hell does Tanned Skinned girl do? She appears so little i forget she's in the show and I've already forgotten her name again. She only pops up to scold the Director every once in a while.
Mertal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Enjoyed the time with the older members of the cast.

One thing did stick out this episode, What the hell does Tanned Skinned girl do? She appears so little i forget she's in the show and I've already forgotten her name again. She only pops up to scold the Director every once in a while.

In the manga She is in the programming department and handles debugging. She will soon be more prominent in the anime, and is actually one of my favorite characters..
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
I vaguely remember a time when being asked what I intended to do with my paycheck elicited an answer that wasn't "Rent, food and bills."
M. Northstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a fun little reversal of expectations, and it suggests that New Game! might have a sharper sense of humor than I initially gave it credit for.

Reversal nothing. Her falling down was a foregone conclusion from the moment they decided to run. I admit I didn't think they'd be so gauche as to let her make an actual face plant on the concrete; that looked really painful, but then they didn't follow through with it, all she got was an imperceptibly red nose, so it's OK.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
I've actually never had a stylus quit on me before a tablet. Can you just buy any old replacement (provided, of course, it's the same brand as your tablet) or does it have to correspond to the tablet's exact model?
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I completely lost it when she appeared in the sleeping bag. This along with Sweetness and Lightning make mondays an enjoyable chill day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5