• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Yu-Gi-Oh Vrains, Serial Experiments Lain, C-Control Anime Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The English version of Arc-V was a failure...? Shocked The ratings have really sunk that low?

Apparently so. I hear it was their second worst-rated anime title, only doing a couple of thousand viewers better than LBX did.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
That's nice to hear! I'm a little surprised it aired on Nick at all with how they treated Yugioh before, maybe the rest of the dub can find a home on Hulu or other streaming.

No other children's network was willing to air Arc-V's dub, so 4K Media didn't have a choice. It was Nicktoons or nothing...and it still ended up failing. They moved Zexal's dub to Hulu after they stopped showing it on Nicktoons, so I'm guessing they'll do the same with Arc-V. Either that or Crunchyroll.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
I imagine this is a response to the dub's losing ratings on TV , so they'll finally attempt to cater to the long dedicated sub fans now that the dub well has dried up. Unfortunately, given those sub fans dislike the changes, a simualcast using dub names and terms is a bit of a pointless endevour.

-Stuart Smith
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Unfortunately, given those sub fans dislike the changes, a simualcast using dub names and terms is a bit of a pointless endevour.

-Stuart Smith

All the groups that were fansubbing VRains announced they're stopping now it's getting the simulcast treatment. With no other options available now, fans don't really have a choice but to follow the Crunchy version. I don't think most will mind though. I just finished watching the Crunchyroll subs, and they're retaining the Japanese names for everything but the cards. And even then, it's only the cards with TCG names that got localized.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I imagine this is a response to the dub's losing ratings on TV , so they'll finally attempt to cater to the long dedicated sub fans now that the dub well has dried up. Unfortunately, given those sub fans dislike the changes, a simualcast using dub names and terms is a bit of a pointless endevour.

-Stuart Smith

Literally none of the currently available subbed versions of YGO series have done this outside of card names and even then it's just for the stuff with official TCG names here to retain consistency. Sounds more like whining to me
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched a YGO series since 5D's, but I've been curious about Vrains so I'mma give it a shot again. See how it goes. Thanks to CR for picking it up!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The English version of Arc-V was a failure...? Shocked The ratings have really sunk that low?

Apparently so. I hear it was their second worst-rated anime title, only doing a couple of thousand viewers better than LBX did.

Amazing...I bet 4K Media were rattled upon finding this out. Hopefully this finally made them realize that an Americanized and "kid-friendly" version of Vrains won't save them from anymore red ink...but I'm not holding my breath.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
As far as I know there hasn't been any word on the Arc-V dub for a while and I think they only got about half way with it, makes me wonder if the Vrains dub is really that inevitable.

I'm assuming that VRAINS isn't available to stream on Crunchyroll in Canada solely because 4K believes they can still sell the show to a channel here. They're not going to air the subtitled version.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

All the groups that were fansubbing VRains announced they're stopping now it's getting the simulcast treatment. With no other options available now, fans don't really have a choice but to follow the Crunchy version.

Like with other official streams that use English terms, people will edit the subs for an alternate version for download though, like JJBA.

Divineking wrote:
Sounds more like whining to me

I don't see how fans not wanting Americanized names is 'whining'. It's generally distracting when subs don't match up with spoken dialog due to censorship or legal issues

-Stuart Smith
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
How exciting! This is the first time a Yugioh series has ever been simulcasted. Guess the official subs of the previous series have increased interest in the Japanese version of the show.

I'm also happy to hear Serial Experiments Lain has been added. Been hoping to check that out at some point, and now I know where to find it.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
As far as I know there hasn't been any word on the Arc-V dub for a while and I think they only got about half way with it, makes me wonder if the Vrains dub is really that inevitable.

They're working on the third (and final) season of the Arc-V dub as we speak. But I doubt we'll be seeing it here in the states. Nicktoons couldn't even finish airing the first season of the dub.

The rest of Arc-V season 1 is scheduled for the fall, but that's probably all we're gonna get afterwards.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm assuming that VRAINS isn't available to stream on Crunchyroll in Canada solely because 4K believes they can still sell the show to a channel here. They're not going to air the subtitled version.

Canada got the subs for all of the previous series. VRains is the only exception so far.

ReNellGlover wrote:
The rest of Arc-V season 1 is scheduled for the fall, but that's probably all we're gonna get afterwards.

Oh, good to know they'll at least be able to finish the first season. But if Zexal is any indication, they probably won't be able to air the rest. (Nicktoons only aired the first season)
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Primus wrote:

Canada got the subs for all of the previous series. VRains is the only exception so far.

... Presumably because they haven't sold the show to a broadcaster up here yet. None of those other sub runs started before the shows aired in Canada.

We're like 50 episodes from the end of Arc-V (1 per week), so I don't know what 4K is doing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
This brings me to this question...

How well is Arc-V faring in Canada?
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
... Presumably because they haven't sold the show to a broadcaster up here yet. None of those other sub runs started before the shows aired in Canada.

We're like 50 episodes from the end of Arc-V (1 per week), so I don't know what 4K is doing.

But Arc-V's subs have already surpassed where the dub is at in Canada. (there's only 36 episodes left to sub, compared to the dub's 50)

I could see that being the reason though. Only thing that's odd is France already stopped airing Arc-V's dub there, so I don't see why they're among the territories not able to access it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2