• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treiz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
First Escaflowne, and now this? Surely it must be cheaper to bring in the old cast members to do pickups of the bits that need to be fixed than throwing the entire dub out and starting from scratch. Rent a studio and record remotely, hell even flying them in should be cheaper. The original SEED dub was fine, maybe even great for the most part.
There must be something I'm missing here. What ever it is, I wish them luck. The Escaflowne redub turned out ok for the most part.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
I kind of had a feeling if they were ever going to make a serious push with the remaster in the US they'd do a redub, but I never thought they would actually do it. How ambitious of them. Also, voice compare fanatics are gonna have a field day with this.

The Ocean dub is not as good as nostalgics say it is. I actually do enjoy Gundam SEED and a good part of Destiny (well, until about episode 38 or 39), so I've had my fill of the Ocean actors. Quite a few of them do good work (especially Trevor Duvall and Mark Oliver), others are merely mediocre, suffering from flat, too dry deliveries. Also there's a bewildering double-cast with Richard Ian Cox's distinctive cords backing two different characters that is a bit distracting.

They didn't do bad work, but the dub for both shows felt rather plain and generic much of the time. Ocean's later dub for Gundam 00 was a lot more distinctive and memorable, IMO, due to being livelier in general. Compare Chantal Strand's interpretation of Feldt Grace in 00 and compare it to her effort as Lacus Clyne, and there's a big difference.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Good for Gundam Seed to get another chance over here as I thought that it was a much better series then hardcore Gundam fans discourages and dismiss it as being. (Indeed I find most of criticisms of it to be massively hypocritical coming from fans of Zeta, Victroy, 0083, Unicorn etc.) Seed Destiny on the other hand... is exactly as bad as most of the fandom says (though in part because it is derived from the already awful Zeta) and nothing short of total remake could fix it.

I wonder if they'll try redubbing Gundam 00 as well given that it's still relative new?

This is probably going sound rather awful, but I hated IBO's second season worse than Seed Destiny.
Destiny to me is rather meh, yes Shinn is annoying, he has his reasons and he ultimately gets thrown to the wayside for Kira and Athrun again. I was actually happy because he was a pretty messed up kid anyway and not likable. Do I think things could have been done better, yes, but I'm not going to breathe venom about it.

Comparing that to IBO's second season which was all over the place and pretty much sunk a pretty good first season. The disappointment actually hits me harder with IBO. It really felt like IBO went nowhere in it's second season and then Okada tried to emulate Tomino for the last half of it and murder half the cast. Plus, the more I think of the writing to IBO the more I realize it really stunk in the second season.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
This is probably going sound rather awful, but I hated IBO's second season worse than Seed Destiny.

Comparing that to IBO's second season which was all over the place and pretty much sunk a pretty good first season.

I agree, and that is exactly why. Destiny was bad, but it was consistent with characters making logical choices throughout and the different aspects of the plot coming together at the end. Some of those choices should/could have gone the other way, but I can understand the reasoning even if I don't agree. It certainly continued to go in the worst direction possible though so the show is still pretty awful.

IBO S2 on the other hand was just a complete mess, and like Destiny, it also just kept moving in the worst possible direction. I also agree that it was kind of shocking to see them ruin it half way through where as Destiny was never that great from the start.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

The Ocean dub is not as good as nostalgics say it is. I actually do enjoy Gundam SEED and a good part of Destiny (well, until about episode 38 or 39), so I've had my fill of the Ocean actors. Quite a few of them do good work (especially Trevor Duvall and Mark Oliver), others are merely mediocre, suffering from flat, too dry deliveries. Also there's a bewildering double-cast with Richard Ian Cox's distinctive cords backing two different characters that is a bit distracting.

They didn't do bad work, but the dub for both shows felt rather plain and generic much of the time. Ocean's later dub for Gundam 00 was a lot more distinctive and memorable, IMO, due to being livelier in general. Compare Chantal Strand's interpretation of Feldt Grace in 00 and compare it to her effort as Lacus Clyne, and there's a big difference.

I second this, the Ocean dub is very mixed and rough around the corners.
One minor role that I really liked in the Ocean dub was Andrew Francis as Muruta Azrael, I thought he nailed being a jerk with good rage(greatly improved since he did Escaflowne as a child). I think Ben Diskin would be great in that role, am I the only one that think they sound similar?
The two best roles in the Ocean dub I thought Lisa Ann Beley as Murrue and Mark Oliver as Rau. I'm interested in who NYAV will cast in those roles.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited. I've seen the show tons of times subbed & dubbed and this new cast looks really great.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

There is no part of IBO that even approaches as bad as even the original SEED, let alone Destiny. Even at its worst, it's no worse than parts of 00 (still better than SEED) or Wing (doesn't hold up, but still better than SEED). At least the characters in IBO are actual characters, and not just vague character outlines.

The misplaced nostalgia for CE era Gundam is baffling to me. It's just candy-coated UC rehash that doesn't even try to be its own thing. At least IBO took some risks. SEED didn't even attempt to go anywhere with Coordinators, except as victims of oppression. If an AU series is going to have a Newtype analogue, it should at least explore the implications, instead of taking the easy route.

But that said, I don't recall the English dub being particularly awful. There are certainly worse in the franchise, like the old dub for the original movie trilogy.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

There is no part of IBO that even approaches as bad as even the original SEED, let alone Destiny. Even at its worst it's no worse than parts of 00 (still better than SEED) or Wing (doesn't hold up, but still better than SEED). At least the characters in IBO are actual characters, and not just vague character outlines.

Well, I think all of those are better then 90% of UC Gundam and that you are obnoxious in your sheer predictability and one-track mind on the subject.

penguintruth wrote:
If an AU series is going to have a Newtype analogue, it should at least explore the implications, instead of taking the easy route.
Except that the Newtype concept in UC is down right incoherent as Tominio kept giving them new powers as the plot demands (See the Axis push deus ex machina of CCA), keeps changing the rules of how to become one and filp-flops over whether they are the genuine salvation of humanity or just a naive dream that will never be realized because man is too corrupt. At least, 00 stuck to it's ideal that becoming a Innovator is a good thing and will bring positive change and Seed to it's belief that Coordinators aren't better then the rest of humanity. (until Destiny anyway.)
MadHi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

MadHi wrote:
It would be nice to know why they're doing this since fans of this series and it's dub would rather hear it with the original VA's. I'm really sick of when drastic decisions are made with no explanation validating them.

You realize this isn't just an upscale right? It is recut with edited and additional scenes. If they could slap the old dub on there, I seriously doubt they would be bothering.

Yes, I realize that, but if you read the rest of my post (page 3), I said most of the original dub syncs up with HD episodes and it would be cheaper to hire Ocean Group to record a FEW lines rather than starting from scratch.

A little rerecording and tweeking here and wouldn't be an issue since a fansub group has ALREADY DONE IT, there were some issue beyond their control but they did their best and it's 95% perfect. Having more access to the raw audio and Ocean Group, they can just call them and say 'Please get Mr. Richard Ian Cox to rerecord this line from episode 39, they've added an extra laser blast on his jet which caused a slight lag when spoiler[it got smashed.]'

The only explanation they could give to shift blame is if they did contact Ocean Group they and responded with the following:

- No, we don't do bit parts, either the whole thing or nothing. Company policy.
- Pay us a an outrageous fee for the raw audio in our vault (or hard drive).
- We deleted the raw audio and no longer have them.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I kind of had a feeling if they were ever going to make a serious push with the remaster in the US they'd do a redub, but I never thought they would actually do it. How ambitious of them. Also, voice compare fanatics are gonna have a field day with this.

With the way NYAV is going to be cranking out episodes, I wouldn't guarantee that's going to change with this dub.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

With the way NYAV is going to be cranking out episodes, I wouldn't guarantee that's going to change with this dub.

Is that supposed to be a lot? It doesn't seem that extreme to me. Especially from a studio that doesn't record tons of shows at once like others.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

They could though. That's the thing. Sunrise would most likely have the master audio for the English dub that was produced. The only thing that makes it hard to just transplant the original onto it is the new scenes and rearranged scenes. Anyone with a good hand for video manipulation could make it work actually. I've tried doing it with my Japanese copies of the remaster and I made it work for the most part. The only exceptions being some of the SFX didn't match up completely but I also didn't have the raw audio files that Sunrise would most likely have.

This dub is being supervised by Sunrise if they feel that's not a good option then they won't get behind it regardless. They would rather have a consistent dub then do all that work.

Last edited by curtisd88 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MadHi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I've tried doing it with my Japanese copies of the remaster and I made it work for the most part. The only exceptions being some of the SFX didn't match up completely but I also didn't have the raw audio files that Sunrise would most likely have.

I know it's unlikely, but are you a member of the fansub group whom I shant mention who went through the trouble of placing the dub over the HD Remaster?

It was for the most part a solid job considering their limitations which is basically not having the master audio. And that's something Rightstuf and NYAV Post can overcome with ease being the companies that they are.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

I know it's unlikely, but are you a member of the fansub group whom I shant mention who went through the trouble of placing the dub over the HD Remaster?

Nah. It was personal project. I was taking a course on video editing in college and we had just finished up a unit on audio desync and the like. Wanted to try my hand at doing something crazy.

curtisd88 wrote:

This dub is being supervised by Sunrise if they feel that's not a good option then they won't get behind it regardless. They would rather have a consistent dub then do all that work.

Thats not very encouraging considering everything since Unicorn has been mediocre to awful. Not sure to say if its VA direction but you've got stuff like Io not being not enough of a sleezeball in Thunderbolt, Orga being hilarously miscast in IBO but also things like recasting established characters like pretty much the entirety of Origin. I love Silverstein's Frontal but his Char's eeeeh.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
The redub strikes me as a little odd, but that's only because I thought the original dub was fine and I have gotten used to those voices. The cast looks good, (Stephanie Sheh and Cherami Leigh are always pluses in my book) though my only complaint is Erica Mendez as Flay. Nothing against Erica, she's amazing, I just hate that she's playing Flay because I hate that character with a burning passion. She was easily one of the worst things in the original show. It's basically the same feeling I got when Todd Haberkorn played Sugou in SAO.

Anyway, I'll more than likely be picking this up depending on the price since Seed is one of my favorite Gundam series. They can put Destiny back in the garbage where they found it though.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I had never seen SEED or SEED Destiny before, but I planned on watching them. I actually looked forward to watching the Ocean dub! It had a solid cast from the looks of it. Plus from the few clips of it I had seen, it sounded great! But no. I suppose it's just not good enough for some reason or another.

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded by the fact that this is getting redubbed, yet Zeta didn't get a redub despite being one of the best series in the UC with the worst dub I've heard in a Gundam series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7