• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Hundred, Taboo Tattoo for BD/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leelee85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
Quote:

Actually I think that aniplex of america will release re:creators. they were doing some promoting for it last month at a con.

I thought Aniplex Of America is not going to licence anything that is on Anime Strike.

I have never seen a statement from AoA regarding that. but there is so many anime articles that its easy for me to miss it. I just found it weird that they were advertising the series which is something AoA doesnt do unless they have a stake in the property.

If that's the case Then Either Funimation OR AoA should License Dive!! or Battery along with the aforementioned ReCreators for Home Video Release.

I just noticed on the mamika can badge I imported using amiami does have an aniplex sticker on it. I dont know if that makes a difference to what I said earlier but...yeah

What do you mean by Amiami and the Mamika can badge?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Actually I think that aniplex of america will release re:creators. they were doing some promoting for it last month at a con.

I hope not. I wanted to buy Re Creators, but if its Aniplex then it will be JP prices so pass.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to hearing her name Bluesy Fruesy said in the English dub. Very Happy The anime Taboo Tattoo started off OK and then went down hill with every episode.

Hundred was a lot Infinite Stratos and as a result was watchable but nothing remarkable. Not sure I'd want to watch it again.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
Quote:

I thought Aniplex Of America is not going to licence anything that is on Anime Strike.

I have never seen a statement from AoA regarding that. but there is so many anime articles that its easy for me to miss it. I just found it weird that they were advertising the series which is something AoA doesnt do unless they have a stake in the property.

They are on production committee of a lot of show and promote them regardless if they own the R1 market releasing rights. One such case was Darker Than Black S2, they had advertisements of the show on their others series before Funimation even announced that they owned the license.

So you know, AoA is associated with Aniplex, which is associated with A-1 Pictures (hence, they get first dibs on what is knew from them) and all of them are associated with Sony in one way other another.

All this means is that they have a "stake" is very many shows and could be advertising show they don't own the license too.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
While both series had bad sales, "Anime DVD/BD Sales in Japan" (someanithing.com) shows TT averaged 368 units whereas "Hundred" average 1360 units.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Were these anime....bad? Confused

Hundred was mediocre. Not bad, but not great either. It did have some cool charatcers.
Toaboo Tatoo started off good. Then fell off a cliff. By the end the staff realized they were making crap and just started taking the piss out of it.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Y tho? Couldn't they find some actually good anime to release on DVD/BD??
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

I hope not. I wanted to buy Re Creators, but if its Aniplex then it will be JP prices so pass.

In Japan one cour (11-13 episodes) of anime on BD can cost $300-350. Aniplex USA prices the same amount of content for $120-180. Buying from AoA is expensive, but not JP expensive.
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

In Japan one cour (11-13 episodes) of anime on BD can cost $300-350. Aniplex USA prices the same amount of content for $120-180. Buying from AoA is expensive, but not JP expensive.

Do you think Aniplex USA will release anything that is exclusive to Anime Strike on DVD/Bluray that is not licensed by Sentai (Including Dive and Re Creators)?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
Do you think Aniplex USA will release anything that is exclusive to Anime Strike on DVD/Bluray that is not licensed by Sentai (Including Dive and Re Creators)?

If they are able to get distribution rights for something that becomes popular, they should release them on disc. But who knows at this point if Amazon cares about having their anime shows released on home video. We should have an answer to that sometime next year.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
How does Funi and CR pick what anime they're releasing and dubbing? It just perplexes me that well-received hits like Konosuba and Re:Zero, and even GabeDro from earlier this year, are sitting in limbo and stuff that no one really cared about like Hundred, or something that everyone made fun of like Taboo Tattoo get dubs and home video releases.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
How does Funi and CR pick what anime they're releasing and dubbing? It just perplexes me that well-received hits like Konosuba and Re:Zero, and even GabeDro from earlier this year, are sitting in limbo and stuff that no one really cared about like Hundred, or something that everyone made fun of like Taboo Tattoo get dubs and home video releases.

Konosuba and Re:Zero happened before the merge right? It might be a contract problem. Maybe CR gave the contract to somebody else before the merge happened.
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Konosuba and Re:Zero happened before the merge right? It might be a contract problem. Maybe CR gave the contract to somebody else before the merge happened.

What Merger?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Both titles were also prior to the partnership. Re:Zero is the same season as Hundred and Taboo Tattoo is the summer before. KonoSuba had a second season post the partnership so I would've expected them to do with it what they did with New Game (dub season 1 in two chunks on their streaming service, then simuldub season 2).

This isn't even me saying "Why aren't the titles I like being dubbed", especially since I don't watch dubs, but it just confuses me that titles that they know will turn a profit aren't getting a release, especially since it was confirmed that CR has the master license to Konosuba.

EDIT: @leelee85 There wasn't one. I assume they meant the distribution partnership.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

What Merger?

I meant partnership! My apologies. My brain did weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5