• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2018 News Roundup: Day Zero, One, Two Headlines

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
Isn't the Seven Deadly Sins series dub cast also Funimation's usual? I know Funimation announced their license for the 1st season right after Netflix announced their license, but it's strange that there's no word on 2nd season at all from them for this long.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It looks like ANN was the better place to find out about AX developments than attending the event itself! Amidst the heatwaves and lines, you would be forgiven for missing all this news. (I certainly hope I would be.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode. Actually learning something as well, like how strict our body's border patrol are, those guys don't mess around... xD
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to the Cells at Work anime for a long while; the manga has great art, and such goofiness, that it's one of my favorites. Very interesting that David Productions reached out to adapt this; in my mind, they were the perfect choice of studios for it.
everapril

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Beyond not simulcasting, what does the *community* hate about Netflix? I think they do an excellent job for their releases.

Not simulcasting is huge. They are vague about release dates and when they do release batches of episodes it’s often with very little notice and fanfare. Some of their dubs have been straight up terrible. Their curation of titles leaves much to be desired, in my opinion: It is difficult to find and sort through anime titles exclusively.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
It is difficult to find and sort through anime titles exclusively.

On Netflix Philippines, at least, there's a dedicated anime category.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Not simulcasting is huge. They are vague about release dates and when they do release batches of episodes it’s often with very little notice and fanfare. Some of their dubs have been straight up terrible. Their curation of titles leaves much to be desired, in my opinion: It is difficult to find and sort through anime titles exclusively.

I see, so it's about anime specifically.

I still get the impression that they don't really fully understand what anime fans want, considering they do the same with lots of their own shows and ordinary people, who look for things on Netflix other than anime, seem to like them just fine for what they do.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Why is Hisone to Masotan being held hostage until September? God dammit, Netflix, stop holding anime until months after they're relevant!

Making a parallel between delaying the broadcast of an acquired property and hostage situation is terrible. ^^"
More seriously, I can't see how a fiction interesting enough to make you want to consume it would lose relevance a mere few months after its first broadcast IN ITS ORIGINE COUNTRY. In general, I doubt anyone would want to discover a story when he's so sure it would be have no point only a few weeks later.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:

More seriously, I can't see how a fiction interesting enough to make you want to consume it would lose relevance a mere few months after its first broadcast IN ITS ORIGINE COUNTRY. In general, I doubt anyone would want to discover a story when he's so sure it would be have no point only a few weeks later.

The story might be timeless; but the discussion is over almost as soon as the next season starts. That's what the simulcast crowd are really bothered about, imo. SImulcasts mean 3+ months of getting to think & (more importantly) talk about a series & still feel relavent. Netflix's preference for releasing all at once means you've got a week to get on it before most people have moved on.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:

It's about the community aspect. Just look at how much discussion does even an averagely popular show generate - it makes it easier to find like-minded people and have conversations with them about a show that you enjoy (or not enjoy, as the case may be) for a prolonged period of time. It's especially helpful if a show is not very popular, for example Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori was my favorite spring show, and while it flew well under most people's radar it was nice to have at least some people to discuss it with each week, even if only on Reddit.

With Netflix's release patterns this is no more, and it really hurts the fan community. For example, look at Devilman Crybaby, a great show that pretty much came and went - sure, it generated quite a buzz for a short while, but it fizzled out in a month or so. With a normal weekly release Devilman Crybaby would have built a much larger momentum and a much livelier community around itself (considering it has enough material in each episode to be discussed at length for weeks). As it is, the show didn't have the impact it could have had - it would have had a much stronger impression if it was stretched out over 3 months like most other shows.

Let's put it this way, if say, Yuuri on Ice had been licensed by Netflix it wouldn't have acquired even a fraction of its fame and popularity in the English speaking anime fandom. There's lots of anime out there in each season, most people don't linger for very long before going for the next shiny thing.

A large amount of discussion and community presence also helps to generate hype around up the show, bringing in people who just want to see what all the noise is about. Look at all the wank over Darling in the Franxx, a mediocre at best show which is nevertheless one of the most watched series this year so far.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
It's about the community aspect. Just look at how much discussion does even an averagely popular show generate - it makes it easier to find like-minded people and have conversations with them about a show that you enjoy (or not enjoy, as the case may be) for a prolonged period of time. It's especially helpful if a show is not very popular, for example Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori was my favorite spring show, and while it flew well under most people's radar it was nice to have at least some people to discuss it with each week, even if only on Reddit.

With Netflix's release patterns this is no more, and it really hurts the fan community. For example, look at Devilman Crybaby, a great show that pretty much came and went - sure, it generated quite a buzz for a short while, but it fizzled out in a month or so. With a normal weekly release Devilman Crybaby would have built a much larger momentum and a much livelier community around itself (considering it has enough material in each episode to be discussed at length for weeks). As it is, the show didn't have the impact it could have had - it would have had a much stronger impression if it was stretched out over 3 months like most other shows.

Let's put it this way, if say, Yuuri on Ice had been licensed by Netflix it wouldn't have acquired even a fraction of its fame and popularity in the English speaking anime fandom. There's lots of anime out there in each season, most people don't linger for very long before going for the next shiny thing.

A large amount of discussion and community presence also helps to generate hype around up the show, bringing in people who just want to see what all the noise is about. Look at all the wank over Darling in the Franxx, a mediocre at best show which is nevertheless one of the most watched series this year so far.

Huh, it sounds like there is some sort of disconnect between the anime audience and the regular Netflix audience, considering shows like Breaking Bad, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Game of Thrones caught on and became quite popular through people binge-watching them after the shows came out and at least one season had already been available. Breaking Bad is a notable example as it achieved its highest popularity during its final season, during which people binge-watched the entire series in a catch-up.

For this reason, TV networks and streaming services are quite hesitant to cancel a show after just one season (nowadays, it's more likely after Seasons 2 or 4), because the execs are all crossing their fingers that the show will catch on after the season has already passed and people tune in to watch the available episodes all at once. This is now a very popular way of watching a show in North America.

But I guess the major difference is that western shows run on regular seasons, whereas anime does not.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Huh, it sounds like there is some sort of disconnect between the anime audience and the regular Netflix audience, considering shows like Breaking Bad, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Game of Thrones caught on and became quite popular through people binge-watching them after the shows came out and at least one season had already been available. Breaking Bad is a notable example as it achieved its highest popularity during its final season, during which people binge-watched the entire series in a catch-up.

For this reason, TV networks and streaming services are quite hesitant to cancel a show after just one season (nowadays, it's more likely after Seasons 2 or 4), because the execs are all crossing their fingers that the show will catch on after the season has already passed and people tune in to watch the available episodes all at once. This is now a very popular way of watching a show in North America.

But I guess the major difference is that western shows run on regular seasons, whereas anime does not.

Bolding by me, and and that is the key difference here. Anime is not made on US TV, with anime you get one season, sometimes two, and that's it. It's rare for a show to run longer than that, and those that do are usually ones that the English speaking fandom is not very interested in (kids' shows, stuff like PreCure, etc.). And with so many shows nowadays, if a show doesn't gain enough momentum going during the time it airs in Japan it usually gets forgotten. Again, just look at Netflix's licensed shows, how many of them have caught on in the English speaking fandom? Barely anyone remembers of Fune wo Amu. Piano no Mori's whole existence has completely slipped from people's mind. And so on. There's literally zero hype around them. And Netflix publishes them with little or no fanfare, so people are not even reminded of their existence. I seriously don't know how Netflix expects these shows to gain any significant viewer numbers.

Also, you mention shows that got popular when people binge-watched them. Sure, but then look at what happened: people who caught up started watching them weekly. People get interested in a show, catch up, and then have fun watching it weekly and discussing it online. Go into any subreddit/thread/post for a popular HBO show and you'll see tons of discussion for the weekly episodes. People spend months analyzing the episodes, theorizing, looking for themes or clues, analyzing character arcs, etc. - things that are pointless to do when you have the whole damn thing at hand so you can just binge it and have all the answers to your questions. And this means that the show is out there gaining people's attention for months, there's a lot more discussion, lot more hype, lot more attention than the shows would get if they were published all at once.

Again, look at Netflix's original anime, they're barely even present in fandom's consciousness. Devilman Crybaby is the exception, and even so, discussion and hype about it fizzled out in the fraction of the time than if it had a weekly release. And for other shows... where's the discussion and hype about B: The Beginning or Aico or the other one whose name I don't even remember? I mean sure, I think they were fairly bad shows, but even fairly bad shows still get discussion and hype. These ones might as well not exist in the English speaking fandom (let alone in Japan where not even the the big name seiyuu cast managed to get B noticed).

And this ties back to the community aspect: people get more connected to a show if there's a community around it. And sure, Netflix doesn't have the sort of tie-ins that make it important for anime to have dedicated fans (merchandise, events, source material manga or anime, etc), but I don't think they don't want any buzz around their shows...
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
OK... I guess I have nothing to answer to those ideas since they seem totally alien to the concept of watching TV programs (to me)

Thanks for revealing me those things Anime hyper
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
It wouln't hurt if P.A. Works could do a sub-license so YT or Crunchyroll to stream StJ weekly. I will definitely be tweeting/re-tweeting such a suggest (like at least once a day).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Huh, it sounds like there is some sort of disconnect between the anime audience and the regular Netflix audience, considering shows like Breaking Bad, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Game of Thrones caught on and became quite popular through people binge-watching them after the shows came out and at least one season had already been available.

Most of those people sought out those series and binged to catch up because of the buzz created by the fans watching weekly. If all of those series had been unceremoniously dumped by the season onto Netflix and could be seen nowhere else, they would not have become the powerhouses they were/are.

If anime on Netflix were released episodically rather than seasonally, and if the series generated buzz, there's nothing stopping people from binging to catch up once they get wind of it. But when it's all served in a heaping pile, not only does it make discussion muted and short-lived, it also makes it much more difficult, since not everyone is binging at the same rate. So we're back to either discussions that look like redacted FOIA documents, or people not being able to join the discussion until they've finished the series, by which time it may be too late, since half the people discussing it have moved on, having said what they had to say. So a good portion of people who might otherwise have been an active part of a discussion end up being passive readers of a discussion that mostly already happened.

SHD wrote:
Piano no Mori's whole existence has completely slipped from people's mind.

It's not streaming on Netflix outside of Japan until Fall, is it? So that's a little premature to say, but no doubt it will follow the same short half-life of other anime on Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3