• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Rai The Noblesse wrote:
finally time to start the Boruto Anime... (hope the 1st episodes are not all "filler"-like)

sorry its going to happen!

its a shonen jump series! its more or less a given that they will at least have ONE EPISODE as a filler!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little late in mentioning this, but I wanted to share both a video from someone named Anime Ajay as well as an article from Kevin at Sakugabooru's blog site about how big of a deal the production of episode 65 of Boruto was, from the debut of one of the franchise's key animators as a storyboard artist to the different animators that contributed from around the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
don't know if this has been brought up before, but with Naruto being stuck doing piles of paperwork, couldn't he create a ton of clones to split up the work and get it done faster? They all have his knowledge so they can make the same decisions and when he releases them he'll gain all their memories and know exactly what they did, it's the same as when he did his training.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
don't know if this has been brought up before, but with Naruto being stuck doing piles of paperwork, couldn't he create a ton of clones to split up the work and get it done faster? They all have his knowledge so they can make the same decisions and when he releases them he'll gain all their memories and know exactly what they did, it's the same as when he did his training.

that's because he's still too much of an kid like airhead persona to remember that! i mean have he ever used his brain or did something useful to his abilities that didn't involved in fighting? NOPE!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ethe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
don't know if this has been brought up before, but with Naruto being stuck doing piles of paperwork, couldn't he create a ton of clones to split up the work and get it done faster?

In one of the earlier episodes someone asked him why he never takes a rest and just leave a clone in his office, and he answered that it would be a disgrace to his position as Hokage. He does seem to use clones for certain duties (we see clones doing interviews or running around the village helping people), but when it comes to his office it's a different story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Strangely, none of the characters comment on the fact that Cho-Cho is a pubescent child while Tomaru appears to be a young adult.

When the village is raising child soldiers to fight, kill and die for it, worrying about if they can consent to sex (or a kiss) strikes me as low priority on the list of grievances against the Leaf's culture. It's the same mind-set that says violence in media ok for kids but sex isn't, or that views children as capable of consent to murder and to be tried as adults, but incapable of consent to sex.

My point is that I don't think Boruto is going to delve into the morality or consequences of adult/child relationships any more that it's about to examine the problem that several of these pubescent children already have blood on their hands.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in this storyline. Cho-cho has always been presented as being quite at home in her body, and genuinely confident that she's cute as she is. Her use of the Butterfly Mode here turns all of that into a mere facade to hide her understanding that the world does not see her as cute and that she should wish to be slender to be attractive. I don't see how they can write themselves out of this. She will undoubtedly "learn her lesson" that "it's what's inside that counts" (only said when the outside doesn't conform to cultural standards), but there's no going back from this exposure that she's always been aware that what's outside counts too. That makes me sad.

On a lighter note, it was nice to see Orochimaru smile in a way that wasn't evil or sinister, but simply happy (despite the fact that he's a mass murderer too). Smile
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Strangely, none of the characters comment on the fact that Cho-Cho is a pubescent child while Tomaru appears to be a young adult.

When the village is raising child soldiers to fight, kill and die for it, worrying about if they can consent to sex (or a kiss) strikes me as low priority on the list of grievances against the Leaf's culture. It's the same mind-set that says violence in media ok for kids but sex isn't, or that views children as capable of consent to murder and to be tried as adults, but incapable of consent to sex.

My point is that I don't think Boruto is going to delve into the morality or consequences of adult/child relationships any more that it's about to examine the problem that several of these pubescent children already have blood on their hands.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, I read the reviewer's remark as more of a stray observation than a genuine indictment of the show's content or the Leaf's culture. I don't think she was saying the age difference needed to be addressed at length or serve as a prominent plot point.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
How come Chocho seems to regain her weight just naturally over time as if the skinniness wears off? I thought burning off all those calories means they have to regain them through more eating, but here Chocho seems to also be against snacking too. Why even bother with the Butterfly Mode at that point when she could just use a Transformation jutsu to look the same just skinny?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
How come Chocho seems to regain her weight just naturally over time as if the skinniness wears off? I thought burning off all those calories means they have to regain them through more eating, but here Chocho seems to also be against snacking too. Why even bother with the Butterfly Mode at that point when she could just use a Transformation jutsu to look the same just skinny?

exactly my point. i can get that the chubby fat cells are needed to activate butterfly mode and all, but this is getting kinda dumb if you ask me.

glad this arc is a filler arc cause it would definitely be considered the worst arc of the series if it was canon!!!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jonin and Genin alike simply freeze for several seconds when a flash bomb is right in front of them, which seems like a rookie mistake.

Especially when it's helpfully labeled "flash." Rolling Eyes
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
Remember when naruto franchise actually focused on Ninjas acting like Ninjas?
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
Remember when naruto franchise actually focused on Ninjas acting like Ninjas?

I'm now starting to realize that Naruto is really a soap opera with ninja battles every once in a while.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go against popular opinion here: I thought this arc was pitch perfect, and I loved it!
In (my) real life experience, even the most body positive bigger gals' confidence can dip once in a while, especially after being rejected from a guy because of their weight. Just recently, a friend of mine, an otherwise confident adult, wrote a Facebook post about how a guy on a dating site rejected her because of her weight and she was heart broken (temporarily, but still upset). It happens!

It does not help that our media inundates us all with the concept that "skinny=beautiful", which has a negative effect on both young women who aren't skinny and young men's expectations of what they should look for in a romantic partner.

So was it really all that "unnecessary" for Cho Cho's self confidence in her physical appearance to be tested, especially in the context of a TV show drama and actors, the epitome of unrealistic beauty expectations and those who may hold them (because of what they're "expected" to uphold, professionally)? I really don't think so. And if otherwise confident adult women can be dealt a confidence blow from men's beauty expectations in real life, how much more so would a kid be affected in a similar situation?

Cho Cho changed her body type in response to getting a job on the set of a soap opera she was watching, which likely only ever featured skinny actors, and was hurt, temporarily, when one of those skinny actors rejected her because of her weight. Her confidence was tested in a realistic way, and she was able to regain it with the support of her close friends, especially Sarada and Mitsuki (Inoichi and Shikadai, as well as Boruto, aren't all that supportive, honestly. Not all one's friends are about everything, and that's realistic, too). I love Cho Cho's character more than ever now and thought this was a great affirmation of her character and a wonderful message for kids: no matter what you see on TV, or what potential romantic partners think, people in real life come in all sizes, and that's OK.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I really liked where this arc was going in the beginning (or at least, where I thought it was going) but I just can't get over how sloppy the writing was. Amy covered my beef with the "plot" of the TV show in the last couple weeks, but even that aside, the kidnapping scheme still left me with more questions than answers. Why exactly did this death threat turn into a kidnapping? Just because death threats stopped getting Ashina the attention she wanted? (Except they did, because they even hired ninja this time??) But then why was Tomaru getting threats if Ashina wanted the spotlight? Why was Ashina leaving the show in the first place? Amy suggested it was because they were killing off her character, but I was under the impression they were killing her character off because she was leaving. Do you really need to bring the entire film crew to a hostage negotiation? And I still don't get what Tomaru's intentions were with Cho-Cho. Did he really like Skinny!Cho-Cho or was he just screwing with her? The whole plot was just a confusing mess.

Also, the fact that everyone, except Cho-cho, seemed perfectly content with letting Tomaru fall down cliffs and potentially get crushed multiple times. You know, the guy they were hired to protect. Rolling Eyes

But most importantly, the message immediately fell flat for me in that Tomaru flat out tells Cho-Cho "no fatties", and instead of realizing that he's a shallow jerk (or, at the very least, likes a kind of girl that Cho-Cho can never be) she's more like, "Oh, he just doesn't like fat girls. That hurts because I'm fat, but otherwise I don't see a problem with that. I'll just pretend to be skinny forever!" Which seemed super out of character. Especially since the show clearly wants to make Tomaru look like a slimeball from that point (see: letting him nearly get crushed while acting cowardly), but Cho-Cho herself never seems to figure that out.

I totally agree with Amy that it was "a lesson Cho-Cho didn't need to learn."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I really liked where this arc was going in the beginning (or at least, where I thought it was going) but I just can't get over how sloppy the writing was. Amy covered my beef with the "plot" of the TV show in the last couple weeks, but even that aside, the kidnapping scheme still left me with more questions than answers. Why exactly did this death threat turn into a kidnapping? Just because death threats stopped getting Ashina the attention she wanted? (Except they did, because they even hired ninja this time??) But then why was Tomaru getting threats if Ashina wanted the spotlight? Why was Ashina leaving the show in the first place? Amy suggested it was because they were killing off her character, but I was under the impression they were killing her character off because she was leaving. Do you really need to bring the entire film crew to a hostage negotiation? And I still don't get what Tomaru's intentions were with Cho-Cho. Did he really like Skinny!Cho-Cho or was he just screwing with her? The whole plot was just a confusing mess.

Also, the fact that everyone, except Cho-cho, seemed perfectly content with letting Tomaru fall down cliffs and potentially get crushed multiple times. You know, the guy they were hired to protect. Rolling Eyes

But most importantly, the message immediately fell flat for me in that Tomaru flat out tells Cho-Cho "no fatties", and instead of realizing that he's a shallow jerk (or, at the very least, likes a kind of girl that Cho-Cho can never be) she's more like, "Oh, he just doesn't like fat girls. That hurts because I'm fat, but otherwise I don't see a problem with that. I'll just pretend to be skinny forever!" Which seemed super out of character. Especially since the show clearly wants to make Tomaru look like a slimeball from that point (see: letting him nearly get crushed while acting cowardly), but Cho-Cho herself never seems to figure that out.

I totally agree with Amy that it was "a lesson Cho-Cho didn't need to learn."

I agree that the plot of the show made no sense (if Tomaru's character was truly in love with Ashina's character, why would he kiss Cho Cho's character?) But the on the other plot points: Early on, Ashina told Sarada that she was leaving the show (presumably of her own accord) and moving to the next phase of her career. But the longer we spent time with her, it seemed to me that she took her part and the production more seriously than Tomaru did, but her character was being killed off unceremoniously--they were forcing her to leave so Tomaru could get another romantic interest, she implied to Sarada that she was leaving of her own accord to save face, and she was especially resentful because she considered herself a serious actress and considered Tomaru a hack who got by on his looks. Thus, the kidnapping plot--get Tomaru kidnapped and offer herself in exchange to prove to the world that she was the more virtuous, brave, etc celebrity, and more deserving of positive press and good roles. Her plan all along was to have him kidnapped and offer herself as ransom, but in the Naruto world, the best way to prove that someone is after your life is to hire ninjas, besides, by starting out with "serious" death threats in need of ninja protection, they were guaranteed even more press and coverage in the gossip mags, and when you are being unceremoniously killed off a popular drama to make way for a new actress, you want all the press you can get.

As for Tomaru's intentions with Cho Cho, I think he was teasing her, and it was meant to be playful. But he wouldn't even have looked twice if she appeared her usual size when they met. Not sure why Cho Cho kept up the ruse after he was nasty to her, and after he said "you will never get [an engagement ring]" I was certainly willing to let him die in a ditch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 31