• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Back Street Girls: Gokudols Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Andy and Steve. I have not watched this anime, nor am I likely to, now, but I just want to say that this was legitimately one of the best reviews excoriating a piece of crap that deserved it that I have ever read. Funny, pained, better suggestions at the end. Well done.

Cheers,

Erica
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand what really makes this offensive inherently (maybe specific jokes, but not so much for just the premise), but it's shoddily made in a way that makes me not really keen on standing in its corner.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
Back Street Girls was definitely one of the funniest anime series that I’ve ever watched couldn’t stop laughing from start to finish and I definitely recommend this series to everyone who actually has a sense of humor.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
So all this hubbub got me interested and I decided to watch the first episode out of curiosity and uh... did we watch the same show?

I'm not exactly the most educated on the matter so please forgive me for any ignorance, but there an awful lot of buzzwords like "transphobic" and "harmful" being thrown around here without much explanation and I'm not seeing much of that. The main joke is that they're idols who were former yakuza, the sex change aspect is barely brought up so far. For all it matters it could have been an isekai setup. Granted I'm only one episode in, so maybe it really does it get disturbing and problematic, but it even seems to be pretty supportive of the idea that your physical sex and your gender are not the same as we see with the yakuza's... predicament (for lack of a better word). They certainly do not identify as women despite the state of their bodies. As far as I can see there's nothing really attacking actual transexuality. At worst I could maybe say it's ignorant on the matter. Maybe any sort of depiction of transexuality in anything but a supportive light can be considered harmful in today's hostile society? I don't know, and I'm not exactly the most well equipped to answer that. But personally I can't imagine such an absurd comedy really affecting anyone's opinion on the subject.

Speaking of which, this show is hilarious. Let's just say I'm not a big fan of idol culture, so I thoroughly enjoy seeing it get torn to shreds with such little remorse. And the dub completely makes the show work; Richard Epcar continues to be a national treasure and both the male and female VAs for the Gokudols are clearly having a good time playing up the yakuza punk attitude to 11. I'm definitely glad I decided to give this show a shot despite the controversy surrounding it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
More cleaning out. Keep it friendly, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Not to imply anything about the intelligence of those that enjoyed the show, but,

Punching down and satire are not synonymous. It's worth understanding the distinction.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
...Roger Ebert also has a good quote. "I may disapprove of a movie for going too far, and yet have a sneaky regard for a movie that goes much, much farther than merely too far." Gokudols is this. It doesn't just cross the line, it crosses the line many times. So many times I can't take whatever goes in in that show with any seriousness at all and just roll with it...
Probably a matter of taste, but I can't imagine finding anything funny given the premise (OUCH...)and I usually like the sorts of shows the quote describes. Thanks for the warning guys, LGBTQ+ agenda very much aside. Passu...
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my post was deleted though, if you ask me, it contained nothing that should merit such an action. Maybe it came off more insulting towards the reviewers than I intended. Alright, cutting it down to basics without the lengthy talk about why I feel it's silly to get upset over a piece of made-up fiction when(by definition) it is not reality, no, Gokudols is not that bad and you should try it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Punching down and satire are not synonymous. It's worth understanding the distinction.

From what I understand, "punching down" is a term made up by a few people who took issue with jokes and comedy about certain groups and topics. It's not officially recognized anywhere nor has any legal binding, so satire as a genre has no relation to it. It's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

-Stuart Smith
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
JustinTaco wrote:

From what I understand, "punching down" is a term made up by a few people who took issue with jokes and comedy about certain groups and topics. It's not officially recognized anywhere nor has any legal binding, so satire as a genre has no relation to it. It's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

-Stuart Smith

How do you think language change works my duuuuuuuuude
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why there would be a legal standard for "punching down," considering that there aren't actually any legal consequences for making an off-color joke. That would go against most democratic countries' free speech laws, after all, including the U.S. First Amendment, which is especially narrow in what kind of speech it prohibits (basically just libel/slander against private citizens + violent threats). The kind of backlash people receive for making jokes that upset other people usually don't happen in a court of law.

So as arguments go for why some phrase isn't "legitimate" that isn't a very good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Not to imply anything about the intelligence of those that enjoyed the show, but,

Characterizing the humor in this show as punching down would imply that it's deliberately trying to ridicule transgendered people for its satire. If anything it's largely about the clash between yakuza and idol culture so you could actually characterize it as punching up given that.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
JustinTaco wrote:

Characterizing the humor in this show as punching down would imply that it's deliberately trying to ridicule transgendered people for its satire. If anything it's largely about the clash between yakuza and idol culture so you could actually characterize it as punching up given that.

This. You got it. The low tray humor was directed at the differences in idol/yakuza culture, not the transgender angle. I doubt any anime has the ambition/balls to do that anytime soon.
leep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I wonder who actually danced in the OP...

I heard it was the anime director. She did the coordinated dance routine with different wigs on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4