• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Evangelion Anime Worldwide on June 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Look, Netflix spent $100 million on Friends. They oughta be able to spring for decent actors.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
A modern dub would totally be welcome to new viewers, especially a big company like Netflix who probably have higher standards than a small dubbing company in the 90s.
Are these the same higher standards that gave us the A.I.C.O - Incarnation dub? IIRC, weren't some of Netflix's other dubs also considered slapdash and subpar?

Primus wrote:
AICO was dubbed in Miami. Not much anime has ever been done there in English, but the new Captain Tsubasa is also being recorded there. Don't know if it's the same studio as AICO, though.

I've heard conflicting information on who handles the dubs for Netflix. There's reason to believe Netflix themselves have little input on that and it instead falls upon the individual production committees to contract that out. That may be why we tend to see all foreign language dubs for a Netflix show produced by those big multi-national localization houses (BTI Studios, Iyuno Media Group, SDI Media, etc.) even if the work they produce isn't exactly acceptable (a problem that seems to happen more often with non-English dubs).

GNPixie wrote:
Same reason Sunrise seems to like redubbing Gundam shows in the States now if I had to guess. Because they can?
Have they really redubbed that many, though? SEED was a special case, since the re-edited/upscaled footage for the HD/16:9 version didn't line up with the old dub.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:
A modern dub would totally be welcome to new viewers, especially a big company like Netflix who probably have higher standards than a small dubbing company in the 90s.
Are these the same higher standards that gave us the A.I.C.O - Incarnation dub? IIRC, weren't some of Netflix's other dubs also considered slapdash and subpar?

I'd like to hope that was an experiment that failed and they won't be using that company again after the backlash and having Bang Zoom re-dub it. That mess aside I've been satisfied with the dubs of Netflix.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I don't know if the new dub will be better. I don't know if it'll be worse.

I do know that Ms. Winn-Lee has made it clear this has been a painful experience for her, and for that she has my sympathies.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
Well this is going to be weird, for me Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer are just who I think of when I think of Asuka and Shinji. It's a real shame they didn't rehire the old cast, the old dub was a bit rough but it would have been nice to hear the same cast but now having matured as actors and having a better grip on the characters because they had the whole show translated properly as context to go off of.

Levonr wrote:
1dbad wrote:
According to this Tweet of Amanda Winn Lee's (Rei's original VA), the new dub has an entirely different cast: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648

I love this news, really want a new take on an Evangelion dub. I'm not a fan of the ADV dub.

Er, I know this isn't your intention most likely but because you've paired it with THAT tweet it reads like "Amanda Winn Lee is heart broken, FANTASTIC NEWS!"
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not interested in listening to a redub of Evangelion in any way.

When I first got into Anime I went through my "Dub" phase.. and even for an ADV dub this show wasn't that bad. I prefer Tiffany Grants version of Asuka compared to the original JP VA primarily because Tiffany has no issues with German.. while the JP VA makes me cringe when I hear her attempts at it.

At this point, I don't watch any new dubs.. they are all just utter garbage.. sorry dub fans.

I'm happy that Eva is getting another chance, but I care more for a Blu-ray release then anything Netfilx wants to throw at a wall.
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Er, I know this isn't your intention most likely but because you've paired it with THAT tweet it reads like "Amanda Winn Lee is heart broken, FANTASTIC NEWS!"

Well its understandable the previous actors are upset. I was only referring to the facts in that tweet about it being recast and its the only news that its a complete recast we got since Netflix never says a damn thing.
I do wonder if it was requested they not return. I believe that is what happened to Berserk 2016 as well, the actors from the 1997 version work at Bang Zoom but were still re-cast anyway and not even told about it. Just seems like sometimes companies want to take a new fresh direction.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

At this point, I don't watch any new dubs.. they are all just utter garbage.. sorry dub fans.

Don't be sorry because that doesn't even make sense. If you don't watch any new dubs then how do you know they are all utter garbage?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

I do wonder if it was requested they not return. I believe that is what happened to Berserk 2016 as well, the actors from the 1997 version work at Bang Zoom but were still re-cast anyway and not even told about it. Just seems like sometimes companies want to take a new fresh direction.

Given the follow up Tweet from Amanda Winn Lee I think you might be right:

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109295549809725448?s=09

Amanda Winn Lee wrote:
They let us audition- AFTER we found out auditions were being held and raised a fuss. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they threw out the files as soon as we left the studio. They never had any intention of involving us.

That being said if a fresh cast was a condition of the licence you think they'd just be honest with the original cast and tell them that rather than waste people's time with auditions they'd never have hope of passing.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
My only sadness with the Eva redub is I feel like Netflix tossed to it to Bang Zoom or similar and they got their usual actors to do it. Which isn't to insult those people, they're plenty talented and I've loved them in many projects, but I liked how Eva's dub stood out from the rest. (And yes, I know that for the time it did not cast-wise, but how many of those shows have stayed as relevant as Eva has?) The Japanese cast is still phenomenal though, so if anyone has discomfort watching Eva with a new English dub, the Japanese version is always there.

Actually in a Tweet that was made in December of 2018 (which unfortunately it's now deleted) it's been confirmed that Bang Zoom! won't be doing the redub of NGE and also the dub is voice directed by a woman.

Levonr wrote:

I'd like to hope that was an experiment that failed and they won't be using that company again after the backlash and having Bang Zoom re-dub it. That mess aside I've been satisfied with the dubs of Netflix.

Actually Bang Zoom! is not doing the NGE Redub.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Have they really redubbed that many, though? SEED was a special case, since the re-edited/upscaled footage for the HD/16:9 version didn't line up with the old dub.

Escaflowne was redubbed for ten minutes of new stuffspoiler[ and given the recent news about Vic makes the thing hilarious looking back given how bad of a miscast that was to begin with], Beyblade Burst's second sequel was moved from Ocean/Blue Water to LA (making it the first non-Canadian Beyblade dub, mid-series at that) SEED was redubbed with zero attempt at all to get any of the old cast back (which is especially odd, given how much of a hit it was in Canada to begin with), Funimation's treatment of Shana (which had problems that Funimation couldn't have done about anything at all) was a mess, Funi's rerelease of the LA Death Note movies are sub only despite a dub existing for them, etc. I'm shocked YuGiOh hasn't been moved up to Canada dub-wise though, given iirc, it had the English TV Premiere of both Arc V and Vrain up here.

The US dub scene might've had issues with stuff like the various different dubs of Akira and the like but man, I don't recall it being this tightly packed together which might actually make it feel bad, more so than usual.

DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

Actually in a Tweet that was made in December of 2018 (which unfortunately it's now deleted) it's been confirmed that Bang Zoom! won't be doing the redub of NGE and also the dub is voice directed by a woman.

Probably VSI if I had to guess.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably never understand what makes 90s Gendo, Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misato such terrible voice acting. I watch some modern anime dubbed... I just don't hear what makes like for example, B The Beginning or Last Exile mindblowing but makes Evangelion a joke that nobody who got into anime after like 2005 could ever stomach listening to.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Escaflowne was redubbed for ten minutes of new stuffspoiler[ and given the recent news about Vic makes the thing hilarious looking back given how bad of a miscast that was to begin with], Beyblade Burst's second sequel was moved from Ocean/Blue Water to LA (making it the first non-Canadian Beyblade dub, mid-series at that) SEED was redubbed with zero attempt at all to get any of the old cast back (which is especially odd, given how much of a hit it was in Canada to begin with), Funimation's treatment of Shana (which had problems that Funimation couldn't have done about anything at all) was a mess, Funi's rerelease of the LA Death Note movies are sub only despite a dub existing for them, etc. I'm shocked YuGiOh hasn't been moved up to Canada dub-wise though, given iirc, it had the English TV Premiere of both Arc V and Vrain up here.

The US dub scene might've had issues with stuff like the various different dubs of Akira and the like but man, I don't recall it being this tightly packed together which might actually make it feel bad, more so than usual.

Can't forget Sailor Moon, or how it's looking like the English dub of Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card will be the only version of the show with 0 cast reprisals from the original series. Then there are reboots like Hunter x Hunter and Saint Seiya, though those casts weren't exactly loved. It's not even exclusive to anime dubs, as we've seen with Resident Evil 2 and recent Transformers shows.

Yu-Gi-Oh! will stay in NYC for the foreseeable future. The distributor (4K Media) has their own production facilities. Even though Canada is the only English-speaking country on this planet that seems to care about the new shows, it doesn't make sense to move. The French dub should probably go to Montreal, but who knows if the franchise even has a future in that language.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

Levonr wrote:

Actually Bang Zoom! is not doing the NGE Redub.

I wasn't talking about Evangelion being dubbed by Bang Zoom there. People believe its VSI Group dubbing Evangelion since apparently other language dubs have been confirmed to use that company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3