• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fruits Basket Creator Explains Why No One Smokes in New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Could the actual setting be the reason for not having the characters smoke? Do we see the smokers only smoke in their offices or in the streets where current regulations might prohibit it, or did they smoke at home as well?
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Already been mentioned, but Conan has characters smoking, though it's been less lately. Kogoro was called a heavy smoker for years (it was even a joke to another character), but for the last few he's rarely ever lit a cigarette. One every few cases.
Anyway Conan airs at 6pm every Saturday on NTV/YTV as a part of an hour family block.
Honestly I think it's just because this is shoujo.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
Already been mentioned, but Conan has characters smoking, though it's been less lately. Kogoro was called a heavy smoker for years (it was even a joke to another character), but for the last few he's rarely ever lit a cigarette. One every few cases.
Anyway Conan airs at 6pm every Saturday on NTV/YTV as a part of an hour family block.
Honestly I think it's just because this is shoujo.

In Banana Fish there were several characters smoking, did not they?

Bem anime character (which will be broadcast on a schedule similar to Fruit Basket in TV Tokyo).

https://newbem.jp/wp/wp-content/themes/bem_ver4/assets/images/character_woods02.jpg

https://newbem.jp/wp/wp-content/themes/bem_ver4/assets/images/character_woods01.jpg

We can see in the picture that he is smoking quietly. Does this regulation only affect bishounen?

Because was this what the author said, regulation.
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, Hatori not smoking anymore does make sense. He's a doctor. He knows what that stuff does to you. Why would he subject himself to that if he knows it's a health hazard?
Because of his trauma.
connysanada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I personally think that this is set in the timeline of the manga (1998), with it being the year of the rabbit.
thebond&thecurse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Could the actual setting be the reason for not having the characters smoke? Do we see the smokers only smoke in their offices or in the streets where current regulations might prohibit it, or did they smoke at home as well?

The only time we see them smoke is in their homes. It's only two characters who are in their mid/late-20s and only in a couple of scenes when they're among themselves while talking.

connysanada wrote:
I personally think that this is set in the timeline of the manga (1998), with it being the year of the rabbit.

They have smartphones, so I don't think so.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
You know, I usually fall into the belief that authors should be able to pick and choose anything when it comes to their own creations...but when the statement "when the work was first made it was a product of its time" is said in a negative way I have to question their integrity as an artist.
It means it was either done for the money, they were ashamed of it, or it was the only way their work would get exposure. Those reasons aren't great but at least factual. Their quote however makes it sound like any artist would do what she did if their art was "out of date" with the times.
Imagine if US media was like that and refused to have any smoking, slavery, or hippy clothing in tv or movies because it shouldn't exist in any modern work now that we've moved past it or don't want to promote it from now on or some crap.
It's just plain censorship.
BTW ACCA, JOJO PART 3, AND ONE PIECE HAS SMOKING. PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT?
Just be honest already. btw isn't jojo a product of its time...(that's its selling point...)
connysanada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 am Reply with quote
thebond&thecurse wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

The only time we see them smoke is in their homes. It's only two characters who are in their mid/late-20s and only in a couple of scenes when they're among themselves while talking.

connysanada wrote:

They have smartphones, so I don't think so.

I guess 1999 or 2011, then.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
None of the other examples provided in this thread are shoujo manga adaptation nor something from Hana to Yume, so it's most likely the magazine's rule.

Fukumenkei Yona has some smoking scene, but the smoker was mostly an old woman and the anime was 4 years ago. I don't recall any smoking in Fukumenkei Noise (2017), granted most of the main cast are still in high school.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
@ connysanada

Smartphones didn't take off in Japan until a couple years later.

Besides, if the show was set in 1998 or 1999, a smoking doctor is believable.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it would be really weird for her to give all the characters smartphones, yet not have people call out their doctor friend at least once an episode for his decision to smoke cigarettes. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief about people turning into animals, but not about how much grief people would be giving him these days. Razz
connysanada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply

I also said 2011. Plus, there have been anime set in our time that have peeps smoking.

Last edited by connysanada on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Those asking "Why does X show still allow it" it really comes down to 3 things:

Time: quite a few thrown out as examples have been around for quite a while, and it would be a sudden change if they did change it.

Gradual change: Japan is only really now doing this, and instead of a hard ban they are phasing it. Its probably why they believe they can do it with Fruits Basket instead of some more recent properties being or about to be adapted.

Artistic choice: In some cases there might be a reason they smoke, in others it might not add to the character so can be easily dropped or adapted when adapting to anime. It took me half a season to realise the mother from Wataten was actually either vaping or had a nicotine replacement rather than a cigarette hanging out her mouth.

I guess also one thing is we are viewing it through a western lens. Things are different in Japan to the US and even here in Australia, and they have different ways of going about things.
connysanada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Still, this is set sometime during the year of the rabbit. And there have been plenty of other anime these days with smokers, so I think so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2