• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Film Reveals May Opening, TV Series Spinoff

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liogfjell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:09 am Reply with quote
there is a black girl in the cast [half Ghanaian half Japanese],
Grace Emma [or Emma Grace? Very Happy]

https://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/news/367577/1334211

https://twitter.com/eizouken_saikyo/status/1229567455401517056/photo/2

[apparently, she's only 14 or 15.]
the other actresses are not *that* much older, come on.
I've seen much worse Very Happy
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Are theose really Black people or just dark skinned Japanese/asian or ganguro (not sure how popular ganguros nowadays)? Most of the time those "black people" in normal Japanese schools are just normal Japanese with too much sun exposures.

The setting for Eizouken takes place sometime in the 2050s, and it's often implied that Japan has become more racially diverse by that point. There are signs written in multiple languages (not just in Japanese but English, Spanish and I think French as well) and you can see students with much darker skin tones than you'd normally see in anime. The student council's secretary is named Sowande Sakaki, and "Sowande" is a Yoruba name (Yoruba is a language spoken by the Yoruba people of west Africa, specifically from Nigeria and Benin). So yeah, it's really not a stretch to say that some of the school's population would be black.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
Are they going to use animation for the various flights-of-fancy that we see in the anime like the dragonfly in episode one? What about the giant robot animations? I'm a bit surprised the write-up in the article didn't mention any of this. Are the live-action producers collaborating with an animation studio?
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah this really is an odd choice. For one thing people who are interested in a show about anime are obviously going to be interested in anime, ergo they'll almost certainly will have watched the actual anime, but the opposite can't be said... It just seem like the audience will inevitably be less than the anime.

On top of that, one of the main draw of the anime is the imagination sequence. It would make no sense to do these in CG, so they'll have to do them in anime form. So they'll be doing a live action of an anime focus story that will already have been adapted in anime form with large segment using anime...

I just don't understand why they'd chose this story out of all possible story to adapt to live action? What's next, a stage play?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
making a live-action adaption of an anime that's about the wonders of animation seems counterintuitive

I mean sure until you realize that animation is created by real breathing people and not other animated people.

meiam wrote:

I just don't understand why they'd chose this story out of all possible story to adapt to live action? What's next, a stage play?

Popular works are more likely to get adapted and this series (or at least the anime) seems to be popular.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Are they going to use animation for the various flights-of-fancy that we see in the anime like the dragonfly in episode one? What about the giant robot animations? I'm a bit surprised the write-up in the article didn't mention any of this. Are the live-action producers collaborating with an animation studio?

Looking at the stills linked above it doesn't seem likely. In one still where they're all wearing camo bags and the helmets they wear when creating with their imagination they're just standing in a real bunker instead of a drawn one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
there is a black girl in the cast [half Ghanaian half Japanese],
Grace Emma [or Emma Grace? Very Happy]

https://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/news/367577/1334211

https://twitter.com/eizouken_saikyo/status/1229567455401517056/photo/2

Credit where credit is due, I stand corrected. I’m glad.

Still, having idols play Midori and Kanamori seems off...
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Aye, that's very cool to see.

This reminded me of some of the comments in this thread: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2020/02/22/keep-your-hands-off-eizouken-04-07-production-notes/
Quote:
Fans all over the world have been picking up those details that mirror Science Saru’s reality, while studio reps like Eunyoung Choi have been very happy to acknowledge them as they’ve started to make the rounds. Among those examples she personally brought to attention, the ones that have received the most attention relate to the multiracial setting; something that was already an understated part of the source material, but that the anime has emphasized to a much higher extent, seemingly for the simple reason that it conforms to the multicultural origins of the studio’s employees.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2