• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 am Reply with quote
Considering the cannon they gave Metal Greymon was from his X antivirus form, I wonder if they are in fact going to make the Miasma secretly the X-program.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of Digimon Adventure's problems could be very easily solved if stuff just. Stopped happening. For like 20 minutes. Have we even had a single breather episode since the Orochimon/Nidhoggmon fiasco? I also have to wonder why the writers decided to extend the hacked ships plot for two more weeks after DoneDevimon was defeated if it wasn't gonna lead anywhere and just got solved with computer magic instead of any Digimon intervention.
Guy Gardner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I feel like a lot of Digimon Adventure's problems could be very easily solved if stuff just. Stopped happening. For like 20 minutes. Have we even had a single breather episode since the Orochimon/Nidhoggmon fiasco? I also have to wonder why the writers decided to extend the hacked ships plot for two more weeks after DoneDevimon was defeated if it wasn't gonna lead anywhere and just got solved with computer magic instead of any Digimon intervention.

Yeah..I think the writers forgot somewhere along the way that Digimon wasn't all about fight scenes...I guess that's why I just liked the last movie so much...it had the right balance of fight scenes and quiet moments between the kids

also, why can't all the digimon talk now?...it was weird hearing Patamon tell us what the Seadramon's growls meant
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
With SkullKnightmon, I actually had a running theory back to something Devimon said when talking to them earlier. I think it was when they had got the egg of Patamon/Angemon, Devimon said something about choosing the darkness or something. Other people interpreted it just as Devimon talking about corrupting Angemon, but my interpretation was that he was actually talking to SkullKnightmon as the one having chosen the darkness, so since then I had been thinking that SkullKnightmon is actually Gatomon, being a holy digimon that chose the dark side. I thought it would be a good explanation of why Hikari would instinctively trust them. But maybe I just don't understand the hard rules either.

I remembered that Gatomon worked with the villains in the original series.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ngl i fell asleep for the Taichi battle portion of this episode so i didn't even see when Wargreymon was referenced again. I'm at this point begging the scriptwriter to please let us have a bleeping break. You don't need 5 battles per episode to keep it interesting. At this point every time a new hostile digimon appears i just roll my eyes. Give these kids some time to breathe for christ's sake!

Speaking of hostile digimon, I don't remember the Digital World being so hostile in the original Adventure. There was a sense of wonder and discovery of a new world to it that this series so far is lacking because every digimon the children encounter is trying to kill them for no reason at all. In the first few episodes at least we had the excuse the Ogermon was controlling them as part of Devimon's plan, but now it's just a constant barrage of attack after attack of unimportant digimon. It's just plain exhausting at this point. We didn't get even a minute of rest to separate the two main arcs before the apocalypse was upon us again.

The hostility of the environment also hinders the children growing to care for the Digital World. In the original, the threats to the real world came in much later in the story, and in the final battle the children were fighting to protect BOTH their own world and the Digital World. But in this series, i can't fathom why these kids would want to protect the Digiworld when all its inhabitants save their respective partners are trying to kill them 100% of the time. The only reason for the kids to remain in the Digiworld are the constant threats to the real world, which are also exhausting at this point. It's just hard to care when there's one crisis after another with no visible consequences or gravitas for any of them except to serve as the plot excuse to keep the protagonists running towards whatever the endgame is.

I really don't know how to describe this show other than "exhausting" at this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
I will have to agree with CrowLia, at least to some extent. At least my partial hope is that the Jou is with in the hotspring is actually not hostile and just enjoys a good hotspring and someone else who also appreciates it.

Although my biggest complaint has been the strange focus it has with Taichi and Yamato (plus partners), it feels like the show has to make them at the center of almost every conflict. They get the best evolution animation, they get the best fights, they get the monster share of focus. Would it be fair to say everyone else is pretty much exposition or comedy? But I also think that despite this Mimi somehow comes across as the most entertaining with Palmon, over every episode having Taichi getting into another fight all the time.

The constant escalation does feel like it is getting out of control, part of my thought has been how evolving just happens when they need it to, with not a lot of explanation of why they would not just do it a lot more often. Which I had an idea that they could have covered this by the more often they do and to how large it is, it would exhaust them and would take time to do so again, giving more time to someone else other than Agumon just going into Greymon or MetalGreymon (also not Gabumon) in every conflict.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote
So we got a Taichi battle episode last week, followed by a Taichi battle episode this week, followed by a Taichi battle episode next week. Jesus christ. Even the sliver of hope i got from seeing Sora's triumphant intervention was immediately snuffed out when, once she completed her momentary role of "giving Taichi encouragement", she and Garudamon proceeded to just... stand there while Taichi got all the action again. Why did Toei decide to bring this show back with the whole cast if they clearly had no intention on using them? Just scrap all the other kids and straightforwardly give us the Taichi show you so clearly wanted to create.

I also can't believe they're dropping Wargreymon so soon. Isn't this show supposed to have like 60+ episodes? How are they gonna increase the stakes if not even halfway through we're already getting full-fledged Mega evolutions? Just what the heck are they doing? I've at this point lost all hope for this series to get better, and it's devastating remembering how good the early episodes were. Where is the direction and script of that first episode that saw all the gang united and working together to break through the fortress, right before the premature Perfect Evolution avalanche came to ruin everything?

I'll admit i didn't watch any Digimon series after Tamers so i don't know a lot about the extended lore, but are there really no Digimon that don't look like dinosaurs/dragons? we've gotten three straight weeks of dinosaur digimon, if they're serving us the same boring Taichi battle every week at least give us some variety in the foes he's fighting?
Kuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
So we got a Taichi battle episode last week, followed by a Taichi battle episode this week, followed by a Taichi battle episode next week. Jesus christ. Even the sliver of hope i got from seeing Sora's triumphant intervention was immediately snuffed out when, once she completed her momentary role of "giving Taichi encouragement", she and Garudamon proceeded to just... stand there while Taichi got all the action again. Why did Toei decide to bring this show back with the whole cast if they clearly had no intention on using them? Just scrap all the other kids and straightforwardly give us the Taichi show you so clearly wanted to create.

I also can't believe they're dropping Wargreymon so soon. Isn't this show supposed to have like 60+ episodes? How are they gonna increase the stakes if not even halfway through we're already getting full-fledged Mega evolutions? Just what the heck are they doing? I've at this point lost all hope for this series to get better, and it's devastating remembering how good the early episodes were. Where is the direction and script of that first episode that saw all the gang united and working together to break through the fortress, right before the premature Perfect Evolution avalanche came to ruin everything?

I'll admit i didn't watch any Digimon series after Tamers so i don't know a lot about the extended lore, but are there really no Digimon that don't look like dinosaurs/dragons? we've gotten three straight weeks of dinosaur digimon, if they're serving us the same boring Taichi battle every week at least give us some variety in the foes he's fighting?

Believe it or not, this was around the time when Megas debuted in the original series; Wargreymon and MetalGarurumon came in Episode 39 of the original and Wargreymon debuts in Episode 30 of this series. So its a nine episode difference.

But yea, this show is...frustrating to say the least; their priories are made pretty clear, but its still pretty disappointing nonetheless.

I expect some...decent animation for Wargreymon, but I'm not expecting much else beyond that.
rhysmorgan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I really want to fully enjoy this show, and it’s got some decent episodes... but it’s just so BLAND and BAD.
There’s basically no character development, nothing but fights. It’s not even remotely on the same level as the original, or even 02. Certainly not comparable to Tamers.
It started with such promise, and I don’t just want to see the original Digimon Adventure all over again... but this has become such a big disappointment.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
rhysmorgan wrote:

It started with such promise, and I don’t just want to see the original Digimon Adventure all over again... but this has become such a big disappointment.

Yeah agreed. What made me most excited for this one early on was that it was taking the characters we knew but writing a completely new and different story for them. It was a very cool idea, and more exciting than just a traced reboot of the original series. But indeed it has become such a major disappointment because this new version of the story consists of nothing but fight after fight after fight with no character development or any fun interactions between the kids. I wish the first episodes hadn't been so good, then maybe the disappointment wouldn't be so depressing too.
rhysmorgan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I wish the first episodes hadn't been so good, then maybe the disappointment wouldn't be so depressing too.

Yep, exactly this. We know it has the potential to be great, but it so so very rarely lives up to it.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I also can't believe they're dropping Wargreymon so soon. Isn't this show supposed to have like 60+ episodes? How are they gonna increase the stakes if not even halfway through we're already getting full-fledged Mega evolutions?

To be fair, each character will probably still get a focus ep to reach Mega like they did for the Ultimates, plus Patamon and Gatomon still need to hit Ultimate as well - so it does somewhat make more sense to have the evolutions start sooner than expected. The Vpet tie-in implies spoiler[alternate Megas for Agumon and Gabumon as well as an alternate Omnimon, while Patamon can surprisingly Digivolve into Pegasusmon while Gatomon also has Magnadramon available.] So as far as Digivolution spectacle, they have potential to pad things out quite a bit for better or worse.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
rhysmorgan wrote:

Yeah agreed. What made me most excited for this one early on was that it was taking the characters we knew but writing a completely new and different story for them. It was a very cool idea, and more exciting than just a traced reboot of the original series. But indeed it has become such a major disappointment because this new version of the story consists of nothing but fight after fight after fight with no character development or any fun interactions between the kids. I wish the first episodes hadn't been so good, then maybe the disappointment wouldn't be so depressing too.

Also agreed. The first three episodes of the original series had more character development than we’ve gotten at this point. They keep fighting and splitting everyone up so they haven’t developed any chemistry. It really showed some promise when we first met Koushiro and we saw how shy he was but how outgoing and friendly Taichi was to him. But we never got anything else like that.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

It really showed some promise when we first met Koushiro and we saw how shy he was but how outgoing and friendly Taichi was to him. But we never got anything else like that.

I remember how that little interaction outside Taichi's apartment made me go "Daaaw" and immediately feel invested in the friendship between those two.

But now it's no longer about the dynamics between the characters, it's just dangerous situation after dangerous situation. And when we do get an emotional scene, it always feels cheap and/or shallow.

The writers need to understand that it's not about the action.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
I can't even blame the show too much because it's exactly what they said what it was going to be I guess. The director mentioned putting an emphasis on the matchups that would happen. But, there had to be a way to make cool fight scenes while also doing ANY character development. Just any. Give us something. Even just a villain that actually makes an impression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9