• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wonder Egg Priority

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was able to confirm that Momoe's last name Sawaki is the same as the teacher who keeps visiting Ai

Ahhh, I was wondering what it was! I couldn't remember his name haha. Oh dear...

I was wondering how people would take the Acca's comments on gender re suicide. Their comments rubbed me the wrong way, but it's hard to tell if the writers are saying it because they agree with it or because they want to show how scummy the Acca's are.

For my part I think Momoe is a cis girl. She's just a very boyish one who is frequently mistaken for a dude. I assume at some part she just naturally took on that role (maybe because of the girl who she's trying to bring back), but that she wishes she could break out and be more girly. She clearly seems to be in pain when people talks about her manliness, which is why Ai calling her a woman was so important. She's very much the "prince" type character except it seems she doesn't really want to, whereas some other prince characters do it on purpose because they enjoy it

meiam wrote:
Also not super comfortable with the girl being sexually assaulted and immediately turning around to profess her love to Momo, was a bit jarring. Reeked of the white knight mentality. Even Games of thrones made fun of that.

My interpretation is that it's like the suspended bridge effect where you start to feel for someone because they saved you. But it also established a trend of girls confessing to Momoe before disappearing. I assume a lot of girls must confess their love to Momoe. Wouldn't be surprised if pretty much every egg girl Momoe has saved has been like "I LOVE YOU!", which just pains Momoe more.

___
Was anyone else surprised YuYu was a dude. Maybe I missed a pronoun reference in the previous ep but I was expecting a girl lol

Last edited by harminia on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Was anyone else surprised YuYu was a dude. Maybe I missed a pronoun reference in the previous ep but I was expecting a girl lol

I was a little. I went back to watch the tail end of episode 3 because I'd mostly forgotten a lot of details about how it ended. The Stalker-Woman-Monster says at some point that "YuYu isn't into little girls, YuYu wants a mature woman!" which made a lot of sense after having seen episode 4.

I'm not sure where they're going with Momoe's gender-presentation.

On second viewing I am wondering whether Momoe is a cis girl, and the girl in Momoe's flashbacks committed suicide (leaping in front of a train, obviously) after having been bullied for being a lesbian, leading Momoe to present as male as a reaction to that --- if Momoe were male, then the girlfriend wouldn't have been bullied into suicide.

Either that, or Momoe was identified male at birth, and longs to be a woman, there's a lot that happens that is consistent with that reading as well, though why not present their preferred gender in the Eggiverse?

I thought Ai waving the penlights-turned-weapons like a concert-goer was an amusing bit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
On second viewing I am wondering whether Momoe is a cis girl, and the girl in Momoe's flashbacks committed suicide (leaping in front of a train, obviously) after having been bullied for being a lesbian, leading Momoe to present as male as a reaction to that --- if Momoe were male, then the girlfriend wouldn't have been bullied into suicide.

That does seem like a better result if true. My otherwise assumption has been that Momoe might not even be a lesbian, was uncomfortable with her friend confessing, and the fallout led to her jumping. I think that it is otherwise meant to be a point that Momoe is uncomfortable with all these girls confessing to her, so her journey would logically be in being able to turn down these feelings that girls are placing on her without somehow making things worse.

Making her still interested in girls would be preferable to not feel like some sort of queer erasure, in the face of her still being a girl despite her looks. I am not sure what to make of the group of girls suddenly talking about how Momoe lacks an Adam's Apple (my take that Momoe is AFAB), and apparently they all find them attractive, kind of weird when I thought at least one of these girls has to be queer. I just recently looked up what the gender flipped version of what an otokonko is in Japanese, apparently called "dansou", and I am not sure what to make of that. But I would normally be in support of a story that was maybe against something like the fetishization of a gender non-conforming person (dansou), just as I have seen pretty recent talks about a trend in the west in certain circles in fetishizing "femboys". I just don't know how well this show might pull something like that off, without maybe some sort of friendly fire against a vulnerable group.

I would at this point just maybe prefer what Stars Align did with gender, it at least broached the subject with a question mark, and did not put prescriptive judgements along the lines of biology, or even binary. It was something that felt like an example that Japan can do things right. What does that mean when Momoe is asking Ai what she looks like and it somewhat be placed in what her biology is?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Men and women suicide really should be treated differently, there's variation from country to country but it usually come down that far more women attempt suicide every year but that far more men die from it on a yearly basis (iirc it's about 3x higher in the us). Treating them the same would be a big public health mistake.

My understanding of the figures goes a bit into method that are used. Women apparently use methods that might come back from such as overdosing, and men use more lethal methods. The reason it might be higher in the US is apparently because that more lethal method is something like guns, they are so readily available that they are really easy for a person who is a bad place to make a snap decision.

I say all of this without making a judgement of why these differences are. A lot of the time a suicide, or an attempt of such, is a call for help, and there should be a system in place to reach out to people before they need to try anything.

meiam wrote:
I'm not a big fan of gender discussion. Everyone understand that label are fluid and not precise things but still grounded in reality. Just think about fruits vs vegetable we all have a more or less an idea of what's a fruits or vegetable, but that might be different from reality/definition (if you ask someone for a fruit salad and they give you a tomato salad you'd be confused but they wouldn't be wrong). But the moment it comes to gender all that common sense fly out the window. I just feel like people who insist that gender are very specific (ie XY chromosome) should realize that this is not a very useful way to define it and might not even line up with what people would widely accept. At the same time, I think people who want to completely re draw the definition should realize people use those label because they're useful and making them into "whatever people want" isn't useful and would just mean abandoning those label altogether.

And I am somewhat for my own reasons. I want to like the analogy of comparing gender to fruits and vegetables, because I understand that there can be a mismatch between what scientific classification might come to basing it on some biological element, and what might be helpful in a more social or practical sense. A tomato might be a fruit based on some scientific classification of its biology, but that might be no help in how a tomato is used, so let tomatoes go to the vegetable washing area. Or whatever this analogy is about.

As an enby, there are elements that I do think that there are elements of gender that do need to be redefined, at least for the allowance of non-binary genders. We are often not even considered an option, and a lack of visibility means that a lot of people that would identity as us and would feel more comfortable, have a hard time learning about it. I do understand the caution about not throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but there is also a long history of little forward movement that might see no progress if the speed is chosen by people not willing to have the discussions in the first place.

meiam wrote:
Also not super comfortable with the girl being sexually assaulted and immediately turning around to profess her love to Momo, was a bit jarring. Reeked of the white knight mentality. Even Games of thrones made fun of that.

I am pretty sure that this is intentional, especially in how Momo seem unhappy playing the part of Momotaro where the girl forces their feelings onto her, and maybe just wants to be Momoe.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was a little. I went back to watch the tail end of episode 3 because I'd mostly forgotten a lot of details about how it ended. The Stalker-Woman-Monster says at some point that "YuYu isn't into little girls, YuYu wants a mature woman!" which made a lot of sense after having seen episode 4.

I thought Ai waving the penlights-turned-weapons like a concert-goer was an amusing bit.

Ah, that does make sense, yeah.

I loved the penlight bit. When her normal weapon wasn't working I was thinking "I hope the egg girls give her penlights" and they did. Her confused and somewhat lacklustre waving of them was so great.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I am not sure what to make of the group of girls suddenly talking about how Momoe lacks an Adam's Apple (my take that Momoe is AFAB), and apparently they all find them attractive, kind of weird when I thought at least one of these girls has to be queer.

I guess it was for the other girls to realise Momoe was a girl and not a guy (seeing as Ai was the only one who realised she was a girl).
Well, you can like aspects of a person's appearance without being sexually attracted to them. They could still be queer, but also appreciate a good adam's apple.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a sneaking suspicion that Momoe is more of a take on the "prince" type girl characters that you often see in shoujo manga of a certain era and occasionally in certain works since, and that people looking for an exploration of queer experiences are going to be disappointed.

On a less serious note, I've noticed that each of the three girls we've seen fight so far seems to have her own catch phrase for finishing off a Wonder Killer. It's probably one of the ways the show's classic magical girl influences shine through.
harminia wrote:

Yeah, it threw me for a loop when I first heard the voice. Looking back at both episodes, though, no one ever actually uses a gendered pronoun when talking about him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The review of episode 4: Ignore the problems of episode 4 by ignoring the structure of episode 4.
Says it all, really.

I'm still assessing my feelings over it but any comparing or contrasting the show did between a girl confronting her molester who ruined her entire family and idol fans comparing their light stick waving is disgusting.

And then there's Momo and that character's association with train molestation and Momo's own first experience... comparing and contrasting... yeah, there are problems. "So there are associations between the girls buying the eggs and the girls in the eggs?" "Seems like it."
So many problems..

And... or is it but? No... And another problem with Momo isn't "White Knighting" but Momo is being used by the show a blank check for gender apologizing. "See? Not all guys are bad." and the girl goes out in a puff of smoke. The act itself is White Knigting but my problem are with the lies behind it.

The girls are dead, do they still have to be lied to? Why does it come off as one male writer apologizing for an entire gender?

One thing we can agree with, I guess: The whole Idol thing was really dumb. The whole thing reeked of that old parental chestnut: "If so and so jumped of a bridge, would you do it?"

And is the conclusion also something being ignored? "Killing yourself to prove how much you love an Idol is OK as long as that loves is great than another fan. No regrets, no doubts, just acceptance... that you really loved that Idol more than another random fan you didn't know."

W
T
F

Quote:

Obviously? The "women only" car, the idea that both girls were assaulted while on trains and the "obvious" connection is Momo's dead friend jumped in front of a train? I thought the obvious conclusion was she was molested on a train... the less obvious one but seems to be inferred by the thematic juxtaposition is that Momo was molesting girls on trains. Like I said, "problems"...

From episode 1, I've been working off the notion that all the girls are unreliable narrators and nothing has yet dissuaded me of thinking as such.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked some element of clarification if those girls had killed themselves to try and prove themselves as true fans, egged on by the type of fan that the monster represented. Like the problem was toxicity in a fanbase that can lead people to do really stupid things, and not standing up that what they did was good. This placed alongside questioning what led the molested girl to kill herself, was it just the man who committed the act and fired her father, or was it things like how her mother did not stand up for her and tried to justify the molestation.

Under these questions it does become curious over what actually creates what the monster will be. If Ai had gotten that girl, could the monster have appeared as her mother, telling her that she should take the abuse and she is responsible for what happened to their family?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

And... or is it but? No... And another problem with Momo isn't "White Knighting" but Momo is being used by the show a blank check for gender apologizing. "See? Not all guys are bad." and the girl goes out in a puff of smoke. The act itself is White Knigting but my problem are with the lies behind it.

The girls are dead, do they still have to be lied to? Why does it come off as one male writer apologizing for an entire gender?

I...I don't think the writing is trying to pull a #NotAllMen, though? I think it's trying to say something about how white knighting is bad (not in that helping women is bad but pushing them aside while you save them *is* bad), but isn't Momoe's whole point is that she is a girl and wants to be seen as a girl regardless of her masculine appearance? I don't think the show has anything at all to say about men thus far, though I expect whatever the show decides to say about the teacher will be it's actual point about men, if it has anything to say about them at all.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
meiam wrote:
Men and women suicide really should be treated differently, there's variation from country to country but it usually come down that far more women attempt suicide every year but that far more men die from it on a yearly basis (iirc it's about 3x higher in the us). Treating them the same would be a big public health mistake.

My understanding of the figures goes a bit into method that are used. Women apparently use methods that might come back from such as overdosing, and men use more lethal methods. The reason it might be higher in the US is apparently because that more lethal method is something like guns, they are so readily available that they are really easy for a person who is a bad place to make a snap decision.

I say all of this without making a judgement of why these differences are. A lot of the time a suicide, or an attempt of such, is a call for help, and there should be a system in place to reach out to people before they need to try anything.

The choice of suicide attempt is dictated by what people are trying to accomplish by committing suicide. People who just want to stop living will pick something that won't fail, people who are looking for help/attention will pick something that will probably fail. So while the difference in death by suicide come down to the means of suicide, those still show strong difference between male suicide and female suicide.

As far as gender, I think the best that can ever be achieved is too have an "etc." category where people just lump everything that doesn't neatly fall in line with male/female. Ultimately the number of peoples that would be in "etc" (obviously wouldn't be called etc but you get the idea) are below 1%, it's going to be hard to get people to learn about a third category when it apply to so few people. if you then start splitting that 1% into even smaller chunk that people fluidly go back and forth you're just going to lose people and they won't even bother learning about the "etc.", just like there are plenty of other classification for plant base aliment outside of "fruit and vegetable" but those are hardly ever used and if you do try to use them you're often met with blank expression.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Quote:
On second viewing I am wondering whether Momoe is a cis girl, and the girl in Momoe's flashbacks committed suicide (leaping in front of a train, obviously) ....

Obviously? The "women only" car, the idea that both girls were assaulted while on trains and the "obvious" connection is Momo's dead friend jumped in front of a train?

Yes, obviously. Because her statue is on the edge of a train platform poised to jump onto the tracks, just as Koito's is poised on the edge of a roof. (I'm not sure what the placement of Rika's lost one represents.)
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Yes, obviously. Because her statue is on the edge of a train platform poised to jump onto the tracks, just as Koito's is poised on the edge of a roof. (I'm not sure what the placement of Rika's lost one represents.)

She died from anorexia so it's either representative of her funeral or of people delivering flowers around her when she was (presumably) in hospital dying.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Momoe is straight

-She was noticeably uncomfortable every time girls confessed to her
-Probably the girl from her flashback killed herself after being rejected
-"Adam's apples are sexy" isn't a lesbian remark to make.

for me it is clear that she wants to be seen as a girl, but due to her appearance she was always perceived as a tomboy who had to fill the role of a white knight (this is not about gender but about looks) she never liked that role, her friend from the flashback forced her to have relations with her, but surely momoe at some point got fed up and rejected her which led to her suicide which would be even more tragic not only are her feelings not mutual, but they never will be
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:29 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Momoe is straight

-She was noticeably uncomfortable every time girls confessed to her
-Probably the girl from her flashback killed herself after being rejected
-"Adam's apples are sexy" isn't a lesbian remark to make.

for me it is clear that she wants to be seen as a girl, but due to her appearance she was always perceived as a tomboy who had to fill the role of a white knight (this is not about gender but about looks) she never liked that role, her friend from the flashback forced her to have relations with her, but surely momoe at some point got fed up and rejected her which led to her suicide which would be even more tragic not only are her feelings not mutual, but they never will be

Yeah, this is my interpretation of the scenes. I'm guessing she dresses 'like a guy' now and uses different pronouns out of her feelings of guilt for her friends' suicide. It's also why she lets the egg girls think she's a boy and fall in love with her
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Just a suggestion, but maybe don't use a term when you don't understand what it means... a "terf" would be more likely to "shame" a person (regardless of sex) for presenting in a "feminine" way — long hair, makeup, fake nails, high heels, etc, which are all physical shackles (impractical, time-consuming, potentially dangerous) and capitalistic stereotypes of femininity that only apply to humans. I say this as a "gender" non-conforming homosexual woman (which apparently makes me a bigot!) who both wanted to be and wanted to be with characters like MGNK's Kashima or Aoi Hana's Yasuko.

To be more on topic, even though I feel like this post may get deleted, not sure how I feel about this anime. It's not boring, but it does bring to mind a lot of different anime... Flip Flappers and PMMM a bit, but also Gleipnir surprisingly??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19