• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Collaboration With CLAMP to Adapt Grimm's Fairy Tales With WIT Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
This looks great. I'm very interested.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I wonder who those three characters in the promo image are supposed to be.

My guess is the two boys are the Grimm brothers. The girl could be some sort of spirit they work with to "collect" their tales. Just my guess though....

That was my thought, too. I'm tentatively excited, but I admit I'd feel better if they'd written it "Grimms' Fairy Tales." Laughing Although with the amount of tinkering Wilhelm did after Jacob's death, I could see an argument being made for the singular "Grimm."
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
But Grimm's Fairy Tales in their original form are ALREADY quite dark. Anyone who's read them knows that. Lots of modern adaptations of their work like to point that out. So Clamp isn't doing anything novel here.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
There was a time I was excited whenever I heard that CLAMP were doing something, but it was a long time ago...
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sounds interesting, I just wish Netflix had nothing to do with it.

Oh, boy... This whole Anti-Netflix bias a lot of anime fans seem to have is getting really old. For starters, without Netflix involvement this project would have never existed in the first place... Rolling Eyes

Oh, boy... and people not letting other people vent, complain and express their opinions because they don't like to hear/read them are getting REALLY old Rolling Eyes
Also, it's not bias when everybody knows Netflix churns out one good anime for every 4 mediocre ones. The same applies for their live-action shows.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I'm not sure why Netflix is getting such a bad rep for producing anime.

Because their binge watch-reliant model of content distribution is horribly regressive for anime. We're going from having simulcasts of stuff to having to wait months for the Japanese broadcast to finish.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Oh, boy... This whole Anti-Netflix bias a lot of anime fans seem to have is getting really old. For starters, without Netflix involvement this project would have never existed in the first place... Rolling Eyes

Oh, boy... and people not letting other people vent, complain and express their opinions because they don't like to hear/read them are getting REALLY old Rolling Eyes
Also, it's not bias when everybody knows Netflix churns out one good anime for every 4 mediocre ones. The same applies for their live-action shows.

Even so, you could say the same for FUNimation and CR or not. I'll say it again, Netflix already gets way more flack than it deserves, so I think it's better to not get overly vitriolic.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I wonder who those three characters in the promo image are supposed to be.

My guess is the two boys are the Grimm brothers. The girl could be some sort of spirit they work with to "collect" their tales. Just my guess though....

That's a good guess.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see CLAMP working on anime again and they're take on the Grimm Fairy Tales.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I doubt that, I really doubt an Anime by Glamp would not be possible without Netflix.

And why is that the main thing Netflix apologist bring up, without Netflix you wouldn't get any good Anime just Otaku trash. First off, all their stuff is for Otaku, just more of an American audience than Japanese. Second off, less than half their "originals" are ever good. For every Devliman Crybaby we get a Eden and Cagaster of an Insect Cage. For every Dragon Pilot or get SAC_2045 and Blame.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Sorry but I had to LOL hard at your comment. You speak as if we only got high quality content from the traditional Japanese TV stations when the reality is that a HUGE chunk of the seasonal anime nowadays is just ultra-generic otaku crap. Anyways, this is going nowhere: Netflix is here to stay and I hope anime fans (or a big, really vocal part of it) just accept that once and for all and just focus on... well, just discussing the series that are suppossed to be discussed in the threads. Is that so hard?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Alestal wrote:
I'm not sure why Netflix is getting such a bad rep for producing anime.

Because their binge watch-reliant model of content distribution is horribly regressive for anime. We're going from having simulcasts of stuff to having to wait months for the Japanese broadcast to finish.

So you're new to anime then? I've gone from daily viewing in syndication to one episode a week on cable channels to binging the whole show on DVD to downloading whole series to... back to one episode a week.

As long as it's good, I don't care how it's delivered.
Except for Crunchyroll, I hate those guys. Other pirate sites were taken down, they were allowed to go legit, that's.... fair. And now they're back to their old ways of dictating how cross licensed shows get streamed, that's... fair.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I doubt that, I really doubt an Anime by Glamp would not be possible without Netflix.

And why is that the main thing Netflix apologist bring up, without Netflix you wouldn't get any good Anime just Otaku trash. First off, all their stuff is for Otaku, just more of an American audience than Japanese. Second off, less than half their "originals" are ever good. For every Devliman Crybaby we get a Eden and Cagaster of an Insect Cage. For every Dragon Pilot or get SAC_2045 and Blame.

But BLAME! was good?
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

As long as it's good, I don't care how it's delivered.
Except for Crunchyroll, I hate those guys. Other pirate sites were taken down, they were allowed to go legit, that's.... fair. And now they're back to their old ways of dictating how cross licensed shows get streamed, that's... fair.

Agreed! There was a time when every show was not available to us in the US. I'm grateful that anime has progressed to where it is. I walk through my local mall and see tons of anime products in several stores.

Also...I used to have to wait for shows to buffer on sites just to watch them in poor resolution...Does anyone else remember those times?! Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This could be fun Smile

Quote:
According to Variety, the anime will introduce a "modern twist" to The Brothers Grimm's Fairy Tales, and it will have elements of the horror and suspense genres.

I guess they're going to stick closer to the original stories since they were already along those lines
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4