• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
A lot of torture this week, though I gotta say, the skit with all the demons becoming kids was probably the cutest the show has been so far. As for the pizzas.....there is such a thing as having too much cheese, having it on the pizza and in the crust is just too much of a good thing.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love this episode and I love the series, and am going to miss when it ends next week.

Hopefully someone can do a comparison with this series and Sleepy Princess in a Demon Castle,in my opinion this show is better, and I love the other series as well.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
That really was one of the big surprises of the season. I had my doubts as to whether the seemingly limited premise would stay fresh for long and yet every episode has been a joy to watch. Lots of fun characters, good and sometimes very unexpected jokes and the whole thing oozes charm (though the kingdom does not seem charming so far). Heck, we ended the season on a isekai skit, which is not something I ever expected out of the show.

Onto season 2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I just wasn't super into this show. I have enjoyed a number of shows that have that one joke, where other people think they will get sick of that joke, but I have thought the variation with the joke was good. But with this show, I actually quickly got sick of the joke, every time it was just the princess saying she wouldn't fall to a torcher, the torcher would be something silly, and she would submit to it, it just couldn't get a laugh out of me.

Granted I think some individuals things were fine, there might have been some individual jokes that got a chuckle or something, but I feel like I would be trying to convince myself that it actually made me enjoy the setting. It was the other jokes too, like I got really sick of the whole demon king thing, where his whole thing was to look menacing but really not be so. The king might have got a chuckle or two at first, but then it just started to feel super lazy. He was like the most boring idea of a demon lord on one side, and the most boring idea of a doting parent on the other side. By boring I especially mean his whole evil chuckle thing, which just felt so low effort. I know he was supposed to be a parody, but it didn't feel like there was much there exciting.

In general I was just not into the setting, which just felt so weird that it went from apparently standard fantasy world established at the start, but then demon land is just modern Japan with a thin layer of people being monsters. Unless I missed something I don't even know why there is a conflict, why are they interrogating the princess when they are just modern day Japan? And every single fantasy thing in the show is undercut by a boring mundane thing that makes it silly to really care.

I wouldn't say there is no hope for something like this show. For one I think the whole serious and yet mundane thing can lend really well to the idea of camp, with camp being something that I have found appreciating more in time. But at least to me it feels like it is just off from reaching that good level of camp: The torturer almost immediately acts subdued when she could play up her tortures same sadistic zeal of a sadistic demoness. The demon lord could actually feel dangerous instead of saying the evil laugh sound effect or not reacting. The Oni girls could feel like actual minions rather than wanting to be friends that they play the part. And the Beastmaster could actually come across as savage before bringing in some cute critter. I actually think the princess might be the closest to being camp in her moments of defiance before giving in, but she still feels too goofy in those moments to actually be effective.

I think that I maybe get it, I think that I really don't like that the show really has to explain everything. No character has to truly come across as the trope that they are parodying, and whenever it maybe gets close the sword has to pretty much explain the joke, generally playing the straight man. Like the audience are not smart enough to understand the funny if someone didn't tell you. It is why I think that I still prefer Sleepy Princess, because it came across much more like it could linger on a joke. I also find more humour in the idea of the helpless princess actually being powerful as opposed to the warrior princess being helpless to silly things. The two are actually kind of inverse of each other.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I'm rating this Very Good mainly because the humour super worked for me and I thought the show had a lot of heart. I felt it took a very limited premise and always found ways to keep it fresh. I'm happy to hear it's getting a second season but I do worry a bit that at some point it might get a bit stale for me. I guess I'll find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3