• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2004 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
"Hold on, I'm falling again. Can you pull on my hair, please?

This has to be the funniest caption I have ever read.
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Wait! It appears that the electrostatic attraction between my wallet and anime suddenly diminished greatly! I wonder what the cause could be... Laughing Of course, I know a couple people who will go into a broke, yet lustful frenzy upon discovering most of these animes. They disturb me.

BTW, I thought the title banner was funny Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
That's a great read. I couldn't stop laughing.

Sounds like a great season......to catch up on some older shows.
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Allow me preface this by saying: I love me some fanservice. Irregardless, it's worth noting that the new season isn't quite as bad as Zac makes it out to be. I'm sure he had a reason for doing so, but it appears that at least three new series that would be of great interest to American anime fans were left out of the guide. I say "of great interest" because all three happen to be based on properties already released in some shape or form over here.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Now, the only SAC I've seen is the very first episode (as I'm waiting on the U.S. release), but from what I've heard, this is more of the same as the first season...which is likely a good thing. The original was very popular last year, and there's a very good chance that it'll earn a lot of mainstream popularity with its Adult Swim airing later this year.

Jubei-chan 2: The Counterattack of Siberia Yagyuu - The second season of the 1999 series that became a bit of a sleeper hit when it was released here by Bandai. I don't normally do raws, but I made it a point to snag this one ASAP because I was so excited about it. And for all intents and purposes, aside from a couple of different voice actors, the show appears to have picked right up where the last left off, retaining much of the original season's style that made it so enjoyable. I'm very much looking forward to fansubs and an eventual U.S. release of this.

Burn-Up Scramble - Okay, this is likely to fall in the "fanservice" category. I don't know, I haven't seen it, but the image that was up on the preview site with its radically different character designs, explosions, soaring cars, and UFO's, seemed to indicate that it might be taking a more goofy, over-the-top, Mezzo-like route. Or maybe it's just a Najica-esque panty-fest. I have no idea.

(I was also going to mention Boboboubo Boubobo's apparent omission, but I realize now that it started airing way back in November...<insert cliche'd rant about 586 fansub groups doing Chrono Crusade, but only one doing Bobobou here>)

Anyways, things aren't quite so bad, as at least GitS and Jubei-chan manage to balance out the number of fanservice shows with some non-fanservice quality. And while they're disqualified from being listed in the guide, it should also be noted that there are some good OVAs coming out, too. Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu FINAL started its release in December, and Hunter x Hunter fans have the second Greed Island OVA to look forward to (which apparently got delayed into March).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell doesn't count, Andrew, Otherwise I'd put the new 'seasons' of Naruto, Inu-Yasha and One Piece on there. It's more of the same.

Jubei-chan I didn't include because I could only find a copy of #3. #1 was constantly corrupt or unavailable.

Burn-up scramble would have only added to the ridiculous fanservice festival that this season is.

I also didn't include the new Gravion sequel or Gokusen, a GTO rip-off. I don't have time to include every single last new show. The guide does not advertise itself as 'complete'.

-Z
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This is the first I have heard of most of these shows too. I'm glad Zac picked some lower profile shows this time (except Mezzo TV, I heard about this months ago).
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ghost in the Shell doesn't count, Andrew, Otherwise I'd put the new 'seasons' of Naruto, Inu-Yasha and One Piece on there. It's more of the same.

Makes sense, although I was under the impression that the new season may have been a new continuity or something...with somewhat different animation and character designs. Of course, that could've just been hearsay. Either way, it walks the line enough to be a candidate for disqualification then.

Zac wrote:
Jubei-chan I didn't include because I could only find a copy of #3. #1 was constantly corrupt or unavailable.

Fair enough, but a shame nonetheless. I imagine there's a lot of people out there who didn't even know a second season was being made, let alone it having started already.

Zac wrote:
Burn-up scramble would have only added to the ridiculous fanservice festival that this season is.

It didn't end up being that much different than the other Burn-Ups, then, I take it?

Zac wrote:
I don't have time to include every single last new show. The guide does not advertise itself as 'complete'.

Nor did I mean to imply that it should be...otherwise I would've mentioned Gokusen, Bedaman, Gravion, Monkey Turn, etc. Only reason I brought those three up was because it seemed they might be of a bit more interest to fans than the other shows that they've never heard of (and aren't likely to watch, either, judging by the responses in this thread). It was just meant be some additional information for those reading the thread, and not a 'correction' for the feature or anything like that. I apologize if it came across that way.
Ventile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Legato 2057 wrote:
This is the first I have heard of most of these shows too. I'm glad Zac picked some lower profile shows this time (except Mezzo TV, I heard about this months ago).

The thing is, the shows Zac picked are 90% of the animes being broadcast so far so there isn't much else to choose from. I'm watching all of the shows Zac reviewed as well, except for a few shows that were fansubbed by a certain fansub group with the ability to create even the most basic of basic love stories into a mind-boggling complot because of the 'quality' subtitles. And I agree with Zac on the most part, except for Mezzo TV, which is nice, but not quite as good as the OVA (and no I'm not talking about the fact that they left out the hentai this time around)
I still have hope for Daphne though, the outfits of the Neres agents are indeed on the borderline (gotta love those thongs Wink)
but I think the story has a good chance of turning out allright imho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2