• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Creators Confirmed to Launch Bakuman Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm so stoked. I don't want it to be like Death Note. I'd like it to be somthing totally differant, but still really good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
And let's hope, they don't rip off again some old manga Wink

Wow...I just found out about that now, the idea of "killing people with a note book" having been done before kinda threw me off a little. Death Note's still good, maybe it was just a coincidence. Still...it sucks that the idea of a killer notebook [in which the whole Death Note story revolves around in ] has been originally thought of by Shigeru Mizuki prior to Death Note's debut.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...I wonder if we'll see a lot of Bakaman puns in this manga to make fun of Bakuman showing that Bakuman is a total idiot?

But I'll take a look at this manga and see what it is capable of. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being rife with fanservice. Wasn't Ohba and Obata's previous works rife with fanservice before they did Death Note? Confused
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank you,whoever answered my prayers! Very Happy

I've been waiting for another Ohba/Obata collaberation! Woo!

Honestly, I don't really care that much if it's like Death Note or not.

I am really,REALLY looking forward to this. Very Happy

But I wonder,will this be as popular as Death Note..?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I may have to give this one a try when the first scanalation chapter releases. From the sound of things I wonder if it's going to be more along the lines of what a good shounen series is supposed to be (and no, I don't mean what most of you would think I'm talking about.... Rolling Eyes ). Which that right there, as much as I loved Death Note, makes me think I'll probably like this better already. Basically, simply put, knowing what they're capable of I'd like to see them apply it moreso to a series like this.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. I was just thinking about how much I missed Death Note, and wondering if Ooba and Obata were going to collaborate again. Yay!!!! Yeah, I hope it's not like Death Note, but has the same artistic and writing quality. It kinda sounds like an over-the-top shonen, like Gurren Lagann. I can't wait for the 11th. =D
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling we may see recycled versions of Light Yagami and L in this manga?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Hmmm...I wonder if we'll see a lot of Bakaman puns in this manga to make fun of Bakuman showing that Bakuman is a total idiot?

But I'll take a look at this manga and see what it is capable of. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being rife with fanservice. Wasn't Ohba and Obata's previous works rife with fanservice before they did Death Note? Confused

I don't know about Ohba, but I lost respect for Obata with the Blue Dragon manga... which was pretty much all fanservice and no plot. It was Ohba's story that made me love Death Note.

Anyway, I'll definitely be picking this one up from the combini next week.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Many Jump mangakas that have an extremely popular series often don't recreate that success with their next series

*cough*WATSUKI*cough*cough*
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to read this new manga.
I don't expect it to be like Death Note plot-wise... actually, I expect it to be better since after (let's say it this way to not spoil anything to the alines who could still not know DN plot) the first half of the series I lost interested in the story.

What I don't expect, though, is a new character that will be greater than L... that isn't possible! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
championferret wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
.. it's Ohba who has something to prove (that he's not a one hit wonder.

Ohba's a she. Smile

Ohba's gender has never been identified. There was a fan translation that picked a gender at random, but prevailing theories suggest Ohba is a pen name for Hiroshi Gamo.

Really? I remember reading 'she' somewhere, but not in a scanlation. (I cant actually think whereabouts in a scanlation it would say...)
In any case, her/his self-potrait looked rather feminine to me.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm looking forward to this. Even though I'm more of a fan of the Death Note anime than the manga, seeing as how Ohba decided to throw in some half-baked concept in the final chapter. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Really? I remember reading 'she' somewhere, but not in a scanlation. (I can't actually think whereabouts in a scanlation it would say...)
In any case, her/his self-potrait looked rather feminine to me.
I just found this interview which quotes Tsugumi Ohba as being a female. However I find that unlikely (the possibility of her being a woman) considering how stereotyped and weak are most of the female characters she created (excepting perhaps Misora Naomi).

Are you talking about this portrait?
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
SaraFilipa wrote:
However I find that unlikely (the possibility of her being a woman) considering how stereotyped and weak are most of the female characters she created (excepting perhaps Misora Naomi).

You haven't read many smutty shoujo manga by authors of the Shinjou Mayu school, have you. From what I've read of Death Note, the author obviously didn't really care about the female characters enough to develop them more than it was absolutely necessary.
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
You haven't read many smutty shoujo manga by authors of the Shinjou Mayu school, have you. From what I've read of Death Note, the author obviously didn't really care about the female characters enough to develop them more than it was absolutely necessary.
No, and I have no idea about what you are talking about. Shocked Razz I barely get any manga at all around here (besides the obvious stuff like Naruto, Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin), and I hate downloading stuff nor have the money to import it, so I'll remain clueless for the rest of my life. Shocked Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3