• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Removes Moribito from Weekend Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
To try to kill off repeated questions in advance, no, no one knows exactly why this move was made, nor has [as] made any sort of announcement about it as of yet. Those of us who are (increasingly disgruntled) denizens of their forums will try to keep the general populace notified if anything comes up.
Good luck with that mate. Last time I was there it seemed CN took no notice of any of their forums. You'll just be shouting in a room with no windows and door.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Moved to 4:30 am after the very first episode aired = proof that [AS] WANTED Moribito to fail.

Fixed

Apparently, the reason it was axed was because there were no further dubbed episodes forthcoming. That almost makes canceling it justifiable (they could have aired subs). Moving the show to that certain-death time slot proves their malicious intent.

It was 5:30 for me, being in EST.

There's no way in hell [AS] could ever air subs. First, dubs get higher ratings. Second, Turner's broadcast equipment can't run the SAP text channel.
spoon89

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
it is unfortunate, moribito is not a show to be missed.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
Moved to 4:30 am after the very first episode aired = proof that [AS] WANTED Moribito to fail.

Fixed

Apparently, the reason it was axed was because there were no further dubbed episodes forthcoming. That almost makes canceling it justifiable (they could have aired subs). Moving the show to that certain-death time slot proves their malicious intent.

Actually, the dub was finished (ANIME TODAY podcast, ep #77). It's a licensing issue. Therefore subs are affected as well as dubs. Besides, [adult swim] hasn't aired anything subbed IIRC.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
This is precisely why god in her infinite wisdom invented fansubs (of course, said fansubs also say to support the producers by buying the product when it's licensed in the viewer's region/country).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
John Sirabella wrote:
If they can work it out, then we will be happy to do the work so it can get the remaining episodes on TV. Otherwise, we will handle the DVD distribution.

That's great and all, but the fact that next DVD in line has yet to be solicited(given a street date), is reason for concern. Let's face it, things are usually solicited much more advance than twenty days or so. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:

Fixed

It was 5:30 for me, being in EST.

There's no way in hell [AS] could ever air subs. First, dubs get higher ratings. Second, Turner's broadcast equipment can't run the SAP text channel.
Oops! You're right - 5:30 am - still not a time you air a show you expect to do well. They could do subs if they wanted. It wouldn't be hard for them to embed the subs in the video so that there wouldn't be a SAP channel. I was going to say that they have too aired dubs when they did a Myazaki marathon, but I think that that was A&E.

As others have pointed out, we don't really know why it was canceled since no one at AS has bothered to tell anybody. Heck, we don't even know if this is permanent. This is just another indicator of AS's contempt for anime and it's fans. Whatever the reason, I'm sure that cash is at the root of it. However the powers-that-be at AS feel about anime they are not going to let it stand in the way of their making a buck.

I really pity people who only have Adult Swim as their source for anime. Only one night has any anime, you have to stay up literally all night to see it and only two of the shows aren't old, old news.
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I still can't figure out if the rest of the dvds are going to be released (with English dub). Some people act/talk like they are and some don't and the explanation from the gentleman from the distributor wasn't very clear. So, is it going to be released in its entirety or not on dvds?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
John Sirabella wrote:
If they can work it out, then we will be happy to do the work so it can get the remaining episodes on TV. Otherwise, we will handle the DVD distribution.

That's great and all, but the fact that next DVD in line has yet to be solicited(given a street date), is reason for concern. Let's face it, things are usually solicited much more advance than twenty days or so. Confused

I'm going to be very upset if the series isn't fully released on DVD. I was really interested in the show and planned on picking it up once the full series was out, but I was worried about the very slow release schedule, and I'll be pissed if I don't get to see the show now because of horrible mismanagement issues.
herbkir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how retail channels are crumbling as store chains cut back or go out of business altogether, further DVD releases of Moribito likely will be slow in coming.

Sirabella himself indicated as much in a post in the AnimeonDVD forums. He said they are evaluating the timing of further releases but indicated Blasters does intend to release the whole series on DVD.

The licensing quarrel between Adult Swim and Moribito's owners is indicative of the hard times for entertainment products in today's declining economy. Every dollar, yen, pound and euro is precious whether you are the seller or the buyer.

A copyright fight between Fox and Warner almost smothered the March release of the Watchmen movie (the companies settled Friday). I expect to see a lot more of this kind of thing in future. (^_*)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:
I still can't figure out if the rest of the dvds are going to be released (with English dub). Some people act/talk like they are and some don't and the explanation from the gentleman from the distributor wasn't very clear. So, is it going to be released in its entirety or not on dvds?

I am not so much concerned about them not being released(w/ dub), as I am that they will be brought to a crawl. I know the situation is different, but just looking at myself, how many series have literally taken years to collect due to the Geneon and ADV debacle? Lots. And, well, I'm just sick of it. So even the hint of yet another prolonged release just kind of ticks me off, you know?

Why would they delay the release, lots of reasons really, as some have pointed out with retailers and the like. But another possibility is they will wait as long as possible to try to wait and see if it will get back on TV, and then start a release schedule that would fit a one episode a week airing. Question is, how long will they wait?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Elfen Noir wrote:

I am not so much concerned about them not being released(w/ dub), as I am that they will be brought to a crawl. I know the situation is different, but just looking at myself, how many series have literally taken years to collect due to the Geneon and ADV debacle? Lots. And, well, I'm just sick of it. So even the hint of yet another prolonged release just kind of ticks me off, you know?

Why would they delay the release, lots of reasons really, as some have pointed out with retailers and the like. But another possibility is they will wait as long as possible to try to wait and see if it will get back on TV, and then start a release schedule that would fit a one episode a week airing. Question is, how long will they wait?

And yet, despite the ridiculous waits between volumes, Bandai and a few other companies STILL continue the outdated and aggravating formula of SLOOOOOWLY releasing single volumes 2, 3, or more months apart, leaving people to wonder why they even bother collecting a series anymore at that point.

seriously, WHY won't Japanese companies concede that there is more wisdom in doing half- or full-season boxed sets than prolonging a release? They have the brilliant business model of 2 episodes a disc, with no extras, for $70 going on still. When are the companies on the other side of the ocean going to learn that we're getting fed up with the "one DVD here and there" practice?
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
And yet, despite the ridiculous waits between volumes, Bandai and a few other companies STILL continue the outdated and aggravating formula of SLOOOOOWLY releasing single volumes 2, 3, or more months apart, leaving people to wonder why they even bother collecting a series anymore at that point.

seriously, WHY won't Japanese companies concede that there is more wisdom in doing half- or full-season boxed sets than prolonging a release? They have the brilliant business model of 2 episodes a disc, with no extras, for $70 going on still. When are the companies on the other side of the ocean going to learn that we're getting fed up with the "one DVD here and there" practice?

That's what I want to know--why the elevens can't open their goddamn eyes and abolish this criminal practice of single discs in a box set world. What do they think is going to happen?

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Sony to release season 2 of Blood+, and they've been dragging their asses with it. (I already have the season 1 box set--why the hell should I buy single discs when I can get vols. 1-5 and a bonus disc all in one shot?) Bandai needs to take a lesson from FUNimation and switch to doing half-season and full-season box sets right out the gate, as does everyone else. It just takes one company to make everyone else take notice.
ashfire32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I have been on the Adult Swim forums and they keep saying that those that like Anime are not watching the provided Anime and so the ratings are lower than what William Street provides for Adult Swim and the regular Cartoon Network viewers. Those that complain get mocked by someone who acts as the moderator.
Cartoon Network is not making money on Anime they say and William Street is. Now they are showing shows that have been on FOX like King of the Hill, Family Guy and American Dad.
CN/AS have to pay to get show Anime and William Street is part of the network and for them making sells of DVDs and other products.
I would love to see a separate Anime channel connected to CN or Sci Fi channel show more anime.
I can't get the Funmation Channel in my area unless I change from Comcast to Verizon.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ashfire32 wrote:
I have been on the Adult Swim forums and they keep saying that those that like Anime are not watching the provided Anime and so the ratings are lower than what William Street provides for Adult Swim and the regular Cartoon Network viewers. Those that complain get mocked by someone who acts as the moderator.

That's not really how it works around there at all, other than a few sky-is-falling naysayers. And I've never seen one of the moderators flat-out mock someone for stating an informed opinion...though there are certainly plenty of uninformed opinions well-deserving of mockery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10