• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
You're missing the point again. I'm asking about the actual effect of scanslation. I already know that it's illegal.People that read a scanslation generally aren't going to do it more than once, most people prefer print format. So it effectively comes down to playing a role similar to that of browsing in a store.
What about titles that never will get licensed? If you think that the number of anime out that there that will never see a license is big, the number of manga is ginormous o,o
B.S. If you're just browsing the intellectual property like some kind of preview, then why gone all the way by stealing the entire release of every single title? Do you see movie preview in theaters or on DVD that shows the whole movie? So why killing the audiences' incentive on buying the legitimate licensed medias, by saturating the media market with the illegal duplications of the exact same things?
babbo wrote:
Why not blame the Japanese companies who sell the licenses? Funi and co. have no control on how the animation studios get screwed. In the first place, Japanese companies have been doing their best to screw over R1 companies with exorbitant licensing fees as well.
Even more B.S. The international copyright law granted the original creators the sole rights to do whatever they want with their intellectual properties, while at the same time requested the people within the jurisdiction to respect the copyright holders with their decisions on what to do with their properties. Just what are you referring to as being "exorbitant," when the anime copyrights holders have every right to do with something that they rightfully owned? Do you even know just exactly how much is this "exorbitant" licensing fee that you're referring to really cost?
dragoneyes001 wrote:
ok why is there always one person too dense to understand that when distributors buy up the rights to a product the original makers are left out of the profits!

yes the distribution companies force the industry to produce cheaper product or not get distributed which means no jobs so they work for less which means the animators get screwed.

yes the industry makes billions of yen try taking the time to understand how little of that actually goes to the animators.
Then show us the undeniable truth that's supporting your claim. Because I can only see even the distributors are suffering from fansub community stealing ad supported intellectual properties.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
babbo wrote:
You're missing the point again. I'm asking about the actual effect of scanslation. I already know that it's illegal.People that read a scanslation generally aren't going to do it more than once, most people prefer print format. So it effectively comes down to playing a role similar to that of browsing in a store.
What about titles that never will get licensed? If you think that the number of anime out that there that will never see a license is big, the number of manga is ginormous o,o
B.S. If you're just browsing the intellectual property like some kind of preview, then why gone all the way by stealing the entire release of every single title? Do you see movie preview in theaters or on DVD that shows the whole movie? So why killing the audiences' incentive on buying the legitimate licensed medias, by saturating the media market with the illegal duplications of the exact same things?
babbo wrote:
Why not blame the Japanese companies who sell the licenses? Funi and co. have no control on how the animation studios get screwed. In the first place, Japanese companies have been doing their best to screw over R1 companies with exorbitant licensing fees as well.
Even more B.S. The international copyright law granted the original creators the sole rights to do whatever they want with their intellectual properties, while at the same time requested the people within the jurisdiction to respect the copyright holders with their decisions on what to do with their properties. Just what are you referring to as being "exorbitant," when the anime copyrights holders have every right to do with something that they rightfully owned? Do you even know just exactly how much is this "exorbitant" licensing fee that you're referring to really cost?
dragoneyes001 wrote:
ok why is there always one person too dense to understand that when distributors buy up the rights to a product the original makers are left out of the profits!

yes the distribution companies force the industry to produce cheaper product or not get distributed which means no jobs so they work for less which means the animators get screwed.

yes the industry makes billions of yen try taking the time to understand how little of that actually goes to the animators.
Then show us the undeniable truth that's supporting your claim. Because I can only see even the distributors are suffering from fansub community stealing ad supported intellectual properties.

did you even read the article? probably not eh?

Quote:
"You've got to really love animation to be in this trade," said Takeo Ide, chief animator for the popular television series "One Piece."

Ide recalled how he used to make ¥70,000 a month in his rookie years, sharing a cheap apartment to get by before being assigned to draw the more pricey key frames — drawings that define the starting and ending points of movements.

Ide's is a success story in an occupation that, according to a study conducted by the Japan Council of Performers' Organization, has an appalling turnover rate of 80 percent.

The study revealed that a single cel on average earns animators a meager ¥186.9. Considering how a grunt worker has to fill in 500 in-between cels per month for a television animation series, this means a monthly wage of ¥94,000 at best — for an average of 250 hours of work — until an artist gets to handle key frames or storyboards.

With an estimated 90 percent of in-betweens being outsourced overseas — a result of the industry trying to squeeze out more content than it can from domestic hands — there are also concerns that opportunities to nurture future generations of quality animators are being lost.

"Drawing in-between cels is hard work and it sure doesn't pay much, but it's still an important skill that every animator should learn," said Masayuki Kawachi, president of the All-Toei Labor Union.

Kawachi, who handles special effects at Toei Animation Studio, said that in the current situation, most of such work is done in countries like China and the Philippines.

your so busy crying that DVD sales are off because of fansubs you don't notice its the distributors who lose the money not the animators yes the distributors do in fact pay the animation companies so their loss will be the animators in the end BUT before you get all full of yourself with this little tid bit its those same distributors who have forced those very same animation companies to produce cheaper and cheaper products so the distributors can see a better profit.(we'll pay this much for that project! don't like it fine we'll buy someone else's work instead!) so even if sales for the DVD's went up 100% the animating companies would still have only received the original payment for their work while the distributors make a killing.

it'll take a group of animation houses getting together and creating their own distribution via web streaming while retaining their own licenses for their work to turn around the profit range for the actual animators and if that kills companies like ADV while increasing the amount of animators producing more product and getting better pay for it I'm all for it. I'm sick of putting my money in the pockets of the corporate heads who don't produce the art while those that do make the anime we love are being starved into quitting what they love to do.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
I seriously think that it would do the site some good to LOCK THIS THREAD. It has the same stuff being said over and over again. People are throwing insults at each other and conversation really isn't going anywhere.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
LordRedHand wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

And in the last phrase of your last sentence lies the problem. They're potential profits that won't be realised for the vast majority of series because very few series that air in Japan actually get licensed outside Japan. The profit potential for these series is as they air and maybe a little while after the series finishes. After that, it's gone for most of them, because the DVD companies won't buy them and people will have moved on to other series and interests. Those potential profits are forever lost.

In part true, but fansubs and free raws contribute as well. Because why would a distributor release a DVD when they feel that the market for the series has been saturated to the point that it is no longer profitable? Fansubs either fulfill totally or speed up that process of reaching a saturation point. So in one aspect fansubs are now doing the reverse of what they intend, they are making it so that some series will less likely come over here than if they didn't fansub it at all.

For some series perhaps, but for a lot of series, no. They're of genres that would almost certainly never be licensed on speculation because their perceived market appeal from a business perspective would be minimal. A prime example is Maria-sama ga Miteru. Do you really think a slice-of-life drama series set in a Catholic girls' school with strong shojou-ai subtext would have been picked up in a world where nobody outside of Japan had seen it? It almost certainly only got licensed because of campaigning by fans who had seen the show through fansubs. Four years after the first series aired, the two TV and one OVA season that had been produced to that point were licensed, and there was enough positive results out of that for Nozomi entertainment to license the fourth season while it was still airing in Japan. I'm sure people could name other licensed series which there's a significant chance wouldn't have been acquired for DVD release in R1 without the campaigning of fansub-watching fans.

Meanwhile, there are options for companies as far as licences go if they were to adopt streaming/downloads of currently-airing series. If there's a series they think will sell, they can license it before the series starts (like Geneon did with Fate/Stay Night and Shakugan no Shana) and then offer it as it airs either in a limited quality or charging for a high or DVD quality download-to-own (very similar to the current Crunchyroll model). They could use this to generate a reasonable set of estimates as to what might be popular enough to sell on DVD.

Irrespective of whether the series were available online legitimately, online illegally, or not available online at all, all title acquisition decisions carry an inherent level of judgement and risk. The difference is, with the right business model in place, they can make money out of series they wouldn't entertain the idea of investing in DVD production of. Without that legitimate avenue of fans sampling or watching when they want to, combined with no action being taken to stop illegal distribution, their potential to make money from this section of the market is zero.

This is why the companies should have gotten their act together a long time ago. If they'd seen the market potential for near-to-air streaming of a wide variety of series airing in Japan at the time four or five years ago or more, done something about it, and then done something about the illegal supply of raws and fansubs, then there's a good chance the mentality of "I want my anime for free now" wouldn't have spread anywhere near as much as it has, the article wouldn't contain the remarks about fansubs, and we wouldn't be having this debate month-in, month-out. Instead, attitudes like "we're entitled to free anime" have been left to flourish, spread, and ingrain into more and more people to the point where they believe it to be normal and acceptable behaviour.

DomFortress wrote:
We can all sit around with our asses on our hands, while whine and complain about unreasonable demands like "I want my instant self-gratification without paying anything because I'm just too damn lazy to do just about anything legally". Then hop onto the internet and pirate the whole dying anime industry for all its worth until the fat lady sings. That is the collectively selfish mentality in the fansub community, which is dragging the anime community down to extinction.

You don't call a destructive tendency like stealing as some sort of market in business term, you call it piracy.

That's an acurate point. But you don't call some businessman knowing that someone's stealing from him and spending the better part of a decade not doing anything to stop it a business term either. You call it (or them) stupid (not to mention broke). And the anime industry is just as guilty of not effectively protecting their product as fansub downloaders are of stealing it. The industry are just as guilty of sitting around with their "asses on their hands" as anyone else. Ultimately, while fans have a responsibility to do the right thing by the industry, the industry has a responsiblity to take adequate measures to protect its assets.

fighterholic wrote:
I seriously think that it would do the site some good to LOCK THIS THREAD. It has the same stuff being said over and over again. People are throwing insults at each other and conversation really isn't going anywhere.

There are some of us still trying to civilly discuss this issue. I'm sure Zac will lock the thread when he sees the need to.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
Such anger, such vitriol, such hostility. Why is it that things sometimes seem to start off civil enough but devolve into anger and name-calling and petty arguing? Man, I know this subject causes a lot of touchy topics to come up, but I don't get why people have to resort to such infantile methods of getting their point across...

Regardless, this is how I see it.

The buyers who do not download (this group includes me, obviously) believe that fansubs are a very large part of the problem, realizing that it is not the only thing hurting the industry but that it is not helping.

The downloader-buyers -- some seem to believe that as long as they buy everything they download (or so they claim), it's going to negate the fact they watched a fansub. Others only buy occasionally and make excuses for not buying everything.

Leeches don't care about the industry whatsoever, they just want their free Asian cartoons and they want them now. They're the worst group by far.

Some fansubbers -- at least the ones I've read comments from -- seem to try to minimize or justify the impact of their actions by trying to say they aren't as big a negative on the industry as the first group thinks, etc. I'm not saying this applies to ALL fansubbers, mind, but this is based on what I've seen here.

So really, all groups have their talking points (except leeches, who have no intrinsic value to any kind of conversation on this topic, or to the industry at large) but no one wants to compromise.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

No. simply no. There is not single scanslation group out there that releases in pdf format; it's not worth the effort. More often than not they are already having to clean up poor quality scans from the Japanese originals (the main reason why scanslation is rarely the same quality as legit releases) and translate and type set them. There are whole databases sites that list groups who scanslate titles. I can say with confidence that there truly aren't any scanslation groups that put out pdfs. It's mostly zips with .jpgs/.pngs. Anyone that says otherwise has literally no idea what they're talking about.

Yes I couldn't spend more than 2 minutes finding a site that has PDF downloads, like you couldn't do. And who said anything about scanlation group not doing it, for if you have file you can convert and re-upload as a different type of media format, so while the scanlation groups you are familiar with might not, there are those wil take their work and distribute is as a PDF. You speak of quality but the fansub/scanlation community has kinda put in a word for it, they don't care about quality, they just want to consume it and will do anything to justify their habit.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I have a question to pose to those who use the "I want to support the industry directly" excuse for not buying as many shows on DVDs as they could be: do you really think this is a valid, noble cause? Most of you can't support the industry in this fashion unless you buy the R2s from amazon.co.jp, and as has been hammered home many many many many many many MANY times, you get a much lower episode count, fewer extras, and a higher price tag (closer to the average video game or hell, what you'd pay for an R1 boxed set with a full series), and if you don't know a lick of Moon lingo, tough luck, because they usually don't put English subs on the R2s. Or do you think you're supporting them more by buying the imported figures, statues, etc.? Even those don't give the entire amount of money back to the original toy makers, because, surprise surprise, there's often a middleman (an importer) who gets most of the money you put towards it.

So do you really think that watching fansubs and "sticking it to the man" by not buying R1s is HELPING the industry?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the pdf files but even if they exist, I wouldn't bother with them. Something about owning a decent print copy in my hands that won't disappear if my computer crashes really appeals to me. I currently only read one manga scanalation which is Vampire Knight. I love the story so much I had to read ahead but I support the legal English release version as well. I buy all the volumes and follow the story in Shojo Beat too. So I support the series with my money, not once but twice. And yeah, fan translations are generally inferior, imho. Not if Viz would just hurry up and license the anime, I could legally support that too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I googled Naruto. On the first page, I found a place to download Shippuden fansubs, even though legal means now exist. So much for the "fansubbers are just filling in holes" argument. Sadly, there are more than a few fansubbers who really do believe that their version is superior to any official and legal one. Ultimately, the choice fans have is to either support the legal means that actually generate revenue for the companies or reject them and eventually see anime production drop substantially.

It's an inevitable reality. When there is less money to be made, fewer people will do the work to make it. Look at all the layoffs happening globally. When a company's profits drop, they cut back on production and staff. The anime companies are generally so small that any reduction can potentially kill them so most have done everything in their power to keep going at the same level. Now, that's starting to catch up to them.

You can blame the current economic crisis but fansubs have been around long before the current situation. When digital fansubs became the norm and technology allowed them to be very high quality, that was when they became a serious threat to anime producers.

It's taken a long time for the Japanese to accept that new methods have to tried to turn a profit on anime but here is a fact: right now, digital downloads and streams and ad-supported content can't come close to replacing DVD sales. For a merchandise driven model, that's not a big deal but for most shows that aren't heavily merchandised, it is a fatal situation. All fans can do is at least provide the numbers for legal streams and downloads that might help to boost the advertising value.

I do believe that fans who outright reject legal means of anime distribution should be rejected. If fans want more anime, then they must put money into the system or buy the equipment to make your own anime like Shinkai. (Have fun spending months and years of your life so people can download your creations for free.)

Does it really not compute that less profit equals less product?
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
So really, all groups have their talking points (except leeches, who have no intrinsic value to any kind of conversation on this topic, or to the industry at large) but no one wants to compromise.
Remember what I promised you when I started all of this?
Quote:
Hey there, Unit 03.5-ish. I though you might use some help to breakthrough samuelp's delusional fantasy, so here I go.
And the method I choose to do so is by subjecting the incentive of the fansub community's collective mentality, through a system of reasoning called inductive logic. When voice actor Greg Ayres started his fansub panel years ago, he was trying too hard to counter the various unreasonable demands from the fansub community using deductive logic, and the end result is just like he admitted in his panel; an informative, but long and boring lecture on economic. This gave the fansub community a chance to use economic recession as an excuse, to counter everything Greg had said in his panel.. Even though they don't know the meaning of the word "recession" themselves, because of their incentive which propels their collective mentality is preventing them from doing so.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I seriously think that it would do the site some good to LOCK THIS THREAD.

I agree. I wish we could talk about hot-button issues without resorting to throwing mud like a bunch of 3-year-olds. I've kept this thread open until now in the hopes that some sort of salvageable discussion could take place, but I guess that's too much to expect from the internet.

In the future, to keep threads like this open, we need more posts like this and less like this. And some of you (I hope you know who you are, at this point) are skating on very thin ice right now. Please be more courteous to others or there will be consequences.

Locked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12