• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Queen's Blade's 2nd Season Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
muppsatan wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yeah. Kanokon was at least funny.

Yeah because lots of loli characters wanting to rape a 8 year old boy or whatever is obviously superior to Queens Blade?

In terms of comedy, yes, since Queen's Blade didn't bother trying for humor and just went straight for the boobs.

Also, I recall one loli character trying to rape Kouta, not lots. The other characters trying to get in his pants were: the ridiculously busty lead character, the ridiculously busty lead character's even bustier mother (who was around for 2 or three episodes, tops). That gives us a grand total of three.
DPX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll include some Rebellion characters in the new season. Wouldn't mind some Annelote, or Milim! Very Happy

Though I wonder if Vante and Yuito would make it. As their books don't officially come out til Aug...

Oh, I apologize for being on topic Wink

Last edited by DPX on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the relevant clips, and it all looks rather enjoyable, albeit ephemerally so. Of course, by saying this I admittedly fall for the bait and allow the sacrifice of some of anime's credibility as a medium.
Postulating that the aforementioned Sturgeon's Law is indeed universal however, for me to feel frustrated over the continuation of silly labours like this wouldn't be a productive thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luckyxmas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I know, I know, I was exaggerating to make a point. All I mean is that it's one thing to say "Don't be so harsh on otaku culture without trying to understand it," and "Don't judge other cultures evah!" I think we've got a right to criticize the unrealistic image of women these sort of shows perpetuate, not to mention concerns that an increase in otaku-oriented anime will drive it further and further from mainstream media in Japan into the deeper into recesses of late-night adult content.

Of course you're free to criticize, but there shouldn't be any expectation that anime should portray a realistic image of women, or more specifically in this case, shy away from presenting sexualised portrayals of women (and likewise for men, were there ever the demand for a beefcake anime).
Unless you're some kind of recluse and never talk to women, you're not going to base your view of an entire gender on some fantasy ecchi anime.

An increase in otaku-centric anime might drive it further from the mainstream, but I don't see how this is a problem, other than otaku having to stay up later to catch their show of choice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Why do I get the strange feeling that this thread is seven pages and counting of Queen's Blade being bashed by people who watched at most two episodes before discarding it as the WORST SHOW EVAR?

. . .

Acid spewing nipples.

. . .

. . .

. . .

After hearing that, most people generally fall into two camps; they either want to rush out and get the Blu-Ray set as soon as it gets released, or they want to curl up in the foetal position and cry for the sake of the industry.

You chicken littles act like the anime industry is JUST NOW starting to do stuff like this. Newsflash, it's been like this since the 80's, anime is just easier to produce now thanks to digital animation and outsourcing to Korea, so more of it gets made. The level of good to bad shows in percentages is probably still the same as its always been, and its compounded by the ability for us to see every single show, OVA, ONA, special, and movie that's produced. There's always been otaku pandering anime like this, it just comes in different forms as tastes and styles change. I love Queen's Blade because it's exactly what I expected, huge titted women running around in skimpy clothes to fight one another. It doesn't try to be anything more than it is, not every show can be a so deep intellectual look into the human collective pysche and it's effects on the technological innovations of the late 20th century and how they integrate seamlessly into the neuro-subconsciousness of the general ggktjbftsjbgcfpjkgbkljgbjrtk etc. But in the end, what's going to sell more DVDs to the people who matter the most? Queen's Blade was already pretty big in Japan, the anime is for the established fanbase.

Ask yourself why Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece are still going. Is it because they're fantastic works of the animation medium and they represent the pinnacle of storytelling and characterization? No, they keep going because kids keep buying trading cards. First thing to do is to throw out the misconception that anime should only be "Mature shows for mature people such as myself" Sure there have been many highly intellectual works, but it's not the bread and butter of the industry.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The one thing people like GWOtaku are not getting is that Queen's Blade is an established franchise. It's been going since 2005, and they are going to release a new game made by Banpresto that actually looks pretty good.

This thing wasn't a twelve anime series that was a suprise sucess, it's a 24 episode series stretched over two seasons of twelve episodes each, they just didn't announce the second season until the end of the first. Same thing happened to the recent slayers series and Sengoku Basara.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
luckyxmas wrote:
Unless you're some kind of recluse and never talk to women, you're not going to base your view of an entire gender on some fantasy ecchi anime.

Have you heard about hikikomoris a.k.a. NEETs? They are sort of the definition of "otaku" in Japan at this point...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
luckyxmas wrote:

Have you heard about hikikomoris a.k.a. NEETs? They are sort of the definition of "otaku" in Japan at this point...

Those people have a ton of problems and anime like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhoods is not going to solve it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The one thing people like GWOtaku are not getting is that Queen's Blade is an established franchise. It's been going since 2005, and they are going to release a new game made by Banpresto that actually looks pretty good.

This thing wasn't a twelve anime series that was a suprise sucess, it's a 24 episode series stretched over two seasons of twelve episodes each, they just didn't announce the second season until the end of the first. Same thing happened to the recent slayers series and Sengoku Basara.

They seem to be doing that breaking up of series into two parts a lot these days. Makes sense, it allows them to spread out resources and allocate funding where they need it, and gives the production teams a little break between work. There's been tons of shows doing it lately: Birdy, Gundam 00, Rosario, Zetsubou Sensei, others. But for a show like Queen's Blade, it's not going to be the DVD sales that drive it, the show's just a thank you to the people already buying the merchandise. I need to pick up a Mega House Cattleya one of these days.

vashfanatic wrote:
luckyxmas wrote:

I was under the impression that otaku need to be like the Densha Otoko drama makes it seem, having some kind of job so that they have income to go out and buy more product. It makes more sense than the NEET/hikki view to me.
luckyxmas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
luckyxmas wrote:

I have indeed - in fact I initially typed hikikomoris before replacing it with a more general and universal term.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Why do I get the strange feeling that this thread is seven pages and counting of Queen's Blade being bashed by people who watched at most two episodes before discarding it as the WORST SHOW EVAR?

. . .

Acid spewing nipples.

Yeah, that's exactly what set off those alarms in my head. It's the only thing anyone brings up when called upon to rag on the series. Look back through this very thread, noone mentions a single other specific scene or event from the series. That scene was in episode 2. If it was just the worst bit everyone remembers, then okay, but it's the ONLY bad bit that anyone remembers. That means either that the series hit it's nadir right there- in other words, it was *uphill* from that point- or we have a thread full of people ragging on 11 episodes they haven't seen even a still of.

This is almost as bad as that moron back in '08 who bashed James Patterson as an anti-manga bigot on the basis of a single paragraph out of his latest book. Which was read to said moron by another person with no context provided, and unconfirmed because he was too lazy to actually read the book in question. Not too lazy to try and raise a lynch mob around here for the lulz, of course...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

. . .

Acid spewing nipples.

Yeah, that's exactly what set off those alarms in my head. It's the only thing anyone brings up when called upon to rag on the series. Look back through this very thread, noone mentions a single other specific scene or event from the series. That scene was in episode 2. If it was just the worst bit everyone remembers, then okay, but it's the ONLY bad bit that anyone remembers. That means either that the series hit it's nadir right there- in other words, it was *uphill* from that point- or we have a thread full of people ragging on 11 episodes they haven't seen even a still of.

This is almost as bad as that moron back in '08 who bashed James Patterson as an anti-manga bigot on the basis of a single paragraph out of his latest book. Which was read to said moron by another person with no context provided, and unconfirmed because he was too lazy to actually read the book in question. Not too lazy to try and raise a lynch mob around here for the lulz, of course...

Actually the acid spewing nipples where in Episode 1

The average hater of Queen's Blade read ANN's coverage of episode 1 thought it was complete shit, and then decided the rest of the series must be complete shit as well.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I haven't watched Queen's Blade except few clips from Youtube, so I can't comment how good or bad the show is. Let me ask you this: How do you know that shows like Strike Witches outsells mainstream? Do you have reliable fact that supports your words?
Have you seen the sale charts that are posted on ANN. Strike Witches is the biggest hit Gonzo has had since VanDread.

Still that doesn't mean there is a huge following that covers non-Otakus. Just because it sold few thousand DVDs, it doesn't mean everyone in Japan watches it and buy merchandises.

4nBlue wrote:
Don't brag eroge in to this debate. Just because 90% of the hundreds of eroge made every year are crap does not mean the good ones should be lumped together with them. Most people tend to forget that anime like Phantom, Utawarerumono and Tsukihime are also eroge adaptions. Don't blame the lack of good adaptions, because there are great games waiting for to be adapted, but animation studios refer to animate crap or make good games in to crappy anime.

Maybe I'm generalizing, but have you looked at how media business works? Eroge is very cheap to make and it is still trying to adapt into animated film at lowest budget. Just because it made some decent sale among Otakus, it doesn't mean it has financial leverage to adapt into more expensive medium like animation. We know that making animation is not cheap. I have to bring Eroge into this debate because majority of animation producers can't seem get away from it regardless of story and visual quality.

Like you said, there are few good ones among many bad ones. I don't disagree with you on that. When the few good ones are obscured with many bad ones, they have to upkeep the quality to shine through obscurity. In reality, most people don't spend majority of their time playing games or watch anime. Only way the any medium to get noticed is that it has to make serious sales.

You know why video game anime are bad? Just like Hollywood counterparts, the animation makers either don't understand or ill prepared to adapt game into film format. Also sometimes hardcore fans complain about the adaptation to smallest details and they are considerably vocal. Therefore, if Video game anime is bad among non-video game players, then it's just bad. If it's bad among fans, then they have way too much high expectation.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
luckyxmas wrote:

Words right out of my mouth, dawg.

Charred Knight wrote:

The average hater of Queen's Blade read ANN's coverage of episode 1 thought it was complete shit, and then decided the rest of the series must be complete shit as well.

So I guess that means Mr. Bertschy (Spelling?) has a ton of influence around here. So are you going to pick a fight with him for his possibly misleading review, or are you going to pick a fight with the people who were possibly mislead by said review?

Eh, these fights are a waste of time. But I just can't stop following them. Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
That means either that the series hit it's nadir right there- in other words, it was *uphill* from that point- or we have a thread full of people ragging on 11 episodes they haven't seen even a still of.

Won't someone please think of the boobs?!?!

Actually, staff critic Theron Martin has been enjoying Queen's Blade, I guess. He's mentioned it a few times.

Not going to apologize for shredding the first episode. It was awful, and gave me zero reason to watch more. Life is too short to say "Hm, maybe this ludicrous over-the-top bullcrap gets better if I watch another 5 hours' worth of it!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10