• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dragon Age

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I was serious about the lolicon debate being over folks! Any further posts about it will be deleted and if you persist I'll be happy to boot you out of the forums.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JairStout wrote:

^ Not funny.

Well shoot, pardner! What's wrong, you got a burr in your saddle?

Deleting posts that are on-topic is completely irrational, pardner....
jamesleung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
ahh... I was enjoying your small town sheriff bit, Zac. I was waiting for you to use the phrase, "that dog don't hunt."
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Erin, it's so sad that you had to write that intro.

Man, I hate anime fans.

While I applaud Erin for continuing to speak her mind, I think she needs to take a break on announcing she's going to keep speaking her mind... it's starting to sound a little cable news-ish. Why does she allow this to continuously bother her? Yes, her opinion is not word, but if she thinks that means she can forgo criticism she's got another thing coming.

As for you, to hate anime fans because they disagree with a reviewer... that's just stupid. It's actually downright hypocritical that you'd say its so sad Erin made to write that intro and then say you hate the anime fans who present a counter-opinion.

A review is an opinion, and all Erin's doing here is presenting her well-informed, insightful, and entertaining opinion and reaction to a show.

I think you need to understand the difference between a review and a criticism.

Review: an appraisal or evaluation
Criticism: disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings

Sounds to me this column can and was both. I think you need to understand that just because Erin's presenting a "well-informed, insightful, and entertaining" opinion doesn't mean, for the upteenth-millionth time, that she's exempt from the criticism of her peers and readers.

Last edited by Splitter on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Zac wrote:
JairStout wrote:

^ Not funny.

Well shoot, pardner! What's wrong, you got a burr in your saddle?

Deleting posts that are on-topic is completely irrational, pardner....

Keep pushin' me on the issue cowpoke and you'll find ye'self sent outta town on the horse you rode in on!

Splitter wrote:

Sounds to me this column can and was both. I think you need to understand that just because Erin's presenting a "well-informed, insightful, and entertaining" opinion doesn't mean, for the upteenth-millionth time, that she's exempt from the criticism of her peers and readers.

Right, but you seem to be the only person who really interpreted that opening statement to mean "you guys can't disagree with or criticize my opinion." I mean, I certainly didn't get that, and you guys have been hazing her for a solid month and change now, seemingly every column has the same 5 or 6 people running in to tell her she's "doing it wrong" or tell her "what the best way to review something" is, like she's a rookie, which she isn't. New to the column, yes, new to writing about anime, not at all.

So her response is to push back a bit against that, and I don't fault her for it. In fact I think she's doing just fine holding her own against you guys, who I don't think would be nearly as hard or critical of her if she weren't stepping into some big shoes. So yeah, of course you're perfectly entitled to make your criticisms and complaints and suggestions known - nobody but nobody is stopping you from doing that, certainly not Erin and I don't think she even suggested you 'can't' criticize her - but to characterize any pushback at all, any argument or disagreement from the person you're criticizing (seemingly nonstop) as evidence that the person trying to "silence" you or trying to erase or disqualify any criticism at all is, I think, a gross misreading of the situation, not to mention weirdly self-serving.

It's like poking someone and they poke back or say "uh hey could you not poke me" and you throw a fit about how they're denying you your right to poke them.

Nobody who works for this site is under the impression that they are free from criticism in the forums for their work or are entitled to silence critics, provided it's actual constructive criticism and not just lame insulting fanboy rage-hate or stupid childish personal attacks, which we've never tolerated. The rules aren't that complicated and nobody's trying to silence you or suggest that they can't ever be debated on their opinion, period.

Last edited by Zac on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Anme rvewz r srs bsns. Tell us what we want to hear or we will revolt.

* Rolling Eyes *
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I disagree with the rental shelf rating because this version is what anime fans were begging to see. A complete uncut version of the series.

While FUNi hasn't said anything yet, at least as far as I know, they'll most likely eventually release Dragon Box sets like they're doing now with Z. Rental shelf is definitely where this set belongs especially since it's FUNi's "remaster". I'll wait around for that Dragon Box.

And if that is Toa on the Dragonaut cover, she is kind of ugly and I can't see where the fanservice is supposed to come in. I mean her boobs are sagging. Apparently, in the future they have burned all the bras. And another picture I saw of her looked like she stuck her ass in a Ball-o Shine-o.

Nice collection their jenthehen. I like the little Higurashi shrine you've got going there.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Nope, still not funny.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Nope, still not funny.

It's not meant to amuse you, genius.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Good reviews, Erin, and good for you for holding your own against some of the overly snarky/sensitive members of this forum.
*Warning - girl stuff ahead!* However, there was a statement you made in your Popotan review that had me thinking - the complaints about the elementary student going bra shopping. Some of us girls were unfortunate enough to have to start wearing a bra in elementary school. It's a rarity, it's embarassing, but believe me, it happens. And I have a feeling it happens more so now, since girls seem to develop insanely early. Hell, even in the Baby Sitters Club, those girls were 12-13 years old, and were all jazzed up about getting their bras. Although I'm thinking if a girl is too small for even the smallest bra, she probably should skip the it, and enjoy her few remaining years of sweet, sweet freedom.
Anyway, if you thought that scene was bad, I advise you not to watch Shuffle! They even had to go so far as to show the underaged character in a soaking wet see-through shirt, before the older girls dragged her bra shopping. If there's anything worse than real bra-shopping, it's watching girls in anime bra shopping. Ooh, which one will she choose? The pink push up, or the sheer turqoise?! I'm on the edge of my seat! *end of girly stuff*

Great shelves this week - that Higurashi shrine is awesome! Also, I'm uber jealous of that Rena figure - she's such a cutie!

And Zac - I thought it was funny. Maybe JairStout needs a humour transplant.
PookyKBK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Hey Erin!

The first one or two columns of yours, it took a little adjusting. When Bamboo reviewed, I was well aware she was taking in the show's quality alone when reviewing, and having read a lot of her columns, I was pretty aware of where my opinion sat relative to hers. Most of the time when she rated something, essentially, "Awesome!" I found myself saying, "Wow, I wish I could get that, but I probably won't."

So while your writing/rating style is quite different, I actually really like it! I'm still a university student, so my funds are really, REALLY tight. As you write more, I'm figuring out more where we agree/disagree, but I also like that you're ratings one based on whether or not YOU would pay for them, which is more realistic to me - I think Bamboo was more like my "idealized" column; what would I get if I had lots of money, ideally.

Your writing style also really works for me, because you're explanations are pretty clear to me. For example, you might say, essentially, "Auuuugh, I couldn't stand ______ because while the animation was great and it was big budget, the plot didn't work because..." and so on. That's great for me, because I can read that and think, "Oh, well, I like great animation and big budget enough that I can ignore the kind of plot flaws she discussed. Cool, I might like this!"

I'm looking forward to more, and I'm excited for more big forum explosions! Because my need more watching drama happen is satisfied on the internet, I'm pretty stable in real life. (Sorry Zac! It'll take me a lot longer before I get bored of it!) Keep on trucking, Erin! I read every column Smile
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Review: an appraisal or evaluation
Criticism: disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings

You got the review part right, in that a review is an evaluation of a work intended to tell the reader if they should invest their time/money into the work, but you got the criticism part wrong. A criticism is a deeper analysis or interpretation of the work; for example, a criticism might discuss what previous works a work draws from, or might provide an interpretation of what kind of message a work proposes or puts forth.

The difference is that a review is consumer- and entertainment-focused, while a criticism ignores those things and has a more academic focus.

Shelf Life is about reviews, Erin telling the reader what she thinks they should or shouldn't buy.

Splitter wrote:

Wait, that's a different criticism from what you were talking about before. Of course she's not exempt from criticism from peers and readers (though of course she should be exempt from the madness of raging fanboys).

But again, that's not what you were saying before. In your words, "Yes, her opinion is not word, but if she thinks that means she can forgo criticism she's got another thing coming."

What you said there is that her reviews also have to be criticisms, which is false. Sure you can mix the two, but that's not the goal of Shelf Life, nor should it be.

EDIT: Oh hey Zac, didn't notice you said some of the same things as me a few posts up, but whatever.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
I heartily agree about Popotan... all other arguments and objections aside, the show... well, there just WASN'T any show. Myself, I couldn't even survive the first episode, the mediocrity was just too much/

You didn't even finish the first episode but feel qualified to judge the series as a whole?

Yea, I never quite understood that logic either. Come on guys! There's a difference between genuine hate and Twilight bandwagon hate. If your gonna hate something at least experience. ugh...

don't come with the "LOL, I haven't even watch past the 1st episode but I" BS.

No, I did finish the first episode. I said I didn't "survive it." Big Difference. And as for not being able to "judge" something without "experiencing it?" I did "experience" it and found it lacking from the get go. Also, get some perspective: it's an anime based on an eroge, not Shakespeare.

If milk has gone bad, I'm not gonna drink the whole carton to confirm that fact. One taste is enough.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
No, I did finish the first episode. I said I didn't "survive it." Big Difference. And as for not being able to "judge" something without "experiencing it?" I did "experience" it and found it lacking from the get go.

No one would suggest you watch something you hate but you’re wrong if you think you can make cogent arguments about why the show as a whole is bad based on such limited experiance. It’s impossible; you’ve only seen a small part of it. You're mistaking personal antipathy (a fine reason to drop a series) for critical insight.

As someone who had seen the whole thing, I can say the first episode is one of the weakest and least substantial episodes in series that’s hardly heavyweight. It isn’t representative of the whole.
CareyGrant wrote:
Also, get some perspective: it's an anime based on an eroge, not Shakespeare.

So I guess I’ll just go read the script for Shakespeare’s first, Titus Andronicus, and decide he’s a hack because that one's not very good.

Or rather I should say that the worth of this anime being less than fine art (is there one that isn’t?) doesn’t mean it makes sense to start talking nonsense.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have the Geneon DVDs for Popotan. Mai's story was dramatic and probably one of the better parts of the series. I also consider it to have one of the better anime Christmas episodes. The series does feel incomplete since it ends with a lot of unsolved mysteries. If I had to choose the most offensive part about Popotan, it wouldn't be the random nudity but rather spoiler[the sudden sexual relationship between Ai and Keith in episode 7 and the bloody violence that occurred shortly after.]

On another subject: Since Erin mentioned other reviews being on the site, I think the encyclopdedia entries should link to Shelf Life under the reviews section whenever the Shelf Life includes a relevant review. Is there a reason why they currently don't?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11