• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Part I: Are You Not Entertained?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember coming home and anxiously downloading the latest Code Geass episode every Sunday back in the mid aughts. AAMOF, I did that for both series. And, while I enjoyed them both, a lot, I wouldn't have dreamed of them being on any serious critic's Top 10 list of the decade. Specifically R2. It was a very good series, make no mistake. But, sometimes it was a bit ridiculous.

The absence of Gurren Lagann, on the other hand, did genuinely surprise me. In terms of story, characters, and just about all other technical merits, it stood out among everything else that year; as well as its predecessors (Getter Robo, Gunbuster 2) that clearly influenced it.

Death Note seems debatable, even with its shaky second half. It was truly innovative and was ingeniously written in its first half.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I remember coming home and anxiously downloading the latest Code Geass episode every Sunday back in the mid aughts. AAMOF, I did that for both series. And, while I enjoyed them both, a lot, I wouldn't have dreamed of them being on any serious critic's Top 10 list of the decade. (...)

The absence of Gurren Lagann, on the other hand, did genuinely surprise me. (...)

Death Note seems debatable, even with its shaky second half. (...)

That's exactly where the real difference between the "top/best 10" and "favorite 10" comes up, in my opinion. The latter is far more forgiving.

I'd have absolutely no problems putting all three of those shows on my list of personal favorites from the 2000s, because all of them were extremely enjoyable to watch, but I'd definitely take a step back and be very skeptical before trying to place them in a top ten that is supposed to account for something more than that. They're not exactly flawless, by any means, even if some of us can endlessly argue back and forth about the specifics.

That said, it is also true there have been a couple of shows of similarly or even more questionable quality -and of limited appeal at best- which have already been included on these lists by the different podcast participants during previous episodes, but debating that would be of little use here.

Frankly, I don't think it's particularly unusual to leave those three shows out, especially considering both the personal interests and critical perspectives of the hosts involved don't necessarily seem to overlap too much with the ones of those who would tend to rank such series highly. You'd need to include someone with a very, very different point of view in order to see them listed. That's probably the best way I can sum it up.

In the end, I'd like to believe that the practical purpose of these lists isn't to find some sort of universal and all-inclusive agreement about what should we consider as the ten best shows of the decade, because reaching any real consensus among contemporary anime fans is extremely difficult, but simply to use them as a source for future recommendations about shows that are almost certainly worth checking out. That's why I enjoy listening to these episodes, at any rate, since I can't claim to have already seen every single title discussed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I remember coming home and anxiously downloading the latest Code Geass episode every Sunday back in the mid aughts. AAMOF, I did that for both series. And, while I enjoyed them both, a lot, I wouldn't have dreamed of them being on any serious critic's Top 10 list of the decade. Specifically R2. It was a very good series, make no mistake. But, sometimes it was a bit ridiculous.

The absence of Gurren Lagann, on the other hand, did genuinely surprise me. In terms of story, characters, and just about all other technical merits, it stood out among everything else that year; as well as its predecessors (Getter Robo, Gunbuster 2) that clearly influenced it.

Death Note seems debatable, even with its shaky second half. It was truly innovative and was ingeniously written in its first half.

Gurren Lagann's problem is that a lot of the fanbase promote it as a strictly Super Robot show when the best parts are the character drama and the fact that it shows what happens when a crew of hot blooded morons get put in charge of the place (they run the city poorly outside of like 4 people).

If you're going to watch the show expecting a stupid robot show then you might as well watch something by Masami Obari because an Obari directed show is going to have better action and tits.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kaoshin_Sama wrote:
It seems like any shows that still try to do thing the traditional way and IMO do it well are ignored and bomb in the markets and just about anything that does the new media thing garners instant attention and popularity everywhere and is at the very least a modest success on the markets.

Can you cite some examples of what you're referring to here? I'm curious about what, exactly, you mean here.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that titles like Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari, Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, Souten Kouro, & Ring ni Kakero 1, among others, are the types of titles Kaoshin was talking about (the titles in his head are probably different, but the thought is the same). All of these titles were not picked up for streaming (regardless of the reasons why [costs, availibility, or even interest (i.e. I highly doubt that CrunchyRoll actually tries to get "everything new" each season, like they've stated multiple times)], and though they have been fansubbed, each of their releases were pretty low key and only known by a smaller number of anime fans; hell, in Hyouge Mono's case it still isn't fully fansubbed, & Ring ni Kakero 1 is infamously ignored by most English-speaking anime fans.

Sure, you do occasionally get a title like Space Brothers or Chihayafuru, which get official streams & then large amounts of love & talk, but those are (unfortunately) definitely outliers/the exceptions, not the ideals. Compare that to some of the titles that tend to get a lot of talk, and it is understandable for some people to feel that way.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Key wrote:
marie-antoinette: I don't believe NANA ever comes up, even in listener-submitted lists. That surprised me, since it was a well-respected series.

Poor NANA. It is not only my favourite anime from the 2000s but also my favourite anime period (though I will admit, most of my favorite series are from the 2000s, with the major exception of Fushigi Yuugi which is very flawed but still very loved by me), so maybe that will make it better. I still am sad to see it get forgotten though; maybe things will improve if the manga manages to get finished and a second season is made.

I am also sad to read that NANA doesn't come up on the podcast. It is definitely my favorite show of the 2000s as well. I'm pretty surprised it isn't on any twitter lists.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf is a moe show? Eh, guess I don't know the definition well enough.

Anyway, let me put my drop in the bucket:

3. Black Lagoon

2. Paranoia Agent

1. Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.

My other favorites of the decade:

Samurai Champloo
Cromartie High School
Baccano!
Mushi-shi
Fullmetal Alchemist
Spice and Wolf
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Death Note
FLCL

EDIT: I forgot Seirei no Moribito!! How could I forget that? Eden of the East as well!

There are still a lot of shows in this decade I've never seen or never finished.

Last edited by YotaruVegeta on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Key wrote:
Kaoshin_Sama wrote:
It seems like any shows that still try to do thing the traditional way and IMO do it well are ignored and bomb in the markets and just about anything that does the new media thing garners instant attention and popularity everywhere and is at the very least a modest success on the markets.

Can you cite some examples of what you're referring to here? I'm curious about what, exactly, you mean here.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that titles like Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari, Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, Souten Kouro, & Ring ni Kakero 1, among others, are the types of titles Kaoshin was talking about (the titles in his head are probably different, but the thought is the same).

If that's what's meant by "traditional storytelling" then we're clearly not talking about "traditional in a purely anime sense" but "traditional in general." Those kind of titles have always been a minority - heck, I'd even say a very small minority - amongst anime productions, and aside from the fact that they didn't exist at all more than 25 years ago I don't think that their frequency has changed that much over time. They've also only rarely been popular, so it isn't like this supposed shift to fan-focused titles is washing them out. (And incidentally, I'm not convinced that fan-pandering is a more prominent approach now than it's ever been before. It just seems that way because anime is now more commonly pandering to narrower fetishes.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Key wrote:
Kaoshin_Sama wrote:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that titles like Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari, Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, Souten Kouro, & Ring ni Kakero 1, among others, are the types of titles Kaoshin was talking about (the titles in his head are probably different, but the thought is the same).

If that's what's meant by "traditional storytelling" then we're clearly not talking about "traditional in a purely anime sense" but "traditional in general." Those kind of titles have always been a minority - heck, I'd even say a very small minority - amongst anime productions, and aside from the fact that they didn't exist at all more than 25 years ago I don't think that their frequency has changed that much over time. They've also only rarely been popular, so it isn't like this supposed shift to fan-focused titles is washing them out. (And incidentally, I'm not convinced that fan-pandering is a more prominent approach now than it's ever been before. It just seems that way because anime is now more commonly pandering to narrower fetishes.)

Again, this was my guess at to what he meant, which might be wrong in this case. As it is, I don't disagree with you on this one bit, Theron. These kinds of titles are the minority, but I think the recent focus on pandering to certain (narrow) fetishes has kind of made those "traditional" stories stand out more on the rare cases they are made because they are so diametrically different in style & execution. On the one hand you can have a ton of gender-bending sengoku-era/influenced title, so much so that they kind of blend together to some people, and then you have a title like RAINBOW, which is so utterly different that it will make people notice it and want more of that story & character-focused style without having to pander to certain fetishes. They won't get it, though, because the sengoku-style shows will sell way more than a title like RAINBOW.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm very late to the party but here would be my 6-10 + Honorable mentions:

10. Nodame Cantabile (2007, J.C. Staff): A case where the addition of audio improved the content of the source material. The score the show was very well done and they manged to assemble a very good orchestra for the show. The show mostly gets in the list do to the music, but the story is very strong, although the art and animation does dip a bit when it came to animating the music scenes.

9. The Sky Crawlers (2008, Production I.G): I'm going to be really lazy and say I agree with Justin.

8. Planetes (2004, Sunrise): The accurate space physics, sounds and general space knowledge show a large amount of research went into the show, and has kinda left me spoiled. I cringe whenever I here sounds in space, or things stop for no reason. It was not just the science side that got so much detail, as the characters have one of the more natural developments that I an think of in anime.

7. Paprika (2006, Madhouse): This film took full advantage of the advantages of animation, mixing realism with parts that were complete fantasy. This mixture really pushed the dream like state and the nature of dreams that can swap for real to fantasy in a second.

6. Time of Eve (2008, Directions, Inc.): Developed on a shoe string budget Time of Eve had amazing art / animation and more then anything else it rode its own path. While the concept of human interaction with machines has been done many times they, this one is unique in that it tells it from a very simple standpoint. The machines are not trying to take over the world, or anything grand, its just about two kids who are asked why, and in tern they begin to ask why.

HM: Nana, Boogiepop Phantom, Haibane Renmei, 5 Centimeters per Second, Boogiepop Phantom
arromdee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It was brought up in connection with Boogiepop Phantom, but also happened with Baccano and Haruhi in different ways: it's based on a light novel series, so the producers feel free to show things out of order, give inadequate introductions, assume people already know stuff, and generally act as though it's for an audience who has already read the light novels.

And worse yet, you get American fandom. There's a vocal segment of fandom who insists that because something is hard to understand, understanding it proves that you are super-intelligent and better than the other fans who insist that the show is nonsensical. And any show that is hard to understand must be Artistic. (This also applies to End of Evangelion.)

I'm really sick and tired of this. It's not artistic, and it doesn't prove the viewers are smart. It proves that the producers are deliberately narrowing their audience (probably because these sort of shows depend on DVD and merchandise sales anyway, and because someone who hasn't read the light novels probably won't buy DVDs). And that some fans will believe anything to excuse bad storytelling.

I really wish someone would do a fan edit of Baccano that splices the individual stories together. There might be a good show buried in there somewhere.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
So comparing different eras:

The 1980s was the greatest era of science fiction anime, by far. This is the era where anime took leaps and bounds. My personal favorite era.

The 1990s was the pinnacle of traditional cel shaded animation. More than a few classics, but there were definitely some corny moments.

The 2000s ... well, they kind of sucked in comparison. Oversaturation of the market with too many of the same kind of bland shows due to the jump to digital animation. Science Fiction shows are scarce.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
The 2000s ... well, they kind of sucked in comparison. Oversaturation of the market with too many of the same kind of bland shows due to the jump to digital animation. Science Fiction shows are scarce.

A simple Genre Search using our Encyclopedia's search function shows that there were 574 anime titles tagged as Science Fiction from 2000-2009, out of 2209 total titles. That's an average of 57 a year and 26% of all titles released in the decade, and that's probably low since a lot of titles don't have insufficient genre tags on them. Don't think you can call them "scarce" based on that.
DeMemoire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
1: .Hack//Sign
2: Mushi Shi
3: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
2000 - 2009 was probably the peak time frame of anime so far. A lot of great anime came out then and anime really started getting more popular and more began coming out (just compare sales from the 90s and early 2000s to the later 2000s, they increased a lot) 2010+ so far is nice too but too early to tell.

I don't really like making ranking lists since I find it hard/impossible to actually rank shows across different genres and what not since I enjoy a lot of shows for different reasons and can't say I enjoy all aspects of a show better than another.

I prefer looking at the most influential series, since it's more of an objective analysis. Some of the most important anime of this time frame definitely involves titles such as Ojamajo Doremi, One Piece and Doraemon 2005 (No, I don't care if One Piece technically premiered in October 1999. The bulk of it's episodes aired in the 2000s, and that's when it's popularity and influence took off the most). Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl probably counts too.. it's the sole reason Nintendo started catering to the older fanbase of the franchise. Gundam SEED should probably be on there as well by revitalizing the Gundam franchise... Haruhi as well probably for drawing and creating a huge interest in light novel adaptions... Code Geass could be thrown in there as well for some late night anime trends it helped. The 2000s had a lot of turning points in the industry. It was definitely an amazing decade. Personally I feel Ojamajo Doremi should be on both the best Quality Top 10 and the most Influential Top 10 of the decade. It just did so much right and influenced an entire new mindset about girls anime. Pretty Cure would as well, but there wouldn't be a Pretty Cure without Ojamajo Doremi, so I feel it deserves more credit. And to be honest, Ojamajo Doremi was a lot better. It was really groundbreaking and influential
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jeromeskee wrote:

A simple Genre Search using our Encyclopedia's search function shows that there were 574 anime titles tagged as Science Fiction from 2000-2009, out of 2209 total titles. That's an average of 57 a year and 26% of all titles released in the decade, and that's probably low since a lot of titles don't have insufficient genre tags on them. Don't think you can call them "scarce" based on that.

There was a scarcity of notable high quality sci-fi. Looking at the last decade even something like Gundam Seed Destiny can be considered mediocre to the vast sea of crap that sci-fi has become.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9