• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Maybe? But Zeta's age, animation, and genre would keep people away long before they realized how bad the dub was. The people left probably would'nt care.

What? Are you trying to say Zeta's animation is bad/poor/crappy? If so, I disagree 100% with you. Gundam Zeta is one of the best animated series in my opinion. Despite being created almost three decades ago, its animation is comparable to the best modern standards.
No, I'm saying it looks old and that's enough to keep a lot of anime fans here away. The animation looks old(though I'm not sure its one of the best, not with this being the 80s and all). The character designs are old. If Zeta ever came on tv it would probably bomb just like MS Gundam. Hell the show is probably less appealing now to your modern anime fan.

And hahaha Age is pretty much at the bottom. It's the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Separate animation (the illusion of movement through sequenced still images) from art design. Fantasia and Snow White still have impeccable animation, and they're older than anyone who posts on this website, even Mohawk.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:

Well the survey is closed. Here are the results:

Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
After War Gundam X
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
SD Gundam Force
SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors

Wonder if this is a marketing survey about which ones have the more people who would likely support the series here.............

WeskerGriff wrote:

There was only 663 total votes. I would call that a small sample size.

Well, still better than the Saimoe Tournament lately...........
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
What? Are you trying to say Zeta's animation is bad/poor/crappy? If so, I disagree 100% with you. Gundam Zeta is one of the best animated series in my opinion. Despite being created almost three decades ago, its animation is comparable to the best modern standards.

And I really have to disagree with you. Most Zeta's fights are pretty lame. I rewatched it not too long ago and it was such a chore to get through. I could only deal with 3 or so episodes at a time before I started drifting off.

The movies really did benefit from the new animation. The battle at the end of the first movie was far more exciting than anything in the TV show, and they made the final battle against Scirocco pretty awesome.

If you truely want a show from Zeta's time period that really shines in animation and fight coreography, go watch Layzner.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Separate animation (the illusion of movement through sequenced still images) from art design. Fantasia and Snow White still have impeccable animation, and they're older than anyone who posts on this website, even Mohawk.

As far as Gundam Zeta is concerned, I think it has both very good animation and art design. To me Zeta's looks should not be a reason for younger viewers to dismiss it.

This is a very personal opinion, but to me Gundam Zeta looks better than Gundam Unicorn. Unicorn is in HD, but to me Gundam Zeta is one of the better looking 80s Sunrise series. City Hunter is another great example of old but very good looking series (also animated by Sunrise).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Most Zeta's fights are pretty lame. I rewatched it not too long ago and it was such a chore to get through. I could only deal with 3 or so episodes at a time before I started drifting off.

There's plenty of good action in the TV series.

Quote:
The movies really did benefit from the new animation. The battle at the end of the first movie was far more exciting than anything in the TV show, and they made the final battle against Scirocco pretty awesome.

The movies were lazily cobbled together, cutting out huge swaths of the story in such a way as to render the story incomplete, and mixing decades old animation with new animation in a clumsy and laughable manner. And that f***ing ending is a joke.

You would think that with how short they made the movies they'd be able to afford to do them completely in new animation. The new animation looked great, but it doesn't make up for the overall awfulness.

Truth be told, I still haven't forgiven Tomino entirely. But at least Seagusa did more music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="angelmcazares"]
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

As far as Gundam Zeta is concerned, I think it has both very good animation and art design. To me Zeta's looks should not be a reason for younger viewers to dismiss it.

It shouldn't, but it would. And I'm not quite sure the writing and story telling would hold up either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The movies were lazily cobbled together, cutting out huge swaths of the story in such a way as to render the story incomplete, and mixing decades old animation with new animation in a clumsy and laughable manner. And that f***ing ending is a joke.

You would think that with how short they made the movies they'd be able to afford to do them completely in new animation. The new animation looked great, but it doesn't make up for the overall awfulness.

Truth be told, I still haven't forgiven Tomino entirely. But at least Seagusa did more music.

I think your being way too hard on the Zeta movies. I think what a lot of people need to understand is that a lot of Japanese animators and people in the anime industry hold a lot of reverence for Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam. A lot of the time they unwillingly add new animation into the mix, because they don’t want to mess with a classic. Kind of similar if someone wanted to re-do Star Wars and add all new footage and give the picture an “updated” look. I remember Shin Sasaki saying something like this at Otakon in 2012 when asked. That's also a reason why we are hearing no updates on Origins because the animators don’t know how to go about animating the series because of its status in Japanese culture and fandom.

Also I actually didn’t mind the ending in the new/retelling Zeta movies because I think everyone knew something was up. Tomino made it well known before these movies came out that Kamille spoiler[ was going to get a happier ending. Hence no frying of the brain.] If anything about these new movies I was disappoint with was spoiler[ Jerid once again getting shafted and being reduced to a named grunt. I figured in the new movies he might get a more worthy end after being Kamillie rival for the entire series. I guess not.]

At least that's my opinion on the movies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
Look, they should have done it in either all old animation or all new animation, but not both. That's stupid. The reason it worked with the 0079 movies is because the new animation wasn't so new that it looked like it was made in a different time period. You might as well recut a Buster Keaton movie with The Avengers. Decade old animation and brand new animation mixed together in a single feature is just dumb.

Hell, they were doing Zeta Gundam movies 20 something years too late. I'm glad it reignited the popularity of the show, but as an entity, those movies are crap. As much as I love Tomino, this was a huge mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
I think what a lot of people need to understand is that a lot of Japanese animators and people in the anime industry hold a lot of reverence for Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam. A lot of the time they unwillingly add new animation into the mix, because they don’t want to mess with a classic. Kind of similar if someone wanted to re-do Star Wars and add all new footage and give the picture an “updated” look. I remember Shin Sasaki saying something like this at Otakon in 2012 when asked. That's also a reason why we are hearing no updates on Origins because the animators don’t know how to go about animating the series because of its status in Japanese culture and fandom.

Isn't the Origin going to be animated from scratch? If the staff at Sunrise are thinking of using the original Gundam 0079 footage and just adding new animation, that will be crazy. I want to think that Japanese audiences would like the Origin if it looks like Unicorn (I know I would).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There's plenty of good action in the TV series.

Yeah, it definitely had its moments. An early battle where Jerid almost beat Camille in a Galbaldy was pretty good, the stuff with the Psychos were neat, and the final few episodes are genuinely thrilling.

It's just the stuff in between meandered quite a bit. Seemed there were too many pointless skirmishes that had no importance to the story in the long run. The last few episodes were so good because stuff actually happened.

penguintruth wrote:

Like I just said, a lot of Zeta's content didn't amount to much so nothing all that important was cut out. Seriously, what was the point of 'killing' Four, only to bring her back and kill her again? Definitively killing her the first time has the same impact.

From the get go the creators were up front about how poorly the new animation integrates with the old stuff. It was just unavoidable.

And the ending is a lot better in the movies. It made it so that what Camille went through actually mattered. After all that hardship Camille gets his reward and the AEUG is a lot better off. The TV series was just Tomino being cynical for the sake of being cynical. He was basically saying "even if you fight through hardship nothing will ever get better!" Which has a degree of truth to it, sure, but it doesn't make for good storytelling. All the best tragedies at least have some glimmer of hope at the end.

But it's a lot more tolerable to sit through 3 movies that have plenty of good scenes versus a 50 episode series that drags its feet a lot. The latter might not be so bad if the characters were actually likable. Aside from Henken and Maor, every single one of them was a jerk who couldn't have a conversation without getting into a fight with some one. Camille can't even say goodbye to Reccoa when she heads to Earth without them arguing. A lot of conversations just don't flow at all, like Jerid's first conversation with Lila. One moment he's attacking her and by the end of it he's giving her a smile and a salute and she's suddenly his mentor now or something.

As I said before, the movies do a much better job of making the cast likable, make them seem like they actually are trusted comrades who have each others' back. And it was done with minor things like Reccoa joking about Quattro touching her butt, or all of them sitting down together for some cake.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Like I just said, a lot of Zeta's content didn't amount to much so nothing all that important was cut out. Seriously, what was the point of 'killing' Four, only to bring her back and kill her again? Definitively killing her the first time has the same impact.all

Zeta was non-stop plot. There was very little that could be cut without removing key details. There's almost no fluff in the TV series.

Four's second death was all about shedding pretenses about what they were doing. It was followed directly by "Day of Dakar", the heart and soul of the series (which they of course removed), where Char declares his intentions in front of the Federation government. The Kilamanjaro episodes are a vital lead-in and add another notch to the rivalry between Kamille and Jerid. It's taking things like that out that really made Jerid a nobody, and we got less of Jamitov as well.

Quote:
From the get go the creators were up front about how poorly the new animation integrates with the old stuff. It was just unavoidable.

No, it was very avoidable. If Sunrise committed themselves to a brand new movie trilogy for Zeta Gundam twenty plus years after it aired, they should have reanimated the whole damn thing.

Quote:
And the ending is a lot better in the movies. It made it so that what Camille went through actually mattered. After all that hardship Camille gets his reward and the AEUG is a lot better off. The TV series was just Tomino being cynical for the sake of being cynical. He was basically saying "even if you fight through hardship nothing will ever get better!" Which has a degree of truth to it, sure, but it doesn't make for good storytelling. All the best tragedies at least have some glimmer of hope at the end.

I disagree thoroughly. Zeta Gundam isn't about reaping rewards, it's about sacrificing for the sake of others. Kamille paid the price for trying to change the world. And, I might add, he recovers at the end of Double Zeta. The hero coming out unscuffed from the final battle is complete nonsense when everyone around him was falling.

Also, without the Hyaku Shiki's remains floating by with the cockpit open, there's no indication that Char survived. He just kills himself in the fight with Haman for no reason.

Quote:
the movies do a much better job of making the cast likable, make them seem like they actually are trusted comrades who have each others' back. And it was done with minor things like Reccoa joking about Quattro touching her butt, or all of them sitting down together for some cake.

They cut out huge portions of scenes that even establish these characters! They're little more than named extras in the movies.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zeta was non-stop plot. There was very little that could be cut without removing key details. There's almost no fluff in the TV series.

I don't see it. A lot of it was just the Argama floating around and getting attacked. Very few times did the status quo actually change. Neither side got an advantage over the other until Axis showed up. That did make things more interesting.

Really most of it was just heavy handed attempts to drive in the message that "THE TITANS ARE EVIL! DID WE MENTION THAT LATELY?!"

penguintruth wrote:
Four's second death was all about shedding pretenses about what they were doing. It was followed directly by "Day of Dakar", the heart and soul of the series (which they of course removed), where Char declares his intentions in front of the Federation government. The Kilamanjaro episodes are a vital lead-in and add another notch to the rivalry between Kamille and Jerid. It's taking things like that out that really made Jerid a nobody, and we got less of Jamitov as well.

And what all did Dakar change, really? Char convinced the Federation to stop supporting the Titans, sure, but there was no major change in how the Titans operated. They still had plenty of resources and fighting force to fall back on, and it's not like the Federation helped out the AEUG all that much.

The rivalry between Jerid and Camille had lots of notches in it already. Besides, even the TV series turned him into a nobody at the end.

penguintruth wrote:
I disagree thoroughly. Zeta Gundam isn't about reaping rewards, it's about sacrificing for the sake of others. Kamille paid the price for trying to change the world. And, I might add, he recovers at the end of Double Zeta. The hero coming out unscuffed from the final battle is complete nonsense when everyone around him was falling.

Also, without the Hyaku Shiki's remains floating by with the cockpit open, there's no indication that Char survived. He just kills himself in the fight with Haman for no reason.

But that's the thing. Camille sacrificed himself to change the world... And in the end it amounted to very little. They basically just traded the Titans for Neo Zeon and the AEUG was reduced to just the Argama.

Credit for him recovering goes entirely to Double Zeta (my favourite UC TV series), not Zeta.

And we know Char lives. We don't need it spelled out to us.

penguintruth wrote:
They cut out huge portions of scenes that even establish these characters! They're little more than named extras in the movies.

I know who they are, you know who they are. I know it's important for a work to stand on its own, but the movies were made for fans who already know this stuff. Besides, it's not like they were all that well established in the TV series. Reccoa's random defection, for instance, and her nonsensical men and women talk.

And it's not a sign of good characterization when absolutely everyone is happy to see Katz die.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:
I think what a lot of people need to understand is that a lot of Japanese animators and people in the anime industry hold a lot of reverence for Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam. A lot of the time they unwillingly add new animation into the mix, because they don’t want to mess with a classic. Kind of similar if someone wanted to re-do Star Wars and add all new footage and give the picture an “updated” look. I remember Shin Sasaki saying something like this at Otakon in 2012 when asked. That's also a reason why we are hearing no updates on Origins because the animators don’t know how to go about animating the series because of its status in Japanese culture and fandom.

Isn't the Origin going to be animated from scratch? If the staff at Sunrise are thinking of using the original Gundam 0079 footage and just adding new animation, that will be crazy. I want to think that Japanese audiences would like the Origin if it looks like Unicorn (I know I would).

I really wish I knew, but I have no idea. What I do know is every time someone brings up the question to Sunrise they dodged the question and basically have no idea on how they are going about animating it (or at least that’s what they have been saying at cons and in magazines.) I also hope it does have the same style as Gundam UC, as I'm sure everyone else does.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
And what all did Dakar change, really? Char convinced the Federation to stop supporting the Titans, sure, but there was no major change in how the Titans operated. They still had plenty of resources and fighting force to fall back on, and it's not like the Federation helped out the AEUG all that much.

I think it's imporant to note that the Titans really ARE the Federation, so it’s extremely difficult for the Federation assembly to excommunicate them but with that being said Dakar is 100% a turning point in the Gryps Conflict. Before Dakar the Titians had 100% support from the regular Federation military, but after Dakar you’ll notice less Federation assistance to the Titians and the assembly actively tries to break their ties with the Titians sometime after this spoiler[ Which I think has more to do with Jerid trying to kill everyone in the assembly which is captured on TV, but proving Char's point]. Still Jamitov has a lot of pull with the politicians and it isn’t until (I believe Episode 46, does he publicly admit to the Federation passing a bill to stop supporting him and the Titans)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9