• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Best Jeanist in a suit is the funniest thing I've seen all week. I couldn't stop laughing, despite the somber context. Laughing Best Suitist ftw!

Was there or will there be an explanation why those two were facing the wall in time-out, or who they were? I might've missed it in the infodump.

IIRC, it's because Deku hasn't awaken their powers yet. So, in a way, he's not in direct contact with them yet. But I read that manga part some time ago, so I don't remember the exact details.

A boring but needed episode. Oh, well. At least, it was more entertaining than reading the same infodump in black and white without voices or music. And the next arc is going to be pretty good, in terms of animation, at least.

Looking forward to next week!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Time for the dark times, although it does feel weird to know it is the final arc.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
So... the new twitter drama is that the sky is blue...

I don't get humans.
Biostar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
You need to infer that those are the second and the third and that they are somehow unhappy with the situation.

How was I supposed to infer that? I only know AFO's li'l bro (1), Shigaraki's gram (7), All Might (8) and the whip guy (?). Now we know Danger Dude was 4th? So without number tags, as far as I can keep track they could be 2, 3, 5 or 6. And is anyone there happy with the situation?

You infer it from the fact the first wielder told them they need to cooperate which imply they're purposefully refusing to do so.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:46 am Reply with quote
Basically what I'm getting from this is that the anime (and maybe the manga) offered no clear explanation, since I've gotten 4 different interpretations so far. Smile I think I'll just go with the idea that there are no heads in Deku's headspace. Anime catgrin
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:56 am Reply with quote
Really like the way Muscular was defeated. I find it hilarious how Deku noticed something was off about him when he tried to be smart and use tactics. Kudos to Shindo, aka Deku's lost brother, for that one.

I like how Horikoshi actually made the bunny mask look cool. Deku might be going through some stuff right now, but at least he's rocking that vigilante costume. Gran Torino's scarf is a sweet touch too.

I think it would've been cool if the show's color palette was toned down a little for this part of the story. Now that there's been a shift in the world of MHA, the bright and colorful palette doesn't really fit. Thankfully the next few episodes take place either at night or during rainy days, and the preview for next week is looking good
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Deku is not a vigilante, he has a license and All Might is supervising him because minor but people who calls him a vigilante are wrong.

If anything, it's Punished Deku Arc.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Lady Nagant makes a strong first impression, not just because her design and power are really cool, but because you can already tell there's more than meets the eye with her. We're told she's a hero turned villain who's evil enough to be imprisoned in Tartarus, and yet we see how she willingly chose to help Chisaki escape despite there being no benefit from it. "I thought I could use him," she tells herself, even though she has no idea who he is and all he can do in his current state is drag her down. But she chooses to rescue him anyway.

Another great episode. Honorable mention to the Ordinary Woman from the beginning of the episode. One of my favourite panels from the manga is the one where Deku does a little jump to hand her the umbrella and protect her from the rain. It's such a cute little moment.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I was always impressed by Nagat's quirk, it's such an eldritch abomination of idea, I would have never been able to create something so bizarre.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The art and animation these past couple of episodes has been great.

And props to Horikoshi for making such a cool and compelling character in a short amount of time. We only got to know Nagant for one and a half episodes, but I like how tightly packed her story was.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
On top of that, Fa Jin is kind of disappointing in its redundancy, providing a narrow and situational boost that feels way less unique than the other new Quirks.

I always found many of Deku's quirks to be pretty redundant. Float, Danger Sense, and Fa Jin, to be precise.

Float was disappointing since Deku could already "fly" thanks to nature of OFA and anime powers in general. And Danger Sense is just boring and unnecessary.

I prefer the ones that drastically change the way Deku fights, like Blackwhip or Smokescreen. The scenes where Deku swings around the city are always a treat, and Smokescreen is good for tactics for obvious reasons.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:06 am Reply with quote
This is the first episode to begin to sell me on this arc. I mean -- not that it was especially bad, before, but I'm still waiting for it to live up to the (strong) hype.

I kinda feel like this interaction's resolution was a bit too pat, and Lady Negant's turn-around too obvious, fast, and rote. Despite that, it was hard not to start fist-pumping when it became clear Deku was pulling out the win, and dragging her to his side, even if the mechanics of his victory were still kind've half narrative-voodoo.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
One of the greatest issues I have with MHA is that despite the narrative constantly criticising the hero system, its protagonist is unable to do anything to fix it, despite the power he has been given. No matter how good Deku's intentions are, he still ends up working for the system that birthed the villains he is fighting against. It doesn't seem like this will solve anything in the long run, since after AFO anybody else could just pop up. Yes Deku is noble for saving as much people as there are in front of him, but that's it. That's all he can do. He doesn't have the means - or any intention - to change anything socially when he already has his plate full trying to defeat one bad guy. No matter what Lady Nagant or anybody else says, Deku is too simplistic and short-sighted to use the power he has been given in order to bring forth any substantial change in his society. He might listen to their sad stories and nod in understanding and pity as he is cuffing them up, but that's as far as he goes. Then you're not a superhero dude, you're just a good police officer. Why am I watching your journey if you don't actively try to make your society better? Since catching a villain or two has been proved that it will not fix any problems.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
So you're complaining that a 16 year old kid hasn't solved all the world's problems with his superpowers? In the middle of being targeted for assassination or capture? Yep, he's really lying down on the job. Rolling Eyes

As it happens, he's lacking the superpower that makes everyone fall into line and do what he says, so even if he could come up with the perfect solution, he couldn't make anyone implement it. What you're asking of him is to do the job of all the world's superpowered adults, who haven't been able to figure it out yet either. And they never will, because humans always find ways to muck things up.

You don't want him to be a hero, you want him to be a god.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
One of the greatest issues I have with MHA is that despite the narrative constantly criticising the hero system, its protagonist is unable to do anything to fix it, despite the power he has been given. No matter how good Deku's intentions are, he still ends up working for the system that birthed the villains he is fighting against. It doesn't seem like this will solve anything in the long run, since after AFO anybody else could just pop up. Yes Deku is noble for saving as much people as there are in front of him, but that's it. That's all he can do. He doesn't have the means - or any intention - to change anything socially when he already has his plate full trying to defeat one bad guy. No matter what Lady Nagant or anybody else says, Deku is too simplistic and short-sighted to use the power he has been given in order to bring forth any substantial change in his society. He might listen to their sad stories and nod in understanding and pity as he is cuffing them up, but that's as far as he goes. Then you're not a superhero dude, you're just a good police officer. Why am I watching your journey if you don't actively try to make your society better? Since catching a villain or two has been proved that it will not fix any problems.

It sounds grounded and realistic to me, you can't fix the word with power, an excellent example it's world hungry.

We have the resources and technology to do it, but we can't because merely political and idealistic reasons, you can't go to some African country, punch the warlord in the face and fix everything like All Might tried to do with AFO.

"All Might was wrong" its the whole point of this arc.
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting since the All Might versus All-for-One fight for the show to finally dig into the idea of "Hey, maybe piling the expectations of society onto whoever stands at the top of a pyramid of heroes isn't great", so while I've been really satisfied with how this season has gone so far, I am especially excited to see what comes from this arc in particular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9