• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:19 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Wait, was that the last episode of the season? There was a next episode teaser at the end...

Yeah, i don't think calling this the season finale is quite accurate.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:03 am Reply with quote
I might be misremembering this, but I swear I recall someone saying a few episodes in, in this comment section or elsewhere, that Canute and Thorfinn never meet again.

Either way it was a really great scene, especially how much each of them had changed since when they travelled together, and how they ultimately resolved the issue of not only that farm but all the others in the kingdom.

My only gripe is that the rest feels a bit contrived with how it is described, everything else to do with Canute is all tied up in a fairy tale ending, almost like the author tried to finish off Canute's story in a rush.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I might be misremembering this, but I swear I recall someone saying a few episodes in, in this comment section or elsewhere, that Canute and Thorfinn never meet again.

Manga spoilers: spoiler[As of the most recent chapter, no, they haven't met again in-story. We have, however, checked in with Canute in the most recent chapter(it's been years)].
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
Epic finale. Now I get why Yabuta and Seko wanted the anime to start with Thors rather than Askeladd. It had to come full circle with the first mention of Vinland rather than warrior.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because Thorfinn has had facial hair ever since we were introduced to him as a slave and pacifist, but seeing him standing there clean-shaven and looking serious, made him look like a warrior again.

While I agree this season has been good, I am looking forward to them travelling again in the next season. Which hopefully will still be available on multiplatforms.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
Yukimura said the real reason he shaved Thorfinn is because he wanted to convey the idea the character is weak. Kinda like the opposite of what he did to Canute when he became king

Last edited by tintor2 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
There many places I would expect a Saint Seiya/Kurumada Launch reference, Vinland Saga was not one of those places.

Anyways, I am a little disillusioned with Torfinn's sister, I was expecting her to marry Einar, and her reaction to Torfinn being alive was 100% as I was expecting, but whatever.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
If you remember season 1 well Ylva married one of the guys who left with Thors who could easily tell he was in love with his daughter
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
I think there were at least 6 guys in love with her, I just thought she would be like "These wimps suck, I am better alone".

Now I wanna know how he got her to marry him, sounds like an interesting history.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
To be more specific it was the guy who tried talking with her sleepy in the morning. His hair was way shorter back then. In this episode I think he talked with the older Thorfinn who could remember him from the ship. The early manga volumes of the manga kinda exploited Ylva daily life but sadly we never saw the marriage
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Assuming they keep producing more Vinland Saga anime, do y'all think they'll expand on the "aborted arc" w/ spoiler[Constantinople] or just skip over it like in the manga?
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Kinda conflicted about episode 23. While I do believe the second half was absolutely masterful and emotionally rewarding, I have a hard time buying Canute's decision after all that went through and how calculating he is. Too many resources and time spent on nothing. I also don't believe Floki's men would just be "angry" at this outcome with no further consequences. It's like Thorfinn performed Naruto's talk no jutsu on Canute and I'm suddenly watching a shonen (no shade against Naruto, but it IS a different genre with a diff set of rules imo). If we speak in "character arc" terms, it all makes sense...but the minute I try to think about this realistically, it falls apart.

Overall I think this second season was great but some moments did get unnecessarily bloated with slow pacing and stretching some dramatic bits. But to end on a bright note, I never thought I'd say this but Olmar was one of the best wrriten character I've seen in recent times. Just beautiful AND believable.

Could someone point out if what Canute does here is, in any shape or form, based on a real event ? Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

The sea side scene is a famous one, but dramatically altered. Canute is noteworthily known and respected as a good king historically.

While technically Thorfin and Canute go their separate ways, the manga does flashback to moments where they seem to have spent more time together before Canute departs, and I think the next arc will have more encounters as Thorfin goes about recruiting members for the Vinland expedition.

Canute, if you recall, reluctantly took on the task he is on, despairing of the state of Vikings, and was being raised a Christian until he despaired. Thorfinn similarily woould secretly listen to the Gospels while on the farm. In his beaten up state there was an opportunity to draw a comparison to a Christ-like figure, but either way Canute realized that the Vikings could also produce a man like Thorfinn, who once a violent creature of vengeance, was now a gentle unselfish pacifist. Canute was always a softy at heart. The guilt of having to live up to the expectations of the crown, knowing there would always be conspirators about weighed on him alongiside his own scheming murderous sins. So it is believable that Thorfinn's confrontation offered him a way out.

Floki's men were promised compensation for their troubles, so long as they get their wealth, they don't care. Similarily, many of them were also moved by Thorfinn.

Anyway, great season! There were worries that this arc would be slower, but the drama was handled masterfully, that I believe that everyone was entertained! The next arc will bring back some more action balanced with drama as Thorfinn returns to regions of conflict and sees his pacifism further challenged, so look forward to it!
pi8you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Assuming they keep producing more Vinland Saga anime, do y'all think they'll expand on the "aborted arc" w/ spoiler[Constantinople] or just skip over it like in the manga?

I've been thinking that if they wanted to do anything with it, a movie would be the way to go. Just a nice little side adventure that doesn't directly have much impact on the main plot or character development.

As to the episode itself, that was a perfect cap to the season, bringing so much of the journey full circle, and I hope we get to continue it before too long (if for nothing else so that the anime-only folks can meet some more great characters).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The last episode had me legit tearing up when Thorfinn was reunited with his mother.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Everything coming full circle with this season finale was great as Thorfinn finally returns home and to his family, with all the call-backs, warm moments, humor, and general vibe that brought everything together. I hope we get season 3 but coupled with season 1 this truly was a strong way to close out even with the promise of more of Thorfinn's adventures in the future.

Favorite moments:

- Thorfinn wondering how old he is.

- Bug-Eye Thorfinn ruining the moment.

- Helga instantly recognizing Thorfinn and seeing Thors in him.

- Lief getting a good cry in.

- Helga accepting Einar as part of the family.

- Ylva being a Beast and knocking Thorfinn out in one punch with the power of Mjolnir.

- Helga pushing Thorfinn to go on his journey.

- The siblings reminiscing about their father.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9