• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching AnoHana, which I found to be quite melodramatic but I though it failed to be a very effective show. It felt a bit forced when the main characters were crying and their relationships appear to be a bit thin. Overall I rate it as decent, since I though it wasn't a bad show but it wasn't really very good. Given it was ranked very highly on the top 500 anime I was expecting something more, though. I can understand, though, how people can be moved by this show, even though it felt forced to me and I was greatly moved by very muscular stuff like Clannad: Afterstory.

I watched again another show about dead people, but this time it's on another artistic level, Haibane Renmei. That is a genuine masterpiece and is one of the three anime series (well, TV series actually!) that reduced me to tears. A show to be set as an artistic standard of how truly great animation can be and it's maybe the show I would recommend to snob people who don't know anime and claim it's not subtle and sophisticated. Its not my favorite anime series but it's a very close second place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well none of the character designs really felt attractive to me, some looked full on cartoony, while others were supposed to look more real. And the choice of washing the scenes with colours ranging fro lime green, lavender purples icy blues, etc, just did not appeal to me and was in fact distracting. It could be some sort of sensitivity issue on my part, an issue I have is supposed to be sensitivity to certain certain sights or sounds, although I rarely have problems with things that fill a shots up with colours that don't fit.

While I found the Tatami Galaxy to be a very good series I agree with you that the visuals are very limited and did not impress me at all. I like more glossy and complex commercial visuals (i.e. like those of Princess Mononoke).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So I finally finished FMA Sacred Star of Milos. A bit shocked that I came across it so late after the premiere. I have been a die hard fan of the franchise for years, since I first watched the first series.

Well, I think I would be more motivated to watch it if it was a continuation of Brotherhood, rather than an episode from the middle of the series. It features the Alchemy, the Elrics, glimpses of Mustang and Hawkeye and an idea stolen from the first FMA series (an city hidden underground, with a passage through a church), lots of action and talking people in and out of creating a philosopher's stone. But it lacks something, maybe a touch more humour, or a more gripping story- this one was a bit cloudy and muddled and random and characters hard to care about. So yeah, it lacks everything the series had except for the few main characters.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
After powering through I"s Pure — and ultimately having it melt my crusty heart somewhat — I've decided to watch the TV series Ah! My Goddess. Because I haven't seen it, and I find that embarrassing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
So I finally finished FMA Sacred Star of Milos. A bit shocked that I came across it so late after the premiere. I have been a die hard fan of the franchise for years, since I first watched the first series.

Well, I think I would be more motivated to watch it if it was a continuation of Brotherhood, rather than an episode from the middle of the series. It features the Alchemy, the Elrics, glimpses of Mustang and Hawkeye and an idea stolen from the first FMA series (an city hidden underground, with a passage through a church), lots of action and talking people in and out of creating a philosopher's stone. But it lacks something, maybe a touch more humour, or a more gripping story- this one was a bit cloudy and muddled and random and characters hard to care about. So yeah, it lacks everything the series had except for the few main characters.

You did better than me as I had a "no, no, no" mantra right from the start when Random Stranger came up with a new kind of alchemy that the Elric brothers never even heard of but which is based on runes instead of circles. {"So it's not alchemy then?"}. Then I realized that Bones was in full Fullmetal Alchemist "revisionist" mode {ie: making crap up that both conflicts with the universe and makes no sense. "Sloth" all over again...} so I just FF'ed through the rest of it.

In short, they kept Fullmetal but dropped the "Alchemist" part. Fullmetal Magician just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
This just arrived:

I'm rather chuffed. Though on cost per minute comparison I think it turned out to be more costly than the the Fate/Zero special edition. Still, it was overall only one-tenth the price and I know I would get more satisfaction backing this.

(I also think I should've got a smaller t-shirt. American XL is clearly larger the Oz XL.)

Last edited by Errinundra on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished watching that great epic, Legend of Galactic Heroes, I rated it as excellent. Has a million side characters, space battles featuring tens of thousands of battleships but that behave like ancient battles (which is natural given that this series was written by a PHD in Chinese history) and some very inspired talk about the value of democratic political institutions.

Despite being what's apparently considered one of the masterpieces of the canon I though that the poor animation and lack of artistry (in terms of compositions, scenes, edition, etc, being very conservative in execution) made this epic tale fail to be a 100% masterpiece but it is still something that I am extremely glad to have watched.
HoshiNoMiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Scanning through Netflix last night my uncle told me to look for an anime that him, my dad and myself would all enjoy. After some digging around I wound up throwing on Mushi-shi. My dad wasn't all that into it, but it was rather up my uncle's and my alley. I'm going to watch the rest of it on Netflix and probably go hunting for the series on DVD when I get the chance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
I totally just saw Maou and Chiho in the second Minami-ke Omatase OVA. Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I'm almost through watching Air. A nomadic puppeteer named Yukito Kunisaki is in search of the girl flying high in the skies. He encounters a blonde named Misuzu Kamio, who seems burdened by solitude and sorrow. As they try to enjoy their summer to their fullest, they undergo some dramatic moments with other townspeople they see along the way that could change their lives forever...
This show has one of the most tragic endings that I've seen yet... Sad

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
I just finished The Vision of Escaflowne and rated it excellent. The story's been done before, to be sure, but it's pretty rare to see a story so well-executed. I don't think there was a single character I disliked by the end (although I was starting to wonder if Allen might secretly be a bit of a douchebag...at the very least, he bounces back fast), and when Van spoiler[crashed through the fate machine and hugged Hitomi], I might have shed a tear or two. It's pretty impressive how just when I was starting to groan at how hokey it was (spoiler[somewhere between Atlantis being powered by human will and Isaac Newton being the villain because science is gross]), the story really picked up and made me really believe in what was going on. The last third was just one emotional gut-punch after the next! xD

I watched the show because I've been meaning to get to it forever and I thought the fact that it's a seed in the upcoming Best World-Building tournament was a good enough excuse to finally watch it. I'm somewhat partial to the "normal girl gets whisked away to another world" premise, so it's a bit shameful that it took me this long to get to this classic.

Speaking of that tournament, I'm planning to move on to another series from my backlog that was nominated for it. Right now I'm looking at Beast Player Erin and The Rose of Versailles, both of which have been in my CR queue for a while. I've seen the first episodes of both, but I want some opinions--which one should I watch first?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Since all currently available episodes are up on Funimation's site, I figure now's a good time to start watching Fairy Tail
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Since all currently available episodes are up on Funimation's site, I figure now's a good time to start watching Fairy Tail

Hope you like it, I really did. I actually just got done talking about it with my sister that just decided to catch up on the series, watching a couple scenes with her, although I really wanted to talk about some of the highlights that she was not up to yet.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Speaking of that tournament, I'm planning to move on to another series from my backlog that was nominated for it. Right now I'm looking at Beast Player Erin and The Rose of Versailles, both of which have been in my CR queue for a while. I've seen the first episodes of both, but I want some opinions--which one should I watch first?

I depends on what you want to watch, I like The Rose of Versailles better, It has a better drama in my opinion, but Beast Player Erin is very good too, although you have to be prepared that it is aimed at children. I also think that Beast Player Erin has a better world-building, so it may be more useful to watch it before the tourney.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I've just started watching Black Lagoon - 3 episodes in - and I am already in love. I was surprised as the show had me laughing out load so much, pretty much from the get go.

I look forward to seeing how Rock's character develops and I love Balalaika's character - That being said I like all of the main cast so far, non are unnecessary or annoying and its refreshing to see them all so laid back. Each has their own history which will be reviled as the series progresses which I look forward to.

I will say that I am not a fan of the opening song but I am a fan of the ending theme, as eerie as it was the first time it kicked in.

So far this gets a definite thumbs up. I'm excited to carry on! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 777 of 1062