• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mandalay Pictures Licenses Full Metal Panic! Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I have my preferences, you have yours.
Now if only everyone thought like that, we'd have less flame wars. (Especially in the review threads since apparently none of ANN's reviewers like certain genres, resulting in instant bad marks.)

enurtsol wrote:
See, it's these kinds of movies like Cruel Intentions** that even has pseudo-incest which anime fans like but won't watch in live-action, only in 2D anime. :lol
Seen Cruel Intentions too. Actually, I have a crew jacket from that movie and a standee and a press kit. I was at one point an even bigger Sarah Michelle Gellar fan than a Neve fan. (And Selma Blair was in it too. Yummy.)

enurtsol wrote:
Box Office Mojo: March was off a whopping 16 percent from February... Watchmen was the top-grossing picture of March at $103.8 million, paling compared to the leaders of March 2008 (Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! at $118.8 million) and 2007 (300 at $176.5 million). The fate of March was largely pinned on Watchmen, which was always going to be a tough sell based on its non-mainstream source material, diffuse storyline, lack of heroes and other factors. Expectations were so unrealistically high that it was the sole new nationwide release for the first weekend of the month, and overall business suffered from that dearth of counter-programming.

Expectations, that's what's it's all about. Neutral
Exactly what I was hitting at. People looked at it and thought "oh, this has super heroes, it'll be as big as all of the other super hero blockbusters!" They didn't see the material for what it was. (From what I've read, it's very much a deep plot with lots of grey-morality characters.)

Honestly, I think if the core plot elements and story concepts were kept in, an FMP! movie could work. This is actually a story that I think people could really enjoy since at it's core, it's a fish-out-of-water-with-a-bodyguard-crush story. The Amalgam terrorists really just provide the badass moments for the bodyguard to show his skills and for his love interest to prove she's not a classic damsel in distress.

I doubt Hollywood's ability to make it work though. (But as long as they keep Uwe Boll away from it, there is a chance.)
perpetual159

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Honestly, I think if the core plot elements and story concepts were kept in, an FMP! movie could work. This is actually a story that I think people could really enjoy since at it's core, it's a fish-out-of-water-with-a-bodyguard-crush story. The Amalgam terrorists really just provide the badass moments for the bodyguard to show his skills and for his love interest to prove she's not a classic damsel in distress.

I doubt Hollywood's ability to make it work though. (But as long as they keep Uwe Boll away from it, there is a chance.)

Indeed... knowing Hollywood, they would probably try to cram every sub-plot and theme in, and by the time the film goes through editing and God knows what else, we'll be left with gibberish, pictures, and lots of banging noise and perhaps lots of things blowing up.

I think that if FMP! actually makes it anywhere, and if the material is respected for what it is, to make it work in a live-action environment, they would actually have to make a series of films... kind of like what they did with Lord of the Rings. There is just too much going on in FMP to slap it all into, say--as far as action movies go--an hour and a half to two hours.

I'm not saying the FMP! movies have to be as long as LOTR, but it should at least follow the same concept. Problem is, however, I think they--should a movie ever be made--is just a way for people to get money from a bunch of otakus who--despite whining and bitching--will probably go and see it, anyway, thus we are most likely going to be left with a total mockery of what FMP!'s true nature and core is... much the same way as what has happened with Dragonball Z.

Nonetheless, I reiterate again that I am at least happy with the attention FMP! is getting... it will HOPEFULLY entice the original franchises (GONZO, Kyoto Animations, Shikidouji, Tokyopop, Kadokawa, etc.) to produce more material for its fans, if not to right the wrongs (should the movie turn out to be an insult to all their hard work), then to take advantage of the situation and make money as well.

Whatever the case may be... I just hope more FMP! material becomes available to the public. It's a favorite of mine, and it is time and money well invested, for the sake of my sanity, and a great cure for boredom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
See, it's these kinds of movies like Cruel Intentions** that even has pseudo-incest which anime fans like but won't watch in live-action, only in 2D anime. Laughing

Seen Cruel Intentions too. Actually, I have a crew jacket from that movie and a standee and a press kit. I was at one point an even bigger Sarah Michelle Gellar fan than a Neve fan. (And Selma Blair was in it too. Yummy.)

How many otaku are into live-action teenager movies? Laughing

perpetual159 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Indeed... knowing Hollywood, they would probably try to cram every sub-plot and theme in, and by the time the film goes through editing and God knows what else, we'll be left with gibberish, pictures, and lots of banging noise and perhaps lots of things blowing up.

And don't forget make-out 53X! Laughing
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
See, it's these kinds of movies like Cruel Intentions** that even has pseudo-incest which anime fans like but won't watch in live-action, only in 2D anime. Laughing

The ones that are teenagers o,o
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I agree with you...it's just the idea of Zac Efron playing Sousuke makes me want to run out and play in traffic.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
I have my preferences, you have yours.
Now if only everyone thought like that, we'd have less flame wars. (Especially in the review threads since apparently none of ANN's reviewers like certain genres, resulting in instant bad marks.)

Fortunately some of us grow up to get used to it, and carry our own opinions. However, we don't go onto the forums and throw those opinions at the reviewers like they are the seven year olds. And then there are those people who like to be plain spammers and trolls, and will go into the forums just looking for excuses to start flame wars.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The ones that are teenagers o,o

I don't think even. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I do have to wonder how many people are typecasting Effron based on one role, and based on their responses whether their judgment is not clouded how little they have actually seen (I have only ever seen him in HSM and since I've never seen any of it on purpose cannot really judge his acting talent based on that - how many complainers can actually say they aren't in the same boat?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cneajna01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
Quote:
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though this movie can be adapted to an American HS more easily.

This was my initial reaction. I wouldn't expect a faithful adaption here, just use of the name and concept. Make it a spin-off based in the same universe or something, make references to Mithril, and maybe even Japanese events. Something like that could actually work, make it canon rather than an alternative or a re-do.

Emerje

I really don't think this movie will ever be made. Just ask yourself if Sousuke carrying a loaded pistol into his high school or setting off explosives on campus would work.

It just doesn't fit... especially this post-Columbine-VT shooting stuff.

To top it all off, isn't Sagara from Afganistan

This seems more idle speculation then actual fact so I'm not holding my breath. Zac will be in his 30's before this gets made so theres not much point casting him as Sagara

Heh....well they could always say that Sousuke's from Helmajistan...lol.
cneajna01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...I've been researching extensively for information on this news. After checking website after website...every last one of them quotes the exact same article. I wish there was more info on it right now....but I guess I'll have to wait. Although based on what the article's are saying...I'm not too sure what to think about this. At first I was enraged. Now I've had a little bit of time to calm down and accept that if it is made....I'll still love the anime regardless...so it doesn't really matter in the end. Not too sure about Zac Efron though. I honestly haven't seen HSM...so I have no right to comment on his acting abilities. After Googling some pictures of him just to see if he could even look the part of Sousuke, I actually think that he may be able to pull the look off okay. Needs some roughing up...but he kind of does have a look that may be suitable to play Sousuke. I'm just really skeptical of Hollywood's ability to make a decent movie of this. I haven't seen Dragon Ball Evolution...and probably won't based off of the previews. With that said...it's not looking too promising that they will do a better job of FMP. But who knows? They might. Over the years they have been able to pull off some really awesome American comic book live action movies...so they might surprise us all. I really hope so! There are things about turning FMP into a live action movie that might or might not work though. Things that might work: FMP revolves mainly in the life of high school, has the awkward romance, and the general plot could be pretty easy to pull off. Although...there is the point of the comedy. Most of the comedy in FMP is over the top, slap stick humor...and a good part of it revolves around Sousuke's antics at school where he brings weapons and blows sh*t up! Not too sure how that will fit in for an American audience...as bringing weapons to school is obviously a touchy subject. I guess we'll see what happens. Hell...it might not even get made. Lets just hope that this will be the anime that Hollywood doesn't screw up!
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Not being a huge fan of FMP! myself (it just hasn't really done it for me, emotionally, imaginatively, or aesthetically), I find myself a bit more confident about this project as opposed to a lot of the other working anime adaptations out there right now. I have to toss my mind way, way out into the snow to imagine ways for them to completely f*** this one up. Assuming they're adapting the equivalent of the first series, there's not a lot I can really see them wanting to change, and there's also not a lot I can see destroying the whole concept if omitted. Of the anime I've seen, FMP! feels like one of the safer bets for a Hollywood movie.

As for the casting of Zac Efron, it seems like little more than a reach for the younger demographic (assuming the project is wrapped soon). I doesn't surprise me; it certainly doesn't thrill me. Recalling what I do of Sosuke, I'm also not exactly devastated. Soskue is one of those characters whose deadpan comedic timing is almost entirely in the hands of the writer and director. I don't remember a whole lot that makes it seem like a very demanding role, other than physically, maybe.

I need to watch FMP! again. Perhaps after doing so I'll see the error of my views and come back to deliver the rage of the century. But in the meantime, I'm finding myself surprisingly "meh" about the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
cneajna01 wrote:
Scamp wrote:
Quote:
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

This was my initial reaction. I wouldn't expect a faithful adaption here, just use of the name and concept. Make it a spin-off based in the same universe or something, make references to Mithril, and maybe even Japanese events. Something like that could actually work, make it canon rather than an alternative or a re-do.

Emerje

I really don't think this movie will ever be made. Just ask yourself if Sousuke carrying a loaded pistol into his high school or setting off explosives on campus would work.

This seems more idle speculation then actual fact so I'm not holding my breath. Zac will be in his 30's before this gets made so theres not much point casting him as Sagara

Which is the name for Afghanistan after it was was successfully re invaded by the Soviet Union in FMP's alternate universe. Along with the air craft hijacking that was one of the reasons why the initial airing was delayed after 9/11. He is of Japanese descent, he was raised in Afghanistan though so it's not completely out of place to consider him an Afghan. The question of him being played by a white actor or not is silly though. Take light in death note for instance. who looks more like him? The guy who played him in the movie? Or Zac Efron?

As for the problem with guns in school, and some point or another belief has to be suspended for a concept to work. To top it off, guns are even more out of place in a Japanese High school than in an American high school <.<
UrzuSe7en

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I say Hell No! those who are true fans know for a fact that ... that.. boy! could never play as the bad ass Sousuke Sagura! If anything.. that little preppy boy Zac whats his face could be Leonard testarosa.. it will be great to see him get killed since as we know bad guys ALWAYS get killed in the end
UrzuSe7en

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

I agree with you...it's just the idea of Zac Efron playing Sousuke makes me want to run out and play in traffic.

yes.. I agree with this.. if it were to happen I would join you.
UrzuSe7en

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
cneajna01 wrote:
Scamp wrote:
Quote:
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Emerje

Which is the name for Afghanistan after it was was successfully re invaded by the Soviet Union in FMP's alternate universe. Along with the air craft hijacking that was one of the reasons why the initial airing was delayed after 9/11. He is of Japanese descent, he was raised in Afghanistan though so it's not completely out of place to consider him an Afghan. The question of him being played by a white actor or not is silly though. Take light in death note for instance. who looks more like him? The guy who played him in the movie? Or Zac Efron?

As for the problem with guns in school, and some point or another belief has to be suspended for a concept to work. To top it off, guns are even more out of place in a Japanese High school than in an American high school <.<

just to make a side note for this. No. Sousuke is not from Afganistan... infact it is unknown where his true location of birth is. thats all i say. if i say more i could ruin the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10