• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Knack for balancing...Golden Kamuy had a great season 1 with a serious story. Season 2 the story has come off the rails and they go out of their way to insert terrible humor that isn't even funny. Now it's episode after episode of gay jokes that are beyond dumb. It's like watching two different shows. The only thing staying the same is Ashiripa's love of eating brains.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Knack for balancing...Golden Kamuy had a great season 1 with a serious story. Season 2 the story has come off the rails and they go out of their way to insert terrible humor that isn't even funny. Now it's episode after episode of gay jokes that are beyond dumb. It's like watching two different shows. The only thing staying the same is Ashiripa's love of eating brains.

That's not what it feels like to me. To me it feels like they are softening us up for a very beautiful but very tragic ending. it's like the show is embarrassed about what it's about to do to us, or sorry, so it's stalling. Asirpa WAS the comedy in the first season. I started getting worried when she wasn't in the second, and it felt like they were trying to keep her away from us. I love her character. But again, this has a tragedy feel. I hope I'm reading it all wrong.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well, i'm not a gay guy but i can still appreciate some muscled nudity (the chest hair is a bit too much for me, though... ) and this season works a lot better for me, i really like the balance of silly and serious parts.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Usually, I get annoyed when disabled characters in media are shown using "superpowers," but human echolocation is a real skill that some blind people have taught themselves, and I'm really impressed that Noda included it in his story. Not that it would make a blind man an expert marksman, but Golden Kamuy is over-the-top with all its action scenes (and gags!), so I'll let that go.

As for gags, I don't think Golden Kamuy is any more over-the-top than JoJo, but I like the story better (sorry, JoJo fans) and *LOVE* Asirpa, and the way Asirpa is always treated with respect. I'm glad the "fanservice" in an action anime is coming from adult men rather than a teenage girl for once! (Well, mostly adult men. They did have a little kid's dick in one scene this ep...but even when it went for humor and action, the nudity in this episode really wasn't sexual, so there's that, too).

Feeling really bad for Inkarmat. I'm shipping her with Tanigaki now, but something tells me that even as he rescued her this ep, there's no way they'll get a happy ending. This is just not a "happy ending" type of show.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All these teams coming together promises a fun new arc for Golden Kamuy.

HUE
spoiler[It won't be fun at all, prepare to cry.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
That was an incredibly exciting episode! Obviously, identifying Noperrabo wasn't going to be that easy, but I wasn't sure how many twists to expect.
1. The man in the cell is not Noperrabo; does Hijikata *really* know where the actual Noperrabo is?
2. Tsurumi crashed the party, as expected
3. Inkarmat might have tipped off Tsurumi, not surprising (although I'm sympathetic towards her, her motivations and allegiances are complicated)
On Inkarmat, her prophesy was specifically that *she* would die before seeing Wilk again, which is why when she heard Wilk was killed, she thought her prophesy was wrong, and when she heard rumors that he was still alive, she was convinced she would die soon. That's why Tanigaki saving her from drowning convinced her that her fate changed---but to prove it, she must see Wilk again.
Cikapasi giving Tanigaki her bowl was so sweet, and the subsequent conversation between Inkarmat and Tanigaki so heartfelt, I can't help but root for them---knowing full well that there's probably a lot of pain ahead for them...
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Asirpa has a way of magically making every adult in her vicinity want to be her parents, but I'm not sure how well that would work on the twisted mind of Tsurumi.

I won't deny Tsurumi being twisted, but you make it sound like the rest of the cast is perfectly normal which couldn't be further from the truth...and it's not like there's no reason for his craziness, i mean, we quite literally saw his brains leak out this episode. Shocked Which makes me kinda curious about his personality pre-injury.

But i defintely agree that he's a fun villain to watch, he's a bit like Sato from Aiin in that respect.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I won't deny Tsurumi being twisted, but you make it sound like the rest of the cast is perfectly normal which couldn't be further from the truth....

Point taken. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
that ace is Asirpa, separated from the guys who care about her (Sugimoto, Shiraishi, and Tanigaki)
Shiraishi is with Asirpa.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
that ace is Asirpa, separated from the guys who care about her (Sugimoto, Shiraishi, and Tanigaki)
Shiraishi is with Asirpa.

Thanks, not sure how that happened. It's been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
^Shiraishi's not gonna help much, I suspect...

GOLDEN KAMUY was my #AOTY and it didn't get *nearly* as much attention or fan love as it deserved. We should be telling all of anime fandom (especially the JoJo Stans) to check it out and binge it before New Year's so it gets some good streaming numbers in...

That finale was fantastic and has me chomping at the bit for the American release of the manga to catch up with Japan. Also a third season. We need more Asirpa chitatap goodness! Hinna, hinna!

Getting into the nuts and bolts:
---Poor Inkarmat!
---I wonder if are supposed to be giving Kiroranke the benefit of the doubt because he didn't mean to stab Inkarmat, even though he ordered Nopperabo killed. It's very possible a third party killed the other Ainu warriors in their group---maybe Nopperabo or Kiroranke went to a third party without telling the other (rogue Russian or Japanese soldiers, say) and were betrayed by that party or either government, but each blamed the other? I definitely think there's more to the story here...

---Thanks for giving some context to the Inudou/Hijikata feud. I'm definitely hazy on the details of actual Japanese history and where this anime differs. It's my understanding that Hijikata had died in real life by this point in time. Was he actually imprisoned by the Meiji government, or is that creative license too? (In any case, I love his depiction as a badass elder swordsman!)

---Kano Ienaga's quote about eating brains was a straight up Hannibal Lector reference! I love the movie homages in this show!

---Anybody know what happened to Cikapasi? I mean, I'm glad the kid's not in danger, but did they just leave him to wander like a stray with the doggo?

---Asirpa is a precious citatap and must be protected! (...she wouldn't know what a cinnamon roll is! Very Happy)

Hope the adventure continues soon!
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This was not exactly AOTY for me but i enjoyed this season a lot more than the first one!

The balance of comedy and drama, casually learning about history and (Ainu) culture, learning that over-the-top violence and muscleman fanservice can go hand in hand and - most importantly - the quirky yet surprisingly deep characters turned this show into a really unique and fun experience.

I would definitely been on board for more!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed this half of the show more than I did the first, it was fine and got better towards the end, but this half has been consistently good, and the art has improved over the first half for the most part. I just hope that there is a second season, this would be a really bad place to end it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that it turned out to be a pretty great adaptation of the manga after all, wonky CGI bears aside.
asilenttree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Asirpa, separated from the guys who care about her (mainly, Sugimoto and Tanigaki) to be a pawn in Kiroranke's political games. Inkarmat was right about him all along, but she also might be dying.

I think it's also important to note that Inkarmat purposefully stabbed herself using Kiroanke's knife, so she is still just as shady as him at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10