• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
As a long time Bleach fan and watcher of the anime I'm glad that Wendee will reprise her role, she does have a distinctive voice and obviously enjoys voicing her. Does this mean I am racist? No of course it doesn't. I'm definitely not racist, never have been and never will be.

This whole situation should never have happened and I feel sorry for Anairis, I'm glad she's still in the production though. It didn't help that Wendee poorly handled her response on X and stalked the comments from fellow VAs making silly remarks that definitely were not warranted and made her look bad. I'm glad she apologised but she should have never done it in the first place.

As for my whole take on voice acting, everyone should get equal opportunity to voice characters based on their talent and more importantly their VOICE. I do understand their complaints about opportunities not always being granted to them but at the end of the day it's the voice that makes that character work.

We all have favourites, especially for long running shows and I'm not a fan of recasting a well established character unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I'm not a fan of supporting a certain actor getting a role purely because of their race either, if they're talented enough to get it then that's good enough reason to get it. Being chosen purely because of the colour of their skin to me smacks of not appreciating their talent but just ticking a box or trying to be relevant which is an insult to the actor.
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
I dunno if I subscribe to some conspiracy theory that Studiopolis is lying. It matches up with what Wendee Lee said about scheduling issues. It seems like some people just want there to be more to this story than there actually is for the sake of drama.

I'm glad the original VA was able to return at any rate. I think shows should always try to be consistence with VAs and nobody likes recasts of iconic characters and voices. If this was a reboot of Bleach then recasting everyone like they did in Rurouni Kenshin would be fine IMO, but it's meant to be a continuation of the existing anime and adapting the manga chapters that were never animated so being as consistent as they can is for the best since that's what Japan does as well.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I understand the desire to have casting carry over from show to show. But this isn't like the Digimon Tri/LEK/movie dubs, where there are no characters specifically coded as POC. I think they should have rolled with this and let Anairis Quiñones shine. There are a million other parts out there for Wendee Lee.

There's also a million other parts for Anairis Quiñones, by your logic. Why does she need this one Wendee Lee role specifically? You act like Quiñones was just been blacklisted from the industry and will no longer get any future roles because of this mix-up.

But it's not about either of the VAs. It's about the fans. Fans want the original VA, so they made it a priority to get as many back as they could aside from the ones who retired, were too expensive, or were blacklisted, and in this instance they messed up because of scheduling and other factors. Fans of the show did not ask for Bleach to be dragged into an argument about race or casting. They just want to watch their anime their preferred way with the cast they like. That's what Viz and Studiopolis' priority should be at the end of the day, not making arbitrary political statements

Quote:
And another thing: Why is Studiopolis only coming out with a statement now?

Because ANN asked them for a comment, according to the article. I imagine they didn't think it was a big enough deal to comment on until asked directly. They never announced the recast in the first place either.
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
As a long time Bleach fan and watcher of the anime I'm glad that Wendee will reprise her role, she does have a distinctive voice and obviously enjoys voicing her. Does this mean I am racist? No of course it doesn't. I'm definitely not racist, never have been and never will be.

This whole situation should never have happened and I feel sorry for Anairis, I'm glad she's still in the production though. It didn't help that Wendee poorly handled her response on X and stalked the comments from fellow VAs making silly remarks that definitely were not warranted and made her look bad. I'm glad she apologised but she should have never done it in the first place.

As for my whole take on voice acting, everyone should get equal opportunity to voice characters based on their talent and more importantly their VOICE. I do understand their complaints about opportunities not always being granted to them but at the end of the day it's the voice that makes that character work.

We all have favourites, especially for long running shows and I'm not a fan of recasting a well established character unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I'm not a fan of supporting a certain actor getting a role purely because of their race either, if they're talented enough to get it then that's good enough reason to get it. Being chosen purely because of the colour of their skin to me smacks of not appreciating their talent but just ticking a box or trying to be relevant which is an insult to the actor.

Well said Sir.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:11 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
I dunno if I subscribe to some conspiracy theory that Studiopolis is lying. It matches up with what Wendee Lee said about scheduling issues. It seems like some people just want there to be more to this story than there actually is for the sake of drama.

I think chalking it up to a conspiracy theory is pretty naive when even people who are working in the industry or understand this specific situation more than random forum posters, many of whom don't pay attention to dubs beyond a show or two period, are calling it out. There's literal video of Wendee Lee months prior bringing up how she's been actively asking the crew about when Yoruichi shows up. Unless somehow Studiopolis magically swapped entire ADR crews in-between batches, it's just not plausible they would have recast, recorded a role, given said new actress permission to announce after NDAs, and released the episode "by mistake." TYBW is not even a simuldub, they have a larger window than most dubs coming out today. There was also zero mention of an innocent casting/scheduling flub found in Anairis' announcement nor follow-up.

But at the end of the day, we're obviously never going to know what happened as its between those involved and at this point it should probably stay that way for everyone's sakes and sanity. Especially given how off-topic and misinformed some of the tangents here have become.
Anime_Dawn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
Honestly I don't buy it (the statement) specifically because it happens to match so conveniently to Wendee Lee's temper tantrum, despite it not making sense at all logically, it reeks to me of her throwing a fit and people saying it to try to get her to calm down and stop harassing people.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I sort of randomly saw this topic in passing, but I cant help but look at it (keeping in mind, I watch the subs; so barring any cast changes on the JP side, I have no horse in this race) and be reminded of Solid Snake's VA David Hayter. Kojima recast his role with Kiefer Sutherland for the last Metal Gear project Kojima would ultimately work on with Konami, and it was a bit of an earth-shattering recast because Solid Snake is probably as iconic as iconic gets - he literally sounded the same as he did on PS1 all the way up to the PS3 era.

Now before I continue, I want to point out that I question sometimes if David Hayter is actually a competent voice actor. He has a really good range as Solid Snake, particularly when the goofier moments in the series happen, but hearing him try to adjust to portraying Old Snake in MGS4 on PS3 (even though the aging was medically-induced and suddenly-onset), it wasn't the most comfortable of performances I've ever heard. There's touches of moments in all MGS titles where clearly the performance isn't on a level of Shakespearean theatre, the likes of which you see from actors like Patrick Stewart, even when they're in garbage fires like Lords of Shadow.

The thing is, David Hayter is Solid Snake to folks that speak English. The same way that Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel are Goku on DBZ in their respective dubs. Out of nowhere, Kojima tosses Hayter out on MGS5 in favor of Kiefer Sutherland without really any sort of warning, and Hayter has had some words about it over the years. It really looked/felt like a betrayal at a glance, both to the actor and the fans.

...yet I also think that having Sutherland swap in to portray an older Snake wasn't exactly a bad call from a purely technical standpoint. That said, I still can see how Hayter could have taken it personally.

As a Bleach fan, Yoruichi in my mind (and based of the JP dub) hits a lower register and can tend to have a more masculine vibe now & again, especially when she gets serious, and one of the reasons I've not cared for the Bleach ENG dub was that I never felt like that depth was ever captured in the acting. Lee is amazing as Faye from Bebop and Rozalin from Disgaea, but I'm not 100% convinced she matches so well as Yoruichi. I'm not as familiar with Quinones' acting but a quick scan of some of her voices on YT also make me question how punchy her lower-registers are for a character like Yoruichi. If I was personally doing the casting, I'd have originally gone an entirely different direction than hiring either Lee or Quinones in the first place.

So that said, as a viewer, I have to imagine the Solid Snake rule applies. It sucks as a fan to know a character for so long and suddenly have them sound different, especially when a big part of Bleach coming back is for the nostalgia and completionism of finally getting to see the conclusion for it. I can see there's a lot more nuance to the situation than can really be covered in an off-the-cuff forum topic, but mark my words.....

David Hayter is back for Metal Gear Delta, and that alone is going to do well to sell copies of that game to anyone that's been burned by Konami.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
The thing is, David Hayter is Solid Snake to folks that speak English. The same way that Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel are Goku on DBZ in their respective dubs. Out of nowhere, Kojima tosses Hayter out on MGS5 in favor of Kiefer Sutherland without really any sort of warning, and Hayter has had some words about it over the years. It really looked/felt like a betrayal at a glance, both to the actor and the fans.

Kojima had tried replacing him in MGS3, or might have been 4, because he wanted Kurt Russel instead. Hayter had to re-audition for the role.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Why is there always so much drama around US anime dubs? Will that side of the industry ever evolve?

Surprising no one here. Japanese dubs are built differently.

Eh...video games, sure, but that is definitely not always the case when it comes to anime. Casting has happened in which the original actors weren't involved.

And we'll, we live in the US. I don't know if you've read scandals or "drama" linked to Japanese voice actors but it has happened. Casting drama though? Not sure, but I think that it would've certainly been handled differently.

Also, sorry that some of your full message isn't showing. I accidentally deleted it and didn't realize it when I posted. It's hard to edit on a phone Embarassed
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Kojima had tried replacing him in MGS3, or might have been 4, because he wanted Kurt Russel instead. Hayter had to re-audition for the role.

I have heard that. It also should be mentioned that sometimes (and particularly at JP companies) the re-audition can sometimes be more of a "formality" or an easy softball that is meant more as a guarantee that the same actor resumes the role. Quite frankly I don't doubt Kojima was chomping at the bit to go work with a more established actor for quite some time in hindsight.

"Without any sort of warning" is more or less what it looked like to players that picked up Ground Zeros and weren't aware of the goings on with Hayter's contract - there was a lot of speculation in the lead to the game's release that he was going to be brought in for some sort of a younger Snake cameo somewhere but off the top of my head, it never wound up happening and served as a bit of a conclusive nail in the coffin when Hayter was publicly voicing his distaste for how the whole thing went down.

I look at this Bleach situation and I think the thing that compels me to throw my two cents in is just that a lot of times the English localisation for games or anime is a financial afterthought to the parent company (the story of how the original PS1 MGS was dubbed is WEIRD), and I wish the VA industry here was a lot more pro-actor's rights, less "closed doors, tight circle", and that there was more of a reverence for making sure the character continues to sound the same.

Someone had brought up Persona 3 earlier, and it's highly bizarre that the company that put a Char Aznable cameo/homage into Persona 5 and not only asked the JP actor that voices Char to play the role, but that they got current ENG Char to voice that same character then turned around and ditched the original P3 cast for what are mostly soundalikes. I have to imagine it's purely just because they figured if they had to replace Vic, they may as well go nuclear - but it's mainly just speculation at this point. Maybe the staff will talk & reveal more about the casting changes after the game releases.

Bottom line for me is that a BIG part of what keeps me away from enjoying 90% of English dubs is that the ENG cast rarely ever hits the dynamic range of emotion and expressiveness in their delivery as the JP version. On the worst end of it we get a Mega Man X4 dub, on the best end of it, we get something like Persona 4 where instead of "-kuma kuma" after each Teddy line, we get "Bear-y hungry" puns.

FF7R is a really amazing case of Square reconciling the fact that for ages their English cast had been incredibly mismatched to the spirit of the FF7 cast and I absolutely advise giving the ENG dub of FF7R a chance with how much attention to detail got put into it. That's a great example of what GOOD recasting looks like. I just never thought that way about stuff like Naruto or Bleach's ENG dubs so I've always stayed away and kept with the subtitled versions.
RobTilInfinity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It was real easy for them to throw the black VA away but what else is new. I know Anaris gonna bounce and hopefully can put this behind her. Also that statement from the studio was some BS but I digress
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
RobTilInfinity wrote:
It was real easy for them to throw the black VA away but what else is new. I know Anaris gonna bounce and hopefully can put this behind her. Also that statement from the studio was some BS but I digress

Anairis Quinones is still the sole voice actor for two other characters in the series. So, they didn't "throw away" the black VA. She's just not currently voicing a third character.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:

TBH, I think your post here is 1 of the best takes in this thread.
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
"Without any sort of warning" is more or less what it looked like to players that picked up Ground Zeros and weren't aware of the goings on with Hayter's contract - there was a lot of speculation in the lead to the game's release that he was going to be brought in for some sort of a younger Snake cameo somewhere but off the top of my head, it never wound up happening and served as a bit of a conclusive nail in the coffin when Hayter was publicly voicing his distaste for how the whole thing went down.

It definitely felt like a slap in the face what Kojima did, and he had the opportunity to make it actually fit the plot and narrative twist in MGSV like how Persona 5 did the same with recasting Igor, but it ended up just because Kojima is a huge Hollywood fan and wanted big actors on his projects. I guess it's kind of like when they cast celebrities in animated films rather than dedicated voice actors, even if it's based on an existing cartoon or something. Incidentally Snake kept his Japanese VA throughout all this. I suppose Konami has the chance to earn some goodwill by bringing back Hayter for Snake Eater.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:40 pm Reply with quote
RobTilInfinity wrote:

that wont take long.

now that kadokawa has announced a season 3 for irregular at magic high school, its a given that anaris will return to reprise her role as miyuki shiba!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10