• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
I don't think I could like kamina's character as much if I knew jack black was the voice. Well it's still early in the series maybe in a few episodes he will find a better tone for kamina. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still dubbing as fast as things went after bandai picked this series up.
sj21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first 2 episodes that i recorded and found it really good. The dub fits the characters except Kamina I kinda saw him more as deeper voice kinda like Sanji from One Piece. But everything was done pretty well. Does anyone know if they did any editing. It didn't seem like it was edited? Oh and if any of you saw the second Naruto movie they actually had a curse word. I couldn't beilive it. But back on GL, Does anyone know when the dvd's dubbed will come out? But i'm waiting for a box set since its gonna be on TV.
abynormal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The only editing I noticed was a few cuts that were trimmed for time. Otherwise they didn't leave anything out. We'll see what they do with episode 6...
sj21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
yeah what happens in episode six i hear there is a nude scene or something.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:

(What follows is a very general description of what fanservice / content is actually in the episode, but absolutely no details or spoilers about the "plot" or specific events / characters, so I think most people wouldn't mind knowing this and it wouldn't ruin anyone's viewing experience)

spoiler[
There's not really any actual nudity...just fanservice, dirty humor and skimpy outfits. ]

I believe they'll be using the edited version of episode 6 which aired on Japanese TV so it's not like the Sci-Fi channel would need to do much on their own. At least that's what I heard.

spoiler[
That version cuts out part of the episode, replaces some scenes with recap footage and alters the plot a little. Not exactly pretty, but it's not really an important episode anyways.]

EDIT: Added spoiler tags, since apparently someone was concerned after the fact, but I don't think it's really a problem.

Last edited by nightjuan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 13 times in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
sj21 wrote:

There's not really any actual nudity...just fanservice, dirty humor and skimpy outfits.

Reminds me of that one awesome Outlaw Star episode. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
sj21 wrote:

There's not really any actual nudity...just fanservice, dirty humor and skimpy outfits.

Okay, just a reminder, there are a bunch of people here that haven't seen the show yet. So like just becareful with stuff like this.

As for edits, my experience with SciFi is that they leave things unedited if there is nudity, and just mosaic the relevant parts. That and no F or S words.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Okay, just a reminder, there are a bunch of people here that haven't seen the show yet. So like just becareful with stuff like this.

I'd argue that hardly spoils anything, but I can go back and tag it if you're concerned.

Might want to edit your quote of my post though.

Knowing whether the episode has actual nudity or not doesn't mean too much except, say, as a form of content advisory. Like reading the ESRB rating on a video game box before you even buy it.

I didn't even say "Character X has a scene where Y happens". I only said "there is this kind of content, but not that one".

Can that be considered to be a real "spoiler"? I'd disagree, because that really doesn't say what the episode is about and my intention was just to provide some help. No more, no less.

Last edited by nightjuan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
IOh and if any of you saw the second Naruto movie they actually had a curse word. I couldn't beilive it.
Not trying to go way off-topic here, but on what scene did this happen? It's been a while since CN allowed a curse word on Naruto (though, saying "bull" isn't much of a curse word).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

I'd argue that hardly spoils anything, but I can go back and tag it if you're concerned.

I agree, which is why I didn't say it needed spoilers. Thing is if a bunch of people dance around certain issues enough(this happens at x, expect this coming from y), Even though individually none of them amount to spoilers, then by just reading through the thread one can pretty much guess by putting the pieces together what's going to happen in an upcoming episode. So it's great everyone is excited and all, I was really just asking for some slight caution when talking about the future direction of the series.

And just so you know, it wasn't anything against you.
sj21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
sj21 wrote:
IOh and if any of you saw the second Naruto movie they actually had a curse word. I couldn't beilive it.
Not trying to go way off-topic here, but on what scene did this happen? It's been a while since CN allowed a curse word on Naruto (though, saying "bull" isn't much of a curse word).

During spoiler[The fight with Sakura and that Wolf Girl she says "Damn you,
not much but hey i was shocked.]
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CN has also shown a curse on .Hack//Roots because well it came on at like 5 a.m I must have been the only one who even saw it (couldn't sleep well) but that's not the point. Considering that episode 6 has a 11:30 p.m time slot as opposed to the earlier time slot it had in japan it might not even be censored.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
After having seen the first two episodes, I have to say my first impression was kind of wrong.
Even though Kamina's VA isn't as over-the-top manly, he is still very, very good, only different. I would say that it doesn't fit as good as the Japanese, but it's still really, really good.
The rest of the dub cast is pure awesome, it just feels right (With the exception of Dayakka, where I am not sure. We only heard him once after Leeron appeared and he sounded like a woman, I think...).
I could slap myself in the face for ordering the Vol.1 Barebone, simply because I had no hopes for the dub. I thought "They can't make Who the hell do you think I am? as good in English." Sure, they didn't, but it's still totally awesome.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well the next two episodes come on tonight. I think I need to give simon a chance though he's not as bad as everyone says spoiler[I don't know if I can get through the second half of the series without liking him considering some of the things that happen to the characters I do like.]
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well the next two episodes come on tonight. I think I need to give simon a chance though he's not as bad as everyone says spoiler[I don't know if I can get through the second half of the series without liking him considering some of the things that happen to the characters I do like.]

actually I've not heard much dislike for Simon's voice. it's Kamina who gets the most critics (though I've already said how much I love his delivery)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 24