• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I mean, no offense, but you've got a He-man avatar - that's not exactly any more or less kiddish in the long run.

THIS. Plus comparing kid's anime to an American show for toddlers is... a terrible comparison.

What? You mean a kid trying to revive his mom with alchemy only to kill his brother and maim his own leg and arm in the process isn't comparable to Ninja Turtles? Laughing It's all kiddy cartoons
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Has there ever really been a case where there was a posting made from an official company on Amazon, which ended up not being real? I honestly can't think of any. I think our skepticism comes from the surprise of it, along with NVG recently saying there was "no plans" for a sub yet. It's a popular PR phrase, but they could have had it all along and couldn't announce it yet.

New Video Group is just releasing it, Toei is the company that has rights to it. Yes, Toei Japan just allowed Toei US to handle their stuff without having to worry about the middle man.

That's kind of... irrelevant to what I said there, and reads out sort of strange. Nowhere in my quote did I say that NVG "owned it" or anything. When I say "had it", I of course meant the license to release it, period.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Has there ever really been a case where there was a posting made from an official company on Amazon, which ended up not being real? I honestly can't think of any. I think our skepticism comes from the surprise of it, along with NVG recently saying there was "no plans" for a sub yet. It's a popular PR phrase, but they could have had it all along and couldn't announce it yet.

New Video Group is just releasing it, Toei is the company that has rights to it. Yes, Toei Japan just allowed Toei US to handle their stuff without having to worry about the middle man.

That's kind of... irrelevant to what I said there, and reads out sort of strange. Nowhere in my quote did I say that NVG "owned it" or anything. When I say "had it", I of course meant the license to release it, period.

Yeah, it is relevant to what you said, NVG has no say in the matter. They wouldn't know if a sub-only is coming out, unless Toei tells them about it. You have to email Toei if the sub-only is real or not.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well it more or less was worded really weird. And I'm pretty sure the company releasing the actual product, would have an idea about it. Especially since it's dated to the EXACT day that one of their other property (the dub version) is listed at. It's not like Toei would throw them a curve ball and suddenly ask to release it :p Publishers KNOW these things ahead of time, but aren't always allowed to tell you if they have a property or not right away. THAT is all on Toei allowing them to say anything.

Also, Toei's website is terrible, doesn't have an email link listed, nor even include Digimon as one of their titles, so scratch that off the list.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
There's also one option nobody's considering: there were no plans that the PR guy was aware of. The company I work for's horrible about that sort of thing(as in, I had to find out about a change in the system from a customer).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
And that's completely possible too. PR/customer service aren't always in the know, compared to the people actually working on it, whom you don't usually get to speak to.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Digimon is one of my favorite titles growing up and yeah, the dub jokes are distracting and unnecessary, but the characterization is excellent and the action is always exciting with many great villains over the course of the series with my personal favorite of them all is of course Myotismon.

If that set is released in stores, it's my personal nostalgic series and so, I would so get it in a heartbeat!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Bad news, guys. Although I haven't received an email back from NVG,
this showed up on TRSI today.... That's right, it looks like along side the full season, they are releasing them as separate sets, but DUB only... Amazon still has it listed as Japanese w/subs though.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Bumped for some official news (and details) via email about the smaller sets:

Quote:
Hello!
The newest set listed on Amazon is simply a smaller release of the big set. It will be a 3-DVD set with the first 21 episodes of Season 1 (as opposed to the 8-DVD set that has all 54 episodes of Season 1). The language will also be English-dubbed (no Japanese audio track, no subtitles). Flatiron Film/New Video will be releasing this set as well – the product page will be updated soon. Please note this 3-DVD set does not include the two bonus photo galleries or the specialty package found in the 8-DVD set.
Thank you!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn, was really hoping it was a subbed release alongside the dub, but ah well. It was a stretch from the get go.

I may end up going for the smaller sets then, supposing it looks like they'll finish the series in that format as well. I'm really not that big on photo galleries, though I may miss the booklet the bigger set will have.

Wait, three discs and the first 21 episodes? That's...an odd count. Wouldn't it make sense to do either four smaller sets of two discs each, or just two smaller ones of four each?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
If I had to guess, there's probably an arc break there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10